Odd news of the day

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RickAgresta, Oct 10, 2007.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

so, I wanted to see what version Weatherbug was offered in the Play Store -- varies by device. there was a little blurb about go to website for more information...so I did. THIS is where things get interesting.....

On the Weatherbug site, I see this:
    upload_2020-1-17_12-51-34.png

GroundTruth? hmmm, what's that?
    and at the bottom of the page, I see this:
    upload_2020-1-17_12-52-28.png

so I go to the GroundTruth site, which is playing a repeating slideshow, extolling their virtues....one of which is this:

upload_2020-1-17_12-54-6.png

while it may just be naivete on my part, I'd rather not have an app that prides itself (or its' parent does) on collecting/analyzing/predicting what RA is going to do.
    so long weatherbug, it was fun while it lasted. as always, YMMV sigh... now, how do I de-Googleize an Android phone......?

EDIT: added a missing word, took out an extra letter. truth in advertising, or something like that...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    headcronie, lelisa13p, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Well, technically, root + Lineage OS + F-droid store. :vbwink:

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

GroundTruth knew you were going to uninstall Weatherbug. :)

4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I had not even noticed that WeatherBug had been sold by EarthNetworks, way back in 2016. Sold to a different ad company. xAd, which evidently is now GroundTruth. I've had the paid version of WeatherBug for years, so I never see ads. Doesn't mean they aren't tracking me, but being that I block ads in every website, they have little to no impact on me, because I never see ads. :D

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Space Force or Star Trek? Trump unveils new logo nearly identical to Starfleet Command logo

Trump's new Space Force logo is seemingly beamed up straight from the Enterprise. The president revealed the official logo for the Space Force in a tweet on Friday, and people were quick to point out its striking resemblance to the iconic logo for Starfleet, the space force for the United Federation of Planets in the "Star Trek" universe.

"After consultation with our Great Military Leaders, designers, and others, I am pleased to present the new logo for the United States Space Force, the Sixth Branch of our Magnificent Military!" Trump tweeted, along with a photo of the new design.
    EPE6t6aX4AEFUnX.jpg
    George Takei

✔@GeorgeTakei

There is nothing sacred any more

EPFEl2jWoAIWbam.jpg
    The design has what appears to be Starfleet's delta spaceship symbol at its center, surrounded by the familiar blue globe, white stars and swooshed rings.

The Space Force, the sixth and newest branch of the armed forces created to handle threats in space, was made official last month when Congress passed a $738 billion military bill. Mr. Trump has pushed for its creation throughout his presidency.

Former "Star Trek" cast member George Takei was quick to respond to the controversial logo. "Ahem. We are expecting some royalties from this," he tweeted Friday afternoon. CBS, which owns the logo, did not immediately comment.

link: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/space-...-identical-starfleet-command-logo-2020-01-24/

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I'm humming the theme song...

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

Hook, RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  7. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Ah, but which one? ST:TOS or ST:TNG? :vbsmile:

8. scjjtt

I really wanted to hum ST:TNG because I like it better but unfortunately, as much as I despise those high female voices at the beginning of ST:TOS - it was that old theme song my mind went to first.

lelisa13p, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  9. scjjtt

This helps take those disgusting high voices - combining old & new:

Star Trek (2009) Ending Credits

10. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

The first thing I noticed (after the similarity) is that the text at the bottom says 'Department of the Air Force,' which suggests that it's not a fully independent branch. Not sure, but just an observation.

scjjtt likes this.