Not Sure What Rock I Was Hiding Under...

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Hook, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

...but Google officially released Android 7 (Nougat) on Monday, 22 Aug. Somehow, I didn't even notice. Unlike every previous year, they didn't wait for the release of new Nexus devices, which will presumably be around the first part of October, as usual. So, oddly, they are rolling it out to older devices that can use it (the Nexus 6, 6P and 5X).

My Nexus 5 won't get it, alas, but it has been supported for 3 years, so I'm not really complaining. If Marlin is good, I will seriously consider getting one, but for now my Nexus 5 is still quite a great smartphone. Sadly, the final official version of Dirty Unicorns (10.6) will be released on Sept 2nd with all the final Android 6 security patches.

As long as my Nexus 5 is doing well, I may look at some non-Nexus options, though I'm not sure I can stop having a Nexus. Still, nothing to lose by looking around. At this rate, despite pining for a big screen, my Nexus 5 might make it to 4 years.

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

You must have been under a rock, because we all thoroughly searched the BH Breakroom. Well, actually there were sections believed to be haunted by some former BHers (does scjjtt perform exorcisms?) that we were too afraid to inspect, but we called out your name.

Glad your Nexus 5 is hanging on. I still haven't updated my Nexus 6, but hope to do that soon.

lelisa13p, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  3. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Normally I would update to the last marshamallow right about now, but I read about some marshmallow memory leak that they decided to wait and fix in a later version, so I'm still in lollipop. I like having access to the updates, but I'm rarely eager to actually apply them.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  4. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Actually, it hasn't been released yet for the Nexus 6 (at least not an official factory image at developers.google.com), which has everyone all up in arms on XDA.

lelisa13p, Hook, scjjtt and 1 other person like this.
  5. jigwashere

Everyone is up in arms at XDA? That's unusual. ;)

6. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Well, this time it's over something more than having the audacity to ask the same question twice in one year, so...yeah...it's a pretty big thing. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Somehow I missed this being on the road taking our son to college. I guess I skipped over this thread seeing that it was about Nexus updates...

I'm sorry Jig, but I can't help with the haunted former BHers. Hopefully they come back & stop their haunting.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  8. jigwashere

Silly me, I should've said 'resurrect' instead of 'exorcise.' :newpalm:

lelisa13p, scjjtt and raspabalsa like this.
  9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

"Summon" would work, too. :vbwink:

10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Wait, what?!--zombies now?

jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.