Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RickAgresta, Oct 10, 2007.
"Excuse me, is that an N95 snake?"
Some face covers are called gators...
Wisconsin man shocked to discover a brain washed up on the beach
by Alaa Elassar, cnn.com
September 20, 2020 06:30 AM
Police at the scene where the brain was found.
A Wisconsin man strolling along the beach was stunned after discovering an animal brain wrapped in aluminum foil that had washed up on the shore.
James Senda was hunting for sea glass Tuesday at Samuel Myers Park in Racine when he came across a brick-shaped package wrapped in aluminum foil with a pink rubber band.
Suspecting the package contained money or drugs and overcome with curiosity, Senda unwrapped the package only to discover a brain -- along with pink flowers and foreign money.
"When I first opened it, I think I was so shocked it didn't click what it was," Senda told CNN. "I walked up to city workers nearby and I was like, 'Did I just find a brain?'"
Police said on Thursday the brain did not belong to a human, but medical examiners are unsure what animal it came from, CNN affiliate WDJT reported.
Some member of the community suspect the brain may have been part of a send-off ritual for the dead, which includes items -- such as money and flowers -- they can use in the afterlife, but no one "can explain the brain," Senda said.
The brain was larger than the size of his extended hand and was not decomposed, he said.
"I'm glad I'm the one who found it," Senda added. "Imagine a grandma or mom, or a kid that was playing nearby, was the one who saw and unwrapped it. I'm 47 and I'm freaked out about it."
Internet: Old TV caused village broadband outages for 18 months
Switching off the problem television fixed the issue for Aberhosan villagers, Openreach says
The mystery of why an entire village lost its broadband every morning at 7am was solved when engineers discovered an old television was to blame.
An unnamed householder in Aberhosan, Powys, was unaware the old set would emit a signal which would interfere with the entire village's broadband.
After 18 months engineers began an investigation after a cable replacement programme failed to fix the issue.
The embarrassed householder promised not to use the television again.
The village now has a stable broadband signal.
Openreach engineers were baffled by the continuous problem and it wasn't until they used a monitoring device that they found the fault.
The householder would switch their TV set on at 7am every morning - and electrical interference emitted by their second-hand television was affecting the broadband signal.
The owner, who does not want to be identified, was "mortified" to find out their old TV was causing the problem, according to Openreach.
"They immediately agreed to switch it off and not use it again," said engineer Michael Jones.
Engineers walked around the village with a monitor called a spectrum analyser to try to find any "electrical noise" to help pinpoint the problem.
"At 7am, like clockwork, it happened," said Mr Jones.
"Our device picked up a large burst of electrical interference in the village.
"It turned out that at 7am every morning the occupant would switch on their old TV which would, in turn, knock out broadband for the entire village."
The TV was found to be emitting a single high-level impulse noise (SHINE), which causes electrical interference in other devices.
Mr Jones said the problem has not returned since the fault was identified.
What else can cause broadband problems?
Suzanne Rutherford, Openreach chief engineer's lead for Wales, said anything with electric components - from outdoor lights to microwaves - can potentially have an impact on broadband connections.
"We'd just advise the public to make sure that their electric appliances are properly certified and meet current British standards," she said.
"And if you have a fault, report it to your service provider in the first instance so that we can investigate."
How Work Became an Inescapable He#@hole
Instead of optimizing work, technology has created a nonstop barrage of notifications and interactions. Six months into a pandemic, it's worse than ever.
THIS STORY IS adapted from Can't Even: How Millennials Became the Burnout Generation, by Anne Helen Petersen
The first thing I hear in the morning is my SleepCycle app, which is supposedly monitoring my movements in order to “gently” wake me as I emerge from sleep. I swipe it off and see the first alerts from the various news apps on my phone: bad things, getting worse. I check the Covid numbers in my county, then in my mom’s county. As I lie in bed, my thumb goes to Instagram for truly unknown reasons, but I’m less interested in seeing what others have posted than how many people have liked whatever photo I posted the night before. I check my personal email. I check my work email. I deleted the Twitter app off my phone, but don’t worry: You can always just open Chrome and go to Twitter.com.
I get out of bed and yell at Alexa a few times to turn on NPR. I turn on the shower. As it warms up, I check Slack to see if there’s anything I need to attend to as the East Coast wakes up. When I get out of the shower, the radio’s playing something interesting, so while I’m standing there in my towel, I look it up online and tweet it. I get dressed and get my coffee and sit down at the computer, where I spend a solid hour and a half reading things, tweeting things, and waiting for them to get fav’ed. I post one of the stories I read to the Facebook page of 43,000 followers that I’ve been running for a decade. I check back in five minutes to see if anyone’s commented on it. I tell myself I should try to get to work while forgetting this is kind of my work.
I think, I should really start writing. I go to...
story continued at:
54-Year-Old Man Dies From Eating Too Much Licorice
A 54-year-old man has died due to overconsumption of a candy - black licorice.
The man, a Massachusetts resident, ate a bag and a half of the candies every day for two weeks prior to his death, the New York Post is reporting.
Licorice contains the sweetener glycyyhizic acid, which can deplete a person’s potassium levels and contribute to heart problems, high blood pressure, edema, and lethargy, doctors said in a New England Journal of Medicine article that came out Wednesday, Sept. 23.
When the man died - he collapsed inside a fast food restaurant - doctors said he had extremely low potassium levels, which led to heart rhythm problems.
The FDA actually has a warning out for black licorice - the red kind is okay. If you are age 40 or older, eating 2 ounces of black licorice a day for at least two weeks could land you in the hospital.
If you’re going to eat licorice, the FDA recommends
No matter your age, don’t eat large amounts of black licorice at one time
If you did eat a lot of black licorice and are experiencing irregular heartbeats or muscle weakness - stop eating the candy and call a health care provider
Black licorice can interact with some medications, herbs, and dietary supplements. Consult a health care professional if you have questions.
Police seize 345,000 used condoms that were cleaned and sold as new
Story by Reuters
Updated 11:48 AM ET, Thu September 24, 2020
The used condoms were seized in a warehouse located in the Binh Duong province in Vietnam.
Police in Vietnam have confiscated an estimated 345,000 used condoms which had been cleaned and resold as new, state media reported.
Footage broadcast by state-owned Vietnam Television (VTV) this week showed dozens of large bags containing the used contraceptives scattered across the floor of a warehouse in the southern province of Binh Duong.
Police said the bags weighed more than 360 kilograms (794 lbs), equivalent to 345,000 condoms, according to VTV.
The owner of the warehouse said they had received a "monthly input of used condoms from an unknown person," state newspaper Tuoi Tre reported.
A woman detained during the bust told police that the used prophylactics were first boiled in water then dried and reshaped on a wooden phallus before being repackaged and resold.
VTV said it was not clear how many of the recycled condoms had already been sold. The detained woman said she had received $0.17 for every kilogramme of recycled condoms she produced.
Neither she nor the owner of the warehouse were available for comment.
Good thing I HATE licorice, red or black.
That must qualify as one of the worst jobs around... From the data in the article, each condom weighs 1.043 grams. Meaning that to earn $ 0.17 that woman had to dry and reshape 958 condoms (1 kg total weight) on that wooden phallus. I wonder if the condoms were also lubricated... maybe that would make the job easier . I also wonder if they took precautions to avoid getting wood splinters into the production line
Separate names with a comma.