Odd news of the day

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RickAgresta, Oct 10, 2007.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

<<LINK>>

:vbeek::vbeek::vbeek:

I know what's next: Deadpool won't use the F-word :(

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Aw, man! Bummers, both. :vbwink:

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Manhole Cover
    [​IMG]
    A plump rat stuck in a manhole cover spurred volunteer firefighters and animal rescue workers to act in Bensheim, Germany, over the weekend. Berufstierrettung-Rhein-Neckar/AP hide caption toggle caption Berufstierrettung-Rhein-Neckar/AP

Sometimes the lowly sewer rat is the target of shrieks, kicks and extermination attempts. And sometimes yesterday's vermin becomes today's vaunted victim, inspiring a phalanx of rescuers to come to its aid.

At least that is what happened over the weekend in Germany, where a firefighter-cum-corpulent-critter rescue crew worked to free the animal in a pinch with a manhole cover.

An employee with the animal rescue group Rhein-Neckar had tried and failed to save the rat in the town of Bensheim Sunday, the Auerbach Volunteer Fire Department said in a statement. Realizing reinforcements were needed, firefighters were called in. No matter that they were responding to a "small animal" rescue call, they arrived aboard their firetruck, armed with equipment and decked out in full gear.

Operation rat disgorgement was underway.

At least eight firefighters encircled the manhole, taking in the animal's pitiful plight. The rat was secured with a loop at the end of the pole, then the crew propped up the cover, held aloft with wedges. The suspended rodent wiggled as a firefighter worked a glove underneath in an effort to gently pop it out. It took some maneuvering, but finally the rat was released.

Watch the video:

In a what may have been an optimism that the rat had learned a lesson, its rescuers placed it back inside the sewer hole whence it had tried to emerge. Or maybe there is no other logical place for a sewer rat.

Whether it will be avoiding wee apertures or knocking off the knockwurst remains to be seen.

4. jigwashere

We've seen this before:

5. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

jigwashere, raspabalsa and lelisa13p like this.
  6. raspabalsa

Yeah, but that's an alternative version, and it doesn't replace the F-word-ladened original version. The consensus seems to be that every new Deadpool movie will be "Once upon..." versions only.

However, I've read that it may be worthy to watch the sanitized Deadpool 2 movie. The trailer is funny enough.

lelisa13p, jigwashere and Mi An like this.
  7. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I wasn't sure you'd seen that before when I read your comment. But I haven't actually seen deadpool and when I spotted that trailer, I kind of considered checking it out. Princess Bride is hilarious and I thought Fred Savage was really funny in the Grinder and I think something else recently. My biggest reservation is that I don't want to watch once upon a deadpool until they make the prequel.

raspabalsa, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  8. raspabalsa

If you mean Once Upon A Deadpool, I haven't seen it. But I've seen Deadpool 1 and 2 several times. They're among my favorite superhero movies. Well, Deadpool is among my favorite movies period. The opening sequence is just amazing.

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  9. jigwashere

Oh, I haven't seen Deadpool, yet! I'd better get on that.

lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

not sure that this is news, per se, but I certainly found it odd....
    backstory: I now work for a British company, and as such, I often find myself translating UK-English to US-English, especially when reading SOPs or Global Policies....

today's adventure began with what I thought (still do) was the use of assure instead of ensure. google to the rescue...found this resource:
    https://brians.wsu.edu/2016/05/17/assure-ensure-insure/ ... Washington State University, probably reliable, might have some insight into language differences...No such luck, nothing I hadn't seen elsewhere. now for the odd part....

If any of you go to that link, on the left-hand side, you'll see this:

upload_2019-3-1_13-6-9.png
    Nuclear War-Related Materials?! is that a good thing to find, or not so much good? anywho....

raspabalsa, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.