Odd news of the day

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RickAgresta, Oct 10, 2007.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

This Dog Reacting to ‘That Scene’ from the Lion King is Giving Me All the Feels

“So Hannah and I were watching the Lion King while Luna played wildly with her toys. But right as Mufasa falls to his death, she stops and turns to the TV to watch. To see her crying at the TV was the sweetest thing I think I’ve ever seen. She even lays down right after Simba lays with his dad….We don’t deserve dogs. 4 months old and she’s already showing empathy.”

<<LINK>>

It's a touching video. I wonder how would Luna react to other family movies like Bambi, Saw 7, and Deadpool 2. Oh, I almost forgot Finding Nemo. :D :D

2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Raspa, My mom sent me that one!

raspabalsa likes this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Teacher wins $10K for reading fine print in insurance policy

startribune.com | March 6, 2019 01:28 PM

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — A Florida travel insurance company has awarded a Georgia high school teacher $10,000 for reading the fine print in a policy she recently purchased.

A Squaremouth statement says Donelan Andrews claimed the prize 23 hours after the contest began.

The St. Petersburg-based company says it launched the secret contest Feb. 11. Buried in the fine print was a promise of $10,000 for the first person to send an email to a specific address.

Besides the $10,000 for Andrews, Squaremouth says it's giving another $10,000 to a children's literacy charity, plus $5,000 each to the two schools where Andrews teaches consumer economics.

Andrews says she applied for retirement a week before winning the contest. The prize will fund a trip to Scotland with her husband to celebrate their 35th wedding anniversary.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

4. jigwashere

Off course: British Airways plane mistakenly lands in Scotland, not Germany
    LONDON — The flight on Monday seemed to go perfectly well, until passengers realized that their plane had landed in both the wrong city and the wrong country.

The British Airways flight from London City Airport was supposed to head to Duesseldorf, Germany, but ended up in Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland.

The airline said Monday the problem started when an incorrect flight plan was filed by WDL Aviation, which operated the flight on behalf of British Airways. Officials say the pilot followed the flight plan for Edinburgh, and that air traffic control officials also were following the same flight plan and saw nothing amiss.

WDL aviation said it was trying to determine the cause of the "obviously unfortunate mix-up."

The flight was refueled and set off again, this time directly to Duesseldorf.

raspabalsa, scjjtt, Hook and 2 others like this.
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

gee, it seems to me that if it's the wrong country, it has to be the wrong city, too <RA hurriedly Googles 'city in 2 countries' and sees he is terribly mistaken...I think... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_divided_cities >

lelisa13p, Hook, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  6. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Consider also that you can find cities with the same name on several countries... just sayin'

7. jigwashere

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Jig, that story about the $10K is great, thanks!

I feel a bit bad for British Airways. They are in all the headlines, but they were just supplying the 'hardware.' Apparently, the charter company, WDL, was responsible for the screw-up of airport codes. Most people won't get that far into the story and BA will get blamed.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  9. jigwashere

Woman with two wombs gives birth twice, nearly a month apart
    A 20-year-old Bangladeshi woman gave birth to twins, 26 days after giving birth to her first child.

Arifa Sultana gave birth to a boy in late February, according to Dr. Sheila Poddar, a gynecologist at Ad-Din hospital in Dhaka. After a normal delivery, the mother and baby were released from a different Dhaka hospital. Less than four weeks later, she was admitted to Ad-Din hospital.

"She came to the hospital complaining of lower abdominal pain," said Poddar. Doctors performed an ultrasound and realized Sultana was pregnant with twins, Poddar added.

Sultana had two uteruses, a condition called uterus didelphys. Her first baby and the twins were conceived and grown in separate wombs.

She did not get an ultrasound before the first delivery. So, it was missed, said Poddar.

"It is not very common to have two uteruses. When the uterus develops, it comes from two tubes and those tubes fuse together. For some women, the fusion does not occur and the dividing wall does not dissolve," said Dr. S.N. Basu, head of obstetrics and gynecology at Max Healthcare hospital in New Delhi.

Poddar was able to quickly perform a C-section to deliver twins: a boy and a girl. "All three children are safe and healthy," Poddar said. "The mother is also fine."

A uterus didelphys is a rare congenital abnormality and the occurrence of twin gestation has an overall incidence rate of one in a million, according to the National Institute of Health.

For it not to be discovered before the birth is even less common.

"From rural areas, people don't know what is wrong with them, they don't know how many children they are pregnant with and sometimes whether they are pregnant also," said Basu.

10. jigwashere

I finally saw Deadpool 1 & 2, courtesy of my local library. :)