Odd news of the day

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RickAgresta, Oct 10, 2007.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

The "Face on Mars" is not a mystery anymore! The film "Mission to Mars" prophetically showed in 2000 that it's an alien* spaceship that will fly off in 2020 carrying Gary Sinise with it and depriving us of his intense and somewhat sinister look in future movies

* or not, considering they fathered us all

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    jigwashere, lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jigwashere likes this.
  3. RickAgresta

[​IMG]

4. RickAgresta

well, I can safely add scrapple to my list of 'things rick isn't gonna eat'

upload_2015-10-11_16-46-8.png

lelisa13p likes this.
  5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Yum! :vbeek: I discovered the loveliness that is known as scrapple when I spent last Thanksgiving with my DIL's family in Western PA. We went to pick up the fresh turkey at a town market and there were several types of scrapple in the meat case. Her dad bought a small slab for breakfast. Ugh. :vbfrown:

I reckon scrapple is the American version of haggis. Disgusting foodstuffs that would not pass my lips even if that's all there was to eat.

jigwashere, BAB2000 and scjjtt like this.
  6. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

^ not on my table

*via Tapatalk

jigwashere, lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  7. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Open your mouth, Here's come the airplane, pretty lady. *makes an airplane noise* :)

jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.
  8. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Tech

http://time.com/4066321/nophone-zero/
    by Josh Krigman, time.com
    October 12

Make calls. Take pictures. Record amazing, high-definition videos. Our smartphones do a lot of stuff — but what about a phone that does nothing at all?

That’s the idea behind the ZERO, a new “smartphone” from New York-based NoPhone. It takes the less-is-more design aesthetic to its natural conclusion: No features at all. Cut in the same dimensions as Apple’s iPhone 5, the ZERO is NoPhone’s follow-up to its first prototype, which raised over $18,000 on Kickstarterlast year.

Why would somebody buy a phone-like brick that just sits there?

“It’s a technology free-alternative to constant hand-to-phone contact,” says NoPhone Co-Founder Van Gould, half-jokingly. For Gould, the ZERO is a satirical comment on our device-obsessed culture. “We want to become the largest fake phone company in the world,” he says. “That’s kind of the goal.”

Meeting its Kickstarter fundraising goal in September, the ZERO offers fewer features than ever before. Its designers have stripped it of the grooves previous models included to mimic an outlet, camera, and home button, thus removing even the illusion of distraction. All that’s left is a sturdy, thin rectangle, void of any purpose aside from helping you re-focus on your life.

The ZERO works like technological methadone, satisfying a user’s addiction to the familiar shape and weight of the real thing. The thoughtful construction fills the same stretched-out part of your jeans as your actual phone, but it prevents you from pulling it out, falling into a digital hole and missing out on the world around you. It’s an easier alternative to going cold turkey, providing a simulation of your comfort object while helping you slowly abandon it.

The company’s website advertises the NoPhone as a way to “never again experience the unsettling feeling of flesh on flesh when closing your hand,” striking a tone just serious enough that it’s hard to tell if it’s a joke or serious experiment.

“The most amazing part of the NoPhone is that, in the future, it could be nothing at all,” says Gould. It may seem strange to try to package a concept — until you realize that’s what NoPhone is doing already. The only way the physical product could be any less important is if it didn’t exist at all.

The original NoPhone sells for $12, but the ZERO is $5, making it a more palatable purchase for the curious. If you’re so inclined, keep it in your pocket for an afternoon in place of your regular phone. Observe the frequency with which you reflexively check the brick of black plastic for any updates on your feeds. Reflect on what this means about our culture and your life. Then find your actual phone and tweet your insight to the world.

*Headphones not included.

9. RickAgresta

You looking for another of these, jig?
    2015-10-12%2023.18.10.jpg

you've earned it…oh, and that house blend yesterday…decaf, I'd bet…

lelisa13p, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

NATION
    Woman sues nephew, 12, for $127K after exuberant greeting
    Matthew Diebel, USATODAY2 minutes ago
    • the Connecticut Postreported. This week Connell is asking a six-member jury to find the boy liable for his actions.

“The injuries, losses and harms to the plaintiff were caused by the negligence and carelessness of the minor defendant in that a reasonable eight years old under those circumstances would know or should have known that a forceful greeting such as the one delivered by the defendant to the plaintiff could cause the harms and losses suffered by the plaintiff,” the lawsuit claims.

On Friday, the boy, now 12, appeared confused as he sat with his father in a courtroom in Bridgeport, the state’s largest city, the paper reported. The boy’s mother died last year and a listed phone number couldn't be found for the youngster's father, Michael Terala, according to The Associated Press.

On the witness stand, Connell, a human resources manager in Manhattan, testified she loves Sean, whom she described as always being “very loving” toward her, but believes he should take responsibility for her injury.

According to testimony reported by the Post, Connell, who has no children of her own, arrived at the Tarala home in March 2011 to attend Sean’s party. When he spotted Connell, he dropped his new bicycle on the ground and ran toward her calling out, “Auntie Jen, Auntie Jen.”

“All of a sudden he was there in the air, I had to catch him and we tumbled onto the ground,” Connell testified. “I remember him shouting, ‘Auntie Jen I love you,’ and there he was flying at me.”

Although hurt, Connell told the jury, she didn’t complain at the time. “It was his birthday party and I didn’t want to upset him,” she said.

But, Connell continued, her life was turned upside down as a result of the injury.

“It has been very difficult,” the Postreported her as saying. “We all know how crowded it is in Manhattan.”

RickAgresta likes this.