Odd news of the day

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RickAgresta, Oct 10, 2007.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Plastic particles found in bottled water

Tests on major brands of bottled water have found that nearly all of them contained tiny particles of plastic.
    In the largest investigation of its kind, 250 bottles bought in nine different countries were examined.
    Research led by journalism organisation Orb Media discovered an average of 10 plastic particles per litre, each larger than the width of a human hair.
    Companies whose brands were tested told the BBC that their bottling plants were operated to the highest standards.
    The tests were conducted at the State University of New York in Fredonia.
    Read the full scientific report [PDF]
    Sherri Mason, a professor of chemistry at the university, conducted the analysis and told BBC News: "We found [plastic] in bottle after bottle and brand after brand.
    "It's not about pointing fingers at particular brands; it's really showing that this is everywhere, that plastic has become such a pervasive material in our society, and it’s pervading water - all of these products that we consume at a very basic level."
    Currently, there is no evidence that ingesting very small pieces of plastic (microplastics) can cause harm, but understanding the potential implications is an active area of science.

Link to article:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-43388870

scjjtt likes this.
  2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

That's pretty horrifying. :vbeek: Thank goodness my local water supply has (tested) excellent tap water because I only (99.99%) drink water and coffee. :vbsmile:

scjjtt likes this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Plane Loses $368 Million in Gold During Takeoff
    The Points Guy / by Jeffrey Preis
    / 22min ago

[​IMG]
    St. Patrick’s Day came a little early at an airport in Russia. On Thursday morning, an airplane carrying $368 million in gold and other precious metals fell out of the cargo hatch of an AN-12 shortly after taking off from Yakutsk, Russia.

According to Russian news outlets, a damaged door handle is to blame for the loss of the precious metals. The cargo plane, operated by Air Nimbus, continued to drop more gold as it increased its altitude — gold was found as far as 16 miles away from the airport. The pilots decided to land the plane in nearby Magan, northwest of Yakutsk.

Authorities recovered 172 gold bars, or three tons of gold, from the runway; the plane was carrying over nine tons of precious metals in total.

It’s -21C in Yakutia, sunny, we expect showers of diamond, platinum and gold… Plane loses its $368 million cargo; gems and precious metals rain over Russia’s coldest region as police and secret services stage emergency search https://t.co/NsUeOWxZf5pic.twitter.com/8OXd6Al9is

— The Siberian Times (@siberian_times) March 15, 2018

Reports claim the cargo belonged to Chukota Mining and Geological company, 75% of which is owned by Canadian Kinross Gold.

There were no injuries after the cargo hatch failed, but The Siberian Timesreports that the technical engineers who loaded the cargo at Yakutsk Airport (YKS) have been detained.

H/T: CNBC

Featured photo by Chris Clor/Getty Images

EMAIL
    VISIT WEBSITE

scjjtt, lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Maybe not odd, but kind of funny.

That's a fail: Teen on driving test crashes through examination station in Buffalo
    [​IMG]A look at the damage after a teen driver's road test went bad.
    A teenage driver taking her behind-the-wheel test in Buffalo on Wednesday didn't exactly pass with flying colors. She crashed into the driver's examination station before she even got on the road.

The 17-year-old from Monticello inadvertently put the 2014 Chevy Equinox in drive instead of reverse as the test began about 2 p.m. When she stepped on the accelerator, the vehicle lurched forward, jumped the curb and plowed through the front of the station in a strip mall on 1st Avenue S., said Buffalo Police Chief Pat Budke.

She was not hurt, but her vehicle suffered significant damage, the chief said.

The license examiner, a 60-year-old female from Buffalo, was taken to a local hospital with noncritical injuries.

No one inside the office was hurt, but the crash damaged the building's brick wall and glass windows, Budke said.

No charges will be filed, Budke said.

5. RickAgresta

The difference between a snafu, a 'spitshow', and a 'clusterfork'

sadly, the above is about all I can comfortably post here; the link text even had to be modified <eek!>

"keeping it clean since earlier today"

jigwashere, Hook and lelisa13p like this.
  6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

:vbeek: :vbgrin: :thumbsup:

I've known the term SNAFU all my life and never thought about looking up the origin of the word.

jigwashere, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  7. RickAgresta

trump-snow-1.png snow-3.png
    Orange Snow Hit Parts of Europe This Weekend
    A rare phenomenon that occurs just once about every five years is turning the snow orange in eastern Europe.

The orange snow is a result of sand storms from the Sahara Desert mixing with rain and snow, according to the BBC.

People have taken to social media to post photos of the orange-tinted snow, which is falling in countries like Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria and Romania. Skiers posted photos of the colored snow at a resort near Sochi, Russia.

Steven Keates, a meteorologist who works for the U.K.’s national weather service, known as the Met Office, told The Independent that the orange snow is caused by sand being lifted up into the upper layers of the atmosphere and spreading out due to the wind and weather patterns.

more to come in an edit...

link: http://time.com/5214941/orange-snow-europe/

snow-2.png

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  8. RickAgresta

not so much odd as disheartening....

Facebook has been collecting call history and SMS data from Android devices
    iOS devices appear to be unaffected

Facebook has been collecting call records and SMS data from Android devices for years. Several Twitter users have reported finding months or years of call history data in their downloadable Facebook data file. A number of Facebook users have been spooked by the recent Cambridge Analytica privacy scandal, prompting them to download all the data that Facebook stores on their account. The results have been alarming for some.

“Oh wow my deleted Facebook Zip file contains info on every single phone cellphone call and text I made for about a year,” says ‏Twitter user Mat Johnson. Another, Dylan McKay, says “somehow it has my entire call history with my partner’s mum.” Others have found a similar pattern where it appears close contacts, like family members, are the only ones tracked in Facebook’s call records.

Ars Technica reports that Facebook has been requesting access to contacts, SMS data, and call history on Android devices to improve its friend recommendation algorithm and distinguish between business contacts and your true personal friendships. Facebook appears to be gathering this data through its Messenger application, which often prompts Android users to take over as the default SMS client. Facebook has, at least recently, been offering an opt-in prompt that prods users with a big blue button to “continuously upload” contact data, including call and text history. It’s not clear when this prompt started appearing in relation to the historical data gathering, and whether it has simply been opt-in the whole time. Either way, it’s clearly alarmed some who have found call history data stored on Facebook’s servers.

Link: https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/25/17160944/facebook-call-history-sms-data-collection-android

EDIT: related article -- https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/17142806/how-to-delete-facebook-page-account-data-privacy

9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Rick, believe it or not, I heard about FB logging call data on Bill Maher's HBO show this past Friday. I was blown away. I'm a longtime FB-avoider (never on it, still not on it); but that was mind-blowing to me. Every time FB says they've 'reformed' (remember the Beacon scandal, and all the settings changes that would reveal your data 'inadvertantly'?); something like this comes out.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  10. RickAgresta

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.