nuvi 360 ... routable maps for Israel?

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by bendada, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bendada

bendada Newbie

Wonderful to have found this forum. I just purchased a nuvi 360 (City Navigator® NT North America) for my wife, and she's ecstatic to finally be confident going to new or unfamiliar places. Our family lives in the US, but travels frequently to Israel.

I'm seeking a way to get the same functionality (trip routing with voice prompts) when we travel to Israel. Garmin's response is that "Unfortunately, Garmin has no plans to offer mapping of Israel at this time. Certain countries will not allow the united states to use their mapping. You may be able to find the mapping you seek in Israel, but you will not find them for sale here in the united states."

I've seen much here about loading new maps and such, but I'm a real newbie when it comes to this GPS mapping and navigating stuff. Anyone willing to give me a step-by-step tutorial? I downloaded some suggested Israel routable map files, but I don't know where to go from there. Thanks much in advance

2. avigm

avigm Mobile Enthusiast

He bendada, I am afraid that there are no maps of Israel available in the market. The only maps that you can buy are for Palm or CE, nothing for Nuvi.
    The free maps that you probably found are very limited, although better than nothing.
    I will be more than happy to be wrong! :)

3. Patch

Patch Mobile Deity

4. bendada

bendada Newbie

Thanks Patch. I went to the site, and found that it is compatible with the Garmin iQue units (3600, etc). I sent udrive support an email asking if they had a method to convert to Garmin nuvi. I did see on this forum some posts regarding converting iQue-compatible stuff to nuvi, but the explanations were a bit "above my head".

So, now that it appears this udrive product gives the same navigational functionality as my nuvi for the Garmin iQue, is there a reliable method to convert from iQue format to nuvi format? Or, does anyone know of a product specifically made for the Garmin nuvi units?

5. MikeR

MikeR Mobile Evangelist

A GPS unit consists of the hardware, the guidance software, and the map. Each map is compatible with a particular guidance software. And each guidance software runs on a particular GPS/PDA hardware.

For the Nuvi units, the guidance software is limited to that of Garmin's, so only Garmin compatible maps can work on it.

iQue is a Palm, so one can load other Palm guidance software on it. udrive is one such software for which Israel maps are available. The udrive Israel maps are not compatible with Garmin guidance software on iQue or Nuvi.

Converting maps from one format to another is a difficult task, and is not legally when the map is copyrighted and locked (such as the udrive or Garmin maps).

There is a web site in Hebrew that seems to sell a Garmin version of Israel maps: http://garmin.starwebz.com/product-8.html
    The price is very high (~$300), and I don't know if the street names are only in Hebrew, or in English too.

The Israel maps on mapcenter basically let you know where you are. They are not detailed enough for finding addresses and for turn-by-turn navigation.

There are places in Israel (e.g. car rentals, or http://www.north.co.il/gp.asp?gpid=6) that will rent you the PDA/GPS & flash memory card with program/maps ($12.50/day + tax), or just the flash memroy card itself ($7.50/day + tax, if you have compatible PDA/GPS).

You can read the review of the available programs/software at:
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16745

I have used Destinator and it works great (different than the iQue software, but similar to the Mobile 10/Nuvi software). It runs on Pocket PC.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.