Odd news of the day

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RickAgresta, Oct 10, 2007.

1. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Leaving sympathy for a billionaire aside, $28K for an $800,000 property is pretty high, especially that far from NYC, etc. Places like Westchester, Connecticut, Long Island, and most of NJ are as bad or worse. I knew who Golisano was; but I didn't realize he was married to Monica Seles.

scjjtt likes this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

EDIT: These are typical geodes https://www.google.com/search?q=geo...5LZAhVMLKwKHXAtCLgQ_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=1107
    Minnesota bakery's unique cake goes viral after people mistake it for female body part
    [​IMG]The cake in question that went viral on Nadia Cakes' Facebook account.
    Nadia Cakes has deliciously sweet baked goods and even better comedic chops.

The bakery, with locations in Maple Grove and Woodbury, made a uniquely suggestive cake using pink fondant frosting with an oval cutout revealing an inside made of pink rock candy.

The winner of Food Network’s “Cupcake Wars” called it a geode cake. The internet saw something a little more, shall we say, suggestive?

After Nadia Cakes posted an image of the $60 round cake to its social media accounts, thousands of people chimed in with opinions that the cake, while impressive, resembled female genitalia.

But it’s how owner and founder Abby Jimenez responded to the revelation that deserves mention. For that, some people are calling her a hero.

“Well, once again we’ve underestimated our customer’s ability to see genitals in our baked goods,” Jimenez wrote in a Facebook post. “Let’s put that cute mushroom cake we had planned in the ‘do not make’ file.”

In another comment, Jimenez said: “Well, it’s official. Our customers are 50% rock enthusiasts and 50% perverts.”

And that’s just a fraction of the gold mine of comments on the topic. Here’s a sampling:

One person said she’s a midwife and agreed that the cake resembles a “vagazzled vulva.”

Reetu Syal, an obstetrician at Partners OB-GYN in Maplewood agreed: “I approve this message. Good colors. Layering. Accurate.”

Nadia Cakes responded in Nadia Cakes fashion: “Thank you! We’ll let the design staff know they’ve replicated a healthy, anatomically correct geode.”

Craving more? Head over to the Nadia Cakes Facebook page, where 95 percent of the comments are not suitable for this family newspaper, and read for yourself.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    RickAgresta likes this.
  3. jigwashere

I don't understand why they think baldness needs a "cure," but I think I'm in. And why haven't I seen an article showing that the double bacon cheeseburger improves intelligence?

CHEMICAL IN MCDONALD’S FRIES COULD CURE BALDNESS, STUDY SAYS
    BY CHRISTINA ZHAO ON 2/5/18 AT 10:01 AM

Japanese scientists may have discovered a cure for baldness—and it lies within a chemical used to make McDonald’s fries.

A stem cell research team from Yokohama National University used a “simple” method to regrow hair on mice by using dimethylpolysiloxane, the silicone added to McDonald’s fries to stop cooking oil from frothing.

Preliminary tests indicated that the groundbreaking method was likely to be just as successful when transferred to human skin cells.

[​IMG]A McDonald's employee prepares french fries in Miami. Japanese scientists recently discovered that a chemical used in McDonald's fries could be key in curing baldness.GETTY

According to the study, released in the Biomaterials journal last Thursday, the breakthrough came after the scientists successfully mass-produced “hair follicle germs” (HFG) which were created for the first time ever in this way.

HFGs, cells that drive follicle development, are considered the holy grail in hair-loss research. The scientists said use of dimethylpolysiloxane was crucial to the advancement.

“The key for the mass production of HFGs was a choice of substrate materials for the culture vessel,” Professor Junji Fukuda, of Yokohama National University, said in the study. “We used oxygen-permeable dimethylpolysiloxane (PDMS) at the bottom of culture vessel, and it worked very well.”

The technique created 5,000 HFGs simultaneously. The research team then seeded the prepared HFGs from an HFG chip, a fabricated, approximately 300-microwell array, onto the mouse's body.

“These self-sorted hair follicle germs were shown to be capable of efficient hair-follicle and shaft generation upon injection into the backs of nude mice,” Fukuda said.

Within days, Fukuda and his colleagues reported black hairs on the areas of the mouse where the chip had been transplanted. The photos below demonstrate the findings.

