NUVI 50 New Update - what's the email?

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Jerry_NJ, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

I just used the Garmin web site to update the map on a NUVI 50 GPS received as a Christmas gift. All seems well, that is while it took hours (using a 1.5 mb DSL) to do the update the online process seems to have completed satisfactory. Yet, I received an email thanking me for an order and saying it was ready to download. Here is a cut and paste

Thank you for ordering the nüMaps Onetime™ City Navigator® North America NT 2013* for your nüvi® 50 (2J3251316)
    Your order is now available for download at: https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/customers/myMapsHome.htm

The email also includes a "key" to access the data.

What is this? Is the City Navigator yet more update or is it redundant to what has already been down loaded?

I do not have a life-time update subscription, I am just trying to get the one time free update that comes with a new unit.

2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

It does say it is a "Onetime" update. I suspect it is a confirmation generated by your order and that it isn't any different than what you downloaded. It also is probably a way to re-download if something happened to your NUVI (or storage card, if it uses one).

However, this is a guess from when I had my NUVI. Not a real expert in the Garmin world.

3. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Thanks Hook.

I may try to "download" in case it provides some form of backup.

I picked this particular GPS because I have a 2009 model in my Suzuki - a factory installation, but just the handheld GPS with a special connector and in-dash mounting. The newer nuvi 50 is a little larger and seems very much the same on the user interface...so my wife can use it as an add-on in her car without having to learn a new protocol.

Still trying to recall, but I think one can connect the "home" address simply by pressing "home" when the car is home and that will load the home address, no need to type the address in. I at first tried to input the address and call it home, this caused the problem of the Garmin trying to figure out were the address is given I was already "sitting" there. Its answer was to pick a nearby street number and telling me I was about 1 minute away : ) When I cleared the address and then pushed "home" it identified our correct address.

I don't think this is a question, more of a comment for the general reader. Of course if what I say is misleading, corrections are welcome.

4. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Mobile Deity

Hi Jerry,

Hook is correct. That email is simply a confirmation of your order. And it does mean you can re-download in a pinch.

If you set up a MyGarmin account when you registered your Nuvi50 you should go online, login and check around in your account. You should see your registered device and any maps associated with it. Or just click on the MyMaps tab. In any case, you should be able to find your latest version of City Navigator listed along with a download link, a product ID and the unlock code. It should remain available for 12 months after the original order.

Did you select to install on just the device or did you select the option to install on the device AND the PC? If you only installed to the device, you can download again and this time install just to the PC.

If you look closely at the installation screens as you click through them in the install process, you should see a screen with Install Options. I think it's the second or third screen and I think it's in the lower left quadrant. It does not jump out and grab you so you need to watch closely for it. When you see it, click the Install Options button. On the Install Options screen, one of the (many) options you will see is where to install to, eg. device only, PC only, device and PC.

If it's working well on the device, installing it only to the PC will save some time. It takes awhile for the installer to compile the maps to make them usable on the device and then to transfer them to the device. No sense wasting that time if you don't need to.

There are probably no other options on the Install Options screen that matter. At least I've never found any others that I would want to mess with.

I always install maps to both my device and my PC. That way I can use Mapsource or Basecamp (both free downloads from Garmin) to view maps and plan trips on my PC rather than squinting at the nav device. You can also transfer track files from your travels onto the PC and view them in one of Garmin's PC programs if you installed the maps to the PC.

Finally, and most important, if you trash all or part of the map files on the device you can use the PC program to immediately re-install the maps right from your PC instead of having to download them again from Garmin.

If you already knew all that, consider it a tutorial for others who don't. :)

Happy New Year and have fun with the new Nuvi.

...ken...

5. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Ken,

Excellent, thanks. The information was all new to me and very specific to my case. I'm sure others who end up here attracted by the subject will also find your tutorial very valuable. I plan to go back and install on my notebook, and look into the tools you mention.

If I may have another minute of your expert advice can you confirm, or correct my thinking on the use of the "home" icon. I set that on my Suzuki-based Garmin in 2009 to my physical (live there) home. Not recalling I just assumed that what I needed to do was input my home address and touch the "home" icon. Not so, I now think, but haven't tried, that one simply comes to a stop, and touches "home". That location is then stored for any future time one touches "home". I think I read that one use of this auto/personal PDA is if you park the car and are worried about finding it later (say after flying somewhere for a week) all you have to do is touch "home" and take the PDA along. Then when you return to the parking lot the PDA will help direct you to where you parked.

Thanks again,

6. Ken in Regina

Hey Jerry,

In case you're interested in getting the most from your new toy, you can download the manual here:

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/nuvi_30_40_50_EN_OM.pdf

Re: setting up your Home location: You tap "Where To?" then select "Go Home". If Home is not set yet you get three choices to set it: enter an address, use current location, or select from the Recently Found list.

Once you have done that, Home will be saved to your Favorites and any time you select "Where To? > Go Home" it will treat it as a destination. Then you go to Favorites to edit it or delete it.

That's all on Page 7 of the manual.

If you want to take your Nuvi with you so you can find your way back to the car you actually create a new waypoint/Favorite. You can do this by simply tapping the vehicle icon on the map (usually the big blue arrow unless you have changed it ... my grandchildren's favorite is the pizza slice). Select "Save Location", give it a name and you're done. If you named the location "Car", then when you are ready to get back to the car you can tap "Where To?", Favorites, "Car" and the Nuvi will talk you in.

I'm not sure how the newer Nuvi models act when you want to use Car again for a new parking location. You might have to delete it first. You can experiment and see how it goes. There's really nothing you can do to screw it up. If you create Favorites that you don't want, just delete them ... no biggie.

Or you can go to Favorites, delete the Home entry, go back to the Where To? screen and select Go Home to set the car park as the new Home location.

Whatever trips your trigger. More than one way to skin that cat. :)

...ken...

7. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Ken,

Thanks again. The manual situation shows my age. If the new unit had come with a paper user manual, I'd have looked there.

I'm a retired electrical engineer and have used on-line documentation since long before the big shift in consumer electronics documentation.

The generation after mine (more so the next, grandchildren) do not have the same mental lock to paper documentation. I still like it. Well, maybe this will finally get all the stacks of paper off my desk, I can surely find something on the web easier than on/around my desk.

EDIT: I just noticed my new level: Mobile Consultant. That may have come at post 200, but I just noticed. I'll not let that affect my usual input of Mobile Question : )

8. Ken in Regina

Hi Jerry,

I get the age thing. I had a full career in IT, half of it in the engineering department of a Canadian telco. I worked for and with, and managed, my share of electrical engineers. We have a somewhat unique dual-degree program at the local university that turns out grads with a combination of electrical engineering and computer science.

Like you, I'm used to using online docs but still have the kneejerk to look for the paper stuff. And sometimes neglect to go looking online when there isn't paper with the toy. :eek:

I'm also dedicated to freeing up space on the bookshelves in my home office this winter. Tossing out all the paper manuals and reference materials that I have not used in years. That includes the ones for my electronic toys and also for my woodworking hobby. I'm not sure what the moths will feed on when all that paper is gone. :D

All the best in the New Year to you and anyone else who still checks in here occasionally. :thumbsup:

...ken...

9. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Yep still hanging around my notebook and reading email... I will be awake to welcome 2013 in East Coast Time, but I'll not be at a party. With a little luck my wife may be awake too.

I have tons of stuff to throw out due to the hard fact that at my age I'll never use all the tools and spare parts I've collected over 55 years as an adult. Old text books, and even class notes and problem solutions, are still on shelves and in boxes in my basement. There was a time I thought I might go back to school as a teacher, maybe at a junior college, I have a Masters in EE but no PhD. This no longer seems likely.

I remain involved in the IEEE and know people from around the world and have several colleagues from Canada.

I went to the Garmin web site last night to download the maps, but I didn't have my 50, to connect to my computer, so I couldn't get to the step to chose on computer only. I will try again later, but not tonight.

Happy New Year.