Odd news of the day

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RickAgresta, Oct 10, 2007.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Horrifying finger attachment lets your phone touch you back https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/10/05/finger-attachment-phone-touch-you-back/

Horrifying finger attachment lets your phone touch you back
    It can also prop up your phone and let you control device settings.
    [​IMG]
    Mallory Locklear, 7h ago
    Have you ever wished your phone could tap you when you had a notification, drag itself over to you on its own or touch you back? No? Too bad. Researchers in France have developed a finger-like phone and tablet attachment that can do all of those things and more. Called MobiLimb, it's made up of five servo motors, an Arduino microcontroller and a sensor, and it can do a number of unsettling things that are straight out of nightmares.

"In the spirit of human augmentation, which aims at overcoming human body limitations by using robotic devices, our approach aims at overcoming mobile device limitations (static, passive, motionless) by using a robotic limb," Marc Teyssier, one of the researchers behind MobiLimb, writes on his website. And to be fair, MobiLimb actually has some rather useful capabilities.

[​IMG]

On the less creepy side, MobiLimb can be used to prop up a phone when you're watching a video, control phone settings and provide an additional way to grip your device. But on the extra creepy side, it can caress your arm as you hold your phone or be dressed to look like a human finger.

While there are some clear benefits to using MobiLimb, if you're like me, the unnerving, autonomous finger would likely make you never want to touch your phone again. But maybe that's not the worst thing these days.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, scjjtt and raspabalsa like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I read about this earlier today, but it truly seemed so unsettling that I decided to pass on posting about it. I imagined the finger dragging along the nightdesk, pulling the phone towards the sleeping owner, with nefarious intent imprinted on its digital will <shudder >.

RickAgresta, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  3. raspabalsa

<< LINK >>

<flabbergasted comment> Is this article serious? I really can't tell. No, I really can't </flabbergasted comment>

4. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

lelisa13p, jigwashere and raspabalsa like this.
  5. raspabalsa

:D :D :D

I thought picking only articles from my Google feed would keep me away from those :vbrolleyes:

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I've seen similar stories to both the destroyed money and the drunk birds.

Recently, maybe CBS Sunday Morning did a piece on how the Treasury will give you replacement bills once they've determined what you have. They had bricks of money that had been burned, buried (and wet) for a long time, etc. I don't think they said it would take 2 years though. I seem to remember from a trip to D.C. as a kid, that the Treasury sold knick-knacks with shredded money in them (from de-commissioned bills).

We had some old fruit trees in the backyard (pear, apple) and at the end of the season (pretty much coming up now), the fruit would sometimes ferment on the ground and the deer would eat it and stumble around. It probably needs the right level of sun and moisture. I've heard that bears do it too.

lelisa13p and raspabalsa like this.
  7. jigwashere

A hospital director received several mysterious phone calls. They came from a gecko.
    [​IMG]
    A gecko, responsible for a series of mysterious calls, sits on top of a touchscreen phone at The Marine Mammal Center in Hawaii.Photo by: Photo: Claire Simeone, The Marine Mammal Center
    Employees at the Ke Kai Ola Marine Mammal Center in Hawaii were receiving mysterious calls last week. Only it wasn't a glitch with their phone system. It was caused by a gecko.

The hospital's director, Claire Simeone, recounted the hilarious incident on Twitter, which started with her receiving nine phone calls in 15 minutes.

"I start to panic a bit, and drive back to the hospital," wrote Simeone. "Seal emergency? I am on it."

She arrived at the hospital, learning the calls were coming from inside, and other employees were also receiving the strange repeated calls with silence on the other end.

After confirming with Hawaiian Telecom, the company running the hospital's phone system, of the "bazillion calls," an operator advised a phone or software could be the issue, Simeone said.

However, it wasn't bad software. It was a lizard.

"THERE IS A GECKO SITTING ON THE TOUCHSCREEN OF THE PHONE, MAKING CALLS WITH HIS TINY GECKO FEET!!!," Simeone wrote, with a picture of the gecko on the phone.

In an email to USA TODAY, Simeone said the gecko has been moved to a plant outside the hospital, far away from any phones.

"Geckos are very common in Hawaii, and they’re always popping up in surprising places," said Simeone. "However, I’ve never seen one dial a phone before! This guy must have found his way inside as we opened a door."

Meanwhile, Twitter users were overjoyed with the gecko's phone prank.

8. raspabalsa

Geckos need no doors to find their way inside anything. Where I work (tropical rainforest in Colombia) geckos are everywhere, even inside the house. Especially inside the house. Every night I see anywhere from 2 to 6 geckos walking the walls and making their loud clicking calls. I've tried sealing the door and windows and searching for nooks and crevices, but still they get inside. I've seen them fighting on the walls, and once I turned the lights on in the kitchen to find a couple engaged in upside down amorous congress on the ceiling beams. I discreetly excused myself and turned the lights off as I left the scene :D . Luckily geckos keep bugs in check and they're cute, so I can't consider them pests. But I wish they were at least toilet trained, because they leave their droppings everywhere :eek:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    scjjtt, Hook, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  9. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

He was probably just trying to sell insurance. :vbrolleyes: :vbwink:

10. jigwashere

Have you considered putting diapers on them?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

scjjtt, RickAgresta, Hook and 3 others like this.