[​IMG]
    A culture vessel for the mass preparation of hair follicle germs (top); generated hairs on the back of a mouse (below).YOKOHAMA NATIONAL UNIVERSITY

"This simple method is very robust and promising,” Fukuda said. “We hope this technique will improve human hair regenerative therapy to treat hair loss such as androgenic alopecia (male pattern baldness). In fact, we have preliminary data that suggests human HFG formation using human keratinocytes and dermal papilla cells."

In 2016, the U.S. hair loss treatment manufacturing industry was worth $6 billion. This included companies that produced restorative hair equipment, such as grafts for hair restoration, as well as oral and topical treatments.

McDonald's did not respond to Newsweek's request for comment at the time of publication.

raspabalsa, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Wait, what?! I don't get to slather my head w/ fries? tsk! pity, that…

lelisa13p, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  5. jigwashere

Kansas Scrambles To Change Rules After 6 Teens Enter Governor's Race
    [​IMG]

There are a lot of requirements if you want to vote in Kansas. You must be 18 years old. You need to show a photo ID at your polling place and show proof of U.S. citizenship when you register to vote. The U.S. Commission on Civil Rights says the state's voter ID laws are among the strictest in the nation.

But when it comes to the rules about who can run for state office? There are no rules.

"Under Kansas law, there is no law governing the qualifications for governor, not one," Bryan Caskey, director of elections at the Kansas secretary of state's office, told The Kansas City Star last year. "So there's seriously nothing on the books that lays out anything, no age, no residency, no experience. Nothing."

So into the race jumped 16-year-old Jack Bergeson. Calling himself an anti-establishment candidate, Bergeson is pursuing the Democratic nomination, advocating for a $12 minimum wage, legalization of medical marijuana, and high-speed rail for major cities in the region.

"I thought, you know, let's give the people of Kansas a chance," Bergeson told the Star in August. "Let's try something new that has never really been tried anywhere else before."

Three more teen boys, running as Republicans, soon entered the governor's race – so many that they had their own candidates' forum in a high school gym in Lawrence.

"This needs to be a government that represents everyone, not just 30 years old up," said 17-year-old candidate Dominic Scavuzzo.

Two more teen boys threw hats in the ring, spurring Kansas lawmakers to try to put a stop to such youthful exuberance. Republican Rep. Blake Carpenter introduced a bill requiring candidates to be at least 18 years old to run for the state's top elected offices, such as governor, secretary of state or attorney general. And candidates for governor and lietenant governor would have to have lived in the state for four years.

"We have age requirements on voters, and I really think that anybody who's running should be able to vote for themselves," Rep. Keith Esau, a Republican running for secretary of state, told The Topeka Capital-Journal.

The Star reports that the bill passed out of House committee on Monday.

"I don't think it's a good thing," Bergeson, now 17, told the Star. "I'm not a fan of it. I think it's a reactionary bill. I think it's trying to disenfranchise candidates."

The law wouldn't take effect until after the November elections. And that's important, said Caskey at the secretary of state's office.

"The secretary of state does not want there to be any appearance of a conflict of interest concerning persons who are currently candidates and do not meet these proposed requirements," he told the Capital-Journal.

He's referring to Secretary of State Kris Kobach, the force behind the state's strict voter ID law, who is running for governor. Kobach was also co-chair of President Trump's controversial voting commission, which was dissolved last month.

But the anything-goes system that has been so appealing to Kansas teenagers has been less appealing to one group: women.

State Sen. Laura Kelly, a Democrat, became the first woman to enter the crowded field for governor in December. Meanwhile, more than 20 men or boys have declared their candidacy.

The state's lack of rules for candidacy are so profound that Caskey could not even find a rule limiting the field to human candidates.

"[A] dog has never tried to file," he told the Star last year. "I don't know what would happen if one tried to."

raspabalsa, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  6. jigwashere

Personally, I'm not sure Australia really exists. I mean, how do people not fall off the earth down under? It must be the place of fantasy:

Professor Didn’t Think Australia Was A Country, Almost Failed Student Who Pushed Back
    Southern New Hampshire University has fired a professor for a glaring mistake, the school has confirmed to HuffPost.

The educator, whose name has been kept private, almost gave a student a failing grade on an assignment because she refused to believe that Australia is a country, despite the student’s insistence that it is, BuzzFeed reports.

The student, Ashley Arnold, a 27-year-old working toward an online sociology degree, approached BuzzFeed after the professor refused to listen to her.

