Odd news of the day

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RickAgresta, Oct 10, 2007.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Alaska man stranded in snow 3 days survives on frozen beer

By Kyle Hopkins, Anchorage Daily News

Shared via The Associated Press

Clifton Vial, 52, climbed into the cab of his Toyota Tacoma on Monday night in Nome to see how far a road winding to the north would take him.

More than 40 miles out of town, at about 9:30 that night, he found out. As Pink Floyd's "Echoes" played on the stereo and temperature dipped well below zero in the darkness, Vial's pickup plunged into a snowdrift.

"I made an attempt at digging myself out and realized how badly I was stuck," Vial told The Anchorage Daily News. He was wearing tennis shoes, jeans and a $30 jacket from Sears. "I would have been frostbit before I ever got the thing out of there."

Vial found himself alone near Salmon Lake, on a road that doubles as a snowmachine trail in the winter and stretches inland from the Bering Sea city. Far beyond the reach of his cellphone, Vial slipped into a fleece sleeping bag liner and wrapped a bath towel around his feet. He occasionally started the truck to run the heater and listen to the radio.

Was anybody talking about him? Did they know he was missing? By the third day, Vial said, the truck was nearly out of gas. "I felt really pissed at myself," Vial said. "I shouldn't have been out there by myself unprepared for what I knew was possible."

Normally Vial carries a sleeping bag, extra gasoline and other survival gear in the 2000 Toyota, he said. But on this trip he had few supplies, no food and no water. Even his dogs, a pair of labs that usually accompany him on drives, stayed home.

link to whole story here

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  2. RickAgresta

Police: Man accidentally put marijuana cigarette in son's lunch
    By NBC News and msnbc.com staff

CLINTON, Conn. -- Police say a 33-year-old man sent along a little something extra in his 18-month-old son's lunch box this week: a marijuana cigarette.

Clinton police arrested John Sulzbach of Killingworth after workers at the Clinton Child Care Center reported finding the pot in the child's food container on Thursday, NBCConnecticut.com reported. The child is 18 months old, police said.

The cigarette was accidentally dropped in the food container while Sulzbach made the child's lunch the night before, police said.

Police found less than one ounce of marijuana in Sulzbach’s basement after searching his home. He faces charges of risk to injury to a minor and drug possession.

Sulzman was charged with possession of a controlled substance and risk of injury/impairing the morals of a child. He was released on a written promise to appear in court on Dec. 22.

3. RickAgresta

Police mull charges in Walmart pepper spray case
    By msnbc.com staff and wires

Los Angeles police are still deciding whether to pursue charges against a woman who allegedly used pepper spray while shopping at a Walmart Thanksgiving night in Porter Ranch, according to a report in the Los Angeles Times.

"We have a ton of witnesses and victims to interview," Los Angeles Police Officer Bruce Borihanh told the newspaper. "We know who she is."

The woman turned herself in Friday night after the incident allegedly caused minor injuries to 20 shoppers, including children. She was released pending further investigation after she refused to discuss the incident, police said Saturday.

The woman's identity was not released.

The alleged attack took place about 10:20 p.m. Thursday, shortly after doors opened for shopping. Employees brought out a crate of discounted Xbox video game players, and a crowd formed to wait for the unwrapping. Valle said the woman began spraying people in order to get an advantage.

Wal-Mart officials called it "an unfortunate situation."

4. jbenham

jbenham Mobile Deity

Good grief, how can there not be charges. She used a weapon to injure numerous people, including children, to the point that they needed to be taken to the hospital.

5. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

In LA, assault to protect shopping bargains counts as self-defense. :rolleyes: :p

6. jbenham

jbenham Mobile Deity

:rolleyes: :newpalm: Oh, I thought that only applied to beer sales. :)

7. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

Regarding the helicopter crash, which LS pointed me to:

Using a helicopter is the quickest, and often cheapest, way to get the job done. With something that tall, you have to use a huge crane, which has to be transported to the site in pieces, built up, and then torn down and transported away, taking a week or more for the entire job. The helicopter can do it in an hour or less. The crash has been on helicopter pilot forums for weeks. Everything would have been fine except for one ground crewman who was obviously not trained well enough, or at least lost his head. The longline cable which was used to hold the tree was still attached to the top of the tree, and to the cargo hook underneath the helicopter. The pilot was maneuvering to a place to drop the cable (you don't want to drop it from the top, with that crowd down there, no telling where it will fall), when the crewman grabbed the cable and yanked on it, pulling it into the main rotor. Being a strong cable, the blades didn't cut it, but pulled it into the tailboom, severing it. With no tail rotor, the torque took over and spun the fuselage, and the crash occurred before the pilot had a chance to do anything. One idiot with good intentions can overcome the best-laid plans.

8. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

9. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Yes, thanks for the insight. So it was a guy on the ground that caused the problem and not the pilot?

One of the quickest crackups I've ever seen.

10. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Couple badly injured after bodybuilder attack - Yahoo! News

'Roid rage again, I suppose.

I wonder if the rage sets in once they see what the steroids do to their genitals? That might explain why he was naked in the first place.
    None of which matters to the victims.

Definitely a "stand back and call the cops" situation.