Odd news of the day

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RickAgresta, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

If we still had Zippy, I'd be banging away. :thumbsup:

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Love, Zippy :vbgrin:

Zippy's Box_Green.png

jigwashere, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

scjjtt likes this.
  4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I am in this boat. I planned on getting an iPhone 11 of some sort; but backed off because it was not 5G-compatible. If I'm going to spend $1200 give or take, I plan on holding it for a few years as phone development has plateaued some. Now, I hear that the next iPhone may not be 5G either, which is a bummer. I may just do it anyway. Many of the reasons for going Android are going away. You used to be able to get a very nice flagship with a card slot and a headphone jack; but most makers followed Apple and did away with that in their top phones. Plus, they're no longer much of a bargain either and other than a few niche makers, we're mostly left with Samsung and Pixel, neither of which I love. I wish HTC had hung on; but they would make a great phone with a big flaw each generation. They never seemed to get it all together. Then they sold out.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  5. RickAgresta

Booby traps: Man in Maine killed by own device
    A 65-year-old American man who rigged his home with a booby trap to keep out intruders has been killed by the device.

Ronald Cyr called police in the town of Van Buren in the state of Maine to say he had been shot.

Police found a door had been designed to fire a handgun should anyone attempt to enter. Mr Cyr was taken to hospital but died of his injuries.

It is not uncommon for home-owners to install such traps - but it is illegal.

Police in Van Buren, which borders the Canadian province of New Brunswick, said they responded to a 911 call in the early evening of Thanksgiving, last Thursday, from a man who said he had been shot.

"Following an extensive investigation that lasted into the early morning... it was determined that Mr Cyr had been shot as the result of the unintentional discharge of one of his homemade devices," the police department said in a Facebook post.

"Regretfully, Mr Cyr succumbed to the injuries he sustained from the gunshot."

It is not known how he managed to set off the device.

Posters note: some of the other boobytrap examples are 'interesting'

Link: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50619952

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  6. RickAgresta

dryly, RA says
    …accidentally, I should think…

lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

How Safe Are Motorcycle Helmets From Arrows?

...He starts with a traditional recurve bow, quite similar to the antique Hoyt Pro Medalist that I shoot. The first shot is straight toward the visor, which we know protects your head from little more than road debris and bird droppings. Predictably, the arrow penetrates the visor somewhere between three to five inches. Honestly, that's far less than I expected it to penetrate based on my own experience of stabbing things from far away. After rotating the helmet onto its side he shoots at the top of it. While the tip definitely leaves a mark, it bounces right off. It seems that the plastic of this particular helmet is safe from piercing damage of an arrow moving 180 feet per second. Don't worry, though, this is just the beginning.

Edwin breaks out a compound bow, something that we in the traditional archery community refer to as "training wheels." It is certainly more powerful and accurate, however, as shown by two arrows penetrating in one end, out the other, and even slightly into a second helmet sitting next to it. Then the even more powerful crossbows come out, and these helmets don't stand a chance.

Nor should they be expected to. Helmets are designed to protect your head from a major impact against a solid object, such as the ground or a guardrail. In Dungeons and Dragons terminology, they are designed to protect you from bludgeoning damage. They are not designed to protect you from the piercing damage of an arrow. Certainly, a stronger shell, as well as shapes that would tend to deflect the arrow, would help with this, but how often do riders find themselves on the pointy end of a flying arrow? Hopefully never.

<< LINK >>

Commentary: I'm surprised the website is called "RideApart" and not something like "The Wastelands Gazzette" or "Survival Tips from Mad Max"

Surprise #2: This article appeared on my Google feed. No idea why. I haven't searched for motorcycles or reinforced helmets, or armor-piercing arrows. I did watch Avengers: Age of Ultron last night, and there was some fancy arrow shooting by Hawkeye. Could Google be analyzing whatever I watch on my phone?

lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  8. RickAgresta

Static noises
    Command, this is Mockingbird -- he's figured us out. Do we make it look like a careless accident (who inspects a loaded crossbow with his nose?), or an act of nature?
    More Static noises

9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I wouldn't expect a bike helmet to be really protective against penetration injuries, especially something like an arrow. Sure, one could fall in a specific way where you fall on an shaft-like object, but that has to be a very small subset of bike injuries. I say this as someone who wiped out on a bike as a kid (an era before bike helmets were common) and knocked myself out.

scjjtt likes this.
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

An evacuation slide from a Delta jet landed in a man’s front yard
    The Points Guyby Victoria M. Walker

[​IMG]
    A Massachusetts man standing outside of his home on Dec. 1 had something unexpected fall from the sky — but it wasn’t a leaf or even a stray tree branch.

An evacuation slide from a Delta Air Lines jet from Paris (CDG) to Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) landed in a Milton, Massachusetts man’s front yard. The six-foot slide came from the wing of a Boeing 767-300, according to the Boston Herald. No injuries were reported.

The pilot of Delta Air Lines Flight 405 reported a loud noise as the plane approached Boston around noon on Sunday, according to the Boston Globe, citing a report from the Federal Aviation Administration. After the plane landed, it was discovered that the right rear slide was missing. Milton Police notified state police at Boston Airport and the FAA and Delta officials took the slide from the man’s yard, the Globe reported.

Wenhan Huang, the reported homeowner, told local station WCVB 5 that he was doing yard work when the slide landed on his yard. He said he called the FAA.

“It’s kind of crazy,” Huang told WCVB. “Who could know there’s something coming from the air and (it) drops into my yard, right?”

Milton Select Board Chair Michael Zullas told the Boston Herald that “a lot of people in Milton are angry. This is the second time in 10 years that something fell out of the sky over Milton.”

The body of a North Carolina teenager was found in Milton in 2010, according to reports at the time. The teen, who had most likely stowed away inside the plane’s wheel well and fallen as the plane approached landing, is believed to have gotten on the plane in Charlotte.

Boeing was warned by the FAA in 2015 about evacuation slides, after “multiple reports of uncommanded escape slide inflation.” The FAA, according to the Wall Street Journal, didn’t view the problem as an “imminent hazard.”

Featured photo by Benji Stawski/The Points Guy.