“We deeply regret the interaction between our professor and our student and have apologized to the student and refunded her for the class,” the school told HuffPost. “Following an investigation, we have replaced the instructor as we strive to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and accuracy in educating our students.”

The university also publicly apologized in a tweet:

Arnold said her assignment was to compare a social norm between the United States and another country. She chose Australia, and was “shocked” when she received a failing grade because her professor believed “Australia is a continent; not a country.”

In response to the grade, Arnold wrote her professor an email with references from the school’s library that stated that Australia was both a continent and a country.

The professor, however, wasn’t convinced. She replied that she would “gladly re-examine” her project, but stood firmly by her belief that Australia was not a country.

“I want you to understand that any error in a project can invalidate the entire research project,” the professor told Arnold in her email. “Research is like dominoes, if you accidentally knock over one piece the entire set will also fall.”

Arnold responded to her teacher’s email, providing a link from the “about Australia” section of the country’s government website.

The professor responded again, saying she would review her assignment after she did some “independent research.”

Arnold eventually received a grade of B+ on her project, but had also filed a report with the university about the issue, resulting in the professor’s termination.

Hook, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  7. jigwashere

Florida boy gets trapped after crawling into vending machine
    [​IMG]
    Fire fighters work to free a boy who crawled inside a claw-style vending machine in Titusville, Fla.

TITUSVILLE, Fla. — When a young Florida boy wanted a stuffed toy, he crawled inside a claw-style vending machine in the play area of a restaurant to fetch one. And, he got stuck inside the glass-encased structure.

Thankfully, off-duty firefighter Jeremy House was also having dinner at the Beef O'Brady's restaurant in Titusville, on Florida's Atlantic coast. He yelled for someone to call 911 and his colleagues from a nearby fire station joined him in rescuing the boy named Mason.

"He went in, but obviously he couldn't come back out the same way," Battalion Chief Gregory Sutton told The Associated Press.

Mason sat atop the stuffed toys while firefighters took just 5 minutes to get him out.

Sutton says the boy was embarrassed, but wasn't in distress. And the machine sustained minimal damage.

8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

And the kid went home with not one :vbfrown:, but four :vbeek: toys for his trouble. :thumbsup: Score! :newpalm:

As for not being in distress, I'm guessing that panic and claustrophobia are both eased somewhat when the object containing the confined has transparent walls (Claw box) as opposed to a visibly isolated prison cell (elevator). :vbgrin: #getmeouttahere #theclawismymaster #stopityouzealots

scjjtt, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  9. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Emotional-support hamster flushed down airport toilet

Before Belen Aldecosea flew home from from college to South Florida, she twice called Spirit Airlines to ensure she could bring along a special guest: Pebbles, her pet dwarf hamster. No problem, the airline told her.

But when Aldecosea arrived at the Baltimore airport, Spirit refused to allow the tiny animal on the flight.

With her only friends hours away at campus, Aldecosea was stuck. She says an airline representative suggested flushing Pebbles down an airport toilet, a step that Spirit denies. Panicked and needing to return home promptly to deal with a medical issue, Aldecosea unsuccessfully tried renting a car and agonized for hours before doing the unthinkable.

She flushed Pebbles.

“She was scared. I was scared. It was horrifying trying to put her in the toilet,” Aldecosea said. “I was emotional. I was crying. I sat there for a good 10 minutes crying in the stall.”

Aldecosea, 21, of Miami Beach, is now considering filing a lawsuit against Spirit over the conflicting instructions that wound up pressuring her into making an anguished decision with a pet certified by her doctor as an emotional support animal. She shared her story with the Miami Herald weeks after the story of an emotional support peacock — denied entrance to a United Airlines flight — went viral on the Internet.

This case is much different, said her South Florida attorney, Adam Goodman. “This wasn’t a giant peacock that could pose a danger to other passengers. This was a tiny cute harmless hamster that could fit in the palm of her hand,” he said.

A spokesman for Spirit acknowledged the airline mistakenly told her that Pebbles was allowed. But he denied that a Spirit employee recommended the option of disposing of her pet in an airport restroom.

“To be clear, at no point did any of our agents suggest this guest (or any other for that matter) should flush or otherwise injure an animal,” spokesman Derek Dombrowski said.

<< LINK >>

:(

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  10. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.