Not good news for cellphone users..or those who profit from cellphone use

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by RickAgresta, Oct 21, 2019.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

We Have No Reason to Believe 5G Is Safe
    The technology is coming, but contrary to what some people say, there could be health risks

The telecommunications industry and their experts have accused many scientists who have researched the effects of cell phone radiation of "fear mongering" over the advent of wireless technology's 5G. Since much of our research is publicly-funded, we believe it is our ethical responsibility to inform the public about what the peer-reviewed scientific literature tells us about the health risks from wireless radiation.

The chairman of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) recently announced through a press release that the commission will soon reaffirm the radio frequency radiation (RFR) exposure limits that the FCC adopted in the late 1990s. These limits are based upon a behavioral change in rats exposed to microwave radiation and were designed to protect us from short-term heating risks due to RFR exposure.

Yet, since the FCC adopted these limits based largely on research from the 1980s, the preponderance of peer-reviewed research, more than 500 studies, have found harmful biologic or health effects from exposure to RFR at intensities too low to cause significant heating.

Citing this large body of research, more than 240 scientists who have published peer-reviewed research on the biologic and health effects of nonionizing electromagnetic fields (EMF) signed the International EMF Scientist Appeal, which calls for stronger exposure limits. The appeal makes the following assertions:

“Numerous recent scientific publications have shown that EMF affects living organisms at levels well below most international and national guidelines. Effects include