Odd news of the day

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RickAgresta, Oct 10, 2007.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

wouldn't that nearly require renaming it from Deadpool to something more like Not_too_badly_injured-Puddle?

raspabalsa, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I don't think that will be necessary. Death is perfectly acceptable in PG-13 films. As Deadpool himself says at the beginning of Deadpool 2: "every good family film starts with a vicious murder. Bambi, The Lion King, Saw 7... ". He forgot to mention Finding Nemo, which begins with about 5000 vicious murders.

The strange thing is, murder is acceptable in kid movies but profanity isn't? Kind of weird if you ask me. After all, family is an F-word. Deadpool himself says that, although later he reverses his opinion. There's so much to learn from those two movies! :D

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  3. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

lelisa13p, jigwashere and raspabalsa like this.
  4. raspabalsa

Nightmares?? Why? It was a lovely video! :D :D I saw it yesterday and was debating whether or not to post it here.

I once fed my tarantula (Torturantula IV it was) a live field mouse I caught in the plant. I was too enthralled to think about recording it. The action was great, but even I must admit that the aftermath was really gross. BTW, my tarantula was also a Pamphobeteus, like the one in the video with the opossum.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  5. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I know there are independent organizations that edit films. There's one for a 'toy free childhood,' which takes out product placements and one that makes expurgated versions that eliminate sex and profanity; but I think they lost a court case because they were providing edited versions of others' intellectual property without permission for sale at places like Walmart. I know parents that personally edit films before letting their kids watch them.

Edit: Oh and the fight between how violence versus sex and profanity is rated in movies is a long-term bugaboo for people in the movie business. There's a great film called 'This Film is Rated...' that includes coverage of that issue (and others).

scjjtt likes this.
  6. raspabalsa

Stormtropis: New Genus of Bald-Legged Spiders Named after Star Wars’ Stormtroopers

An international team of researchers has described six new species of bald-legged spiders from Colombia and established a new genus for four of them, Stormtropis.

Bald-legged spiders are members of Paratropididae, a family of only 11 very similarly looking, small- to medium-sized species, whose placement in the Tree of Life has long been a matter of debate.

One of the most striking qualities of these creatures is their ability to adhere soil particles to their cuticle, which allows them to be camouflaged by the environment.

The six new species of bald-legged spiders were discovered by Dr. William Galvis of the Universidad Nacional de Colombia and Dr. Carlos Perafan and Dr. Fernando Perez-Miles from the Universidad de la Republica.

“Four of the novel spiders — Stormtropis colima, S. muisca, S. paisa and S. parvum — were unable to fit into any already existing genus, so we had to create a brand new one for them, which we called Stormtropis in reference to the Star Wars’ clone trooper army known as stormtroopers,” the scientists explained.

“The stormtroopers are the soldiers of the main ground force of the Galactic Empire. These soldiers are very similar to each other, with some capacity for camouflage but with unskillful movements, like this group of spiders.”

“We wanted to make a play on words with the name of the known genus, Paratropis, and of course, we also wanted to pay tribute to one of the greatest sagas of all time.”

The new genus is distributed in the central and eastern Cordilleras of Colombia, on the montane forests of the Magdalena Valley and Cauca Valley, between 4,518 and 11,204 feet (1,377-3,415 m) altitudes.

<< LINK >>

I love it! They combined my favorite critters with one of my favorite movie sagas (of course I'm only talking about episodes IV to VI in their original editions)

7. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

So, how long before you have one? :vbwink: :vbcool: :newpalm:

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Don't you mean, "So, how long before they have you?" :confused: ;) :D

9. raspabalsa

Not before late April. That's when I'll go to Colombia. But it would be sad to get one, then leave it there when I return to Bolivia. I wonder if I could get a spiderling and hide it in my bag to bring it to Bolivia. If caught passing customs I could put on a horrified face, scream in panic, and claim it's a stowaway :D

They've had me for a long time... Since my early childhood. When I was a teenager I built a big glass vivarium and kept about 50 jumping spiders. I had to continuously replenish the population since they preyed on each other, even though I constantly fed them flies and small crickets. I used to spend hours every day watching them. Mom used to say she was going to send me to a shrink because what I did wasn't normal :(

scjjtt, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

YAY MOM! :vbgrin: < lelisa13p high-fives raspy's Mom :vbsmile: >

(Purely based on how I feel about creepy critters. :vbtongue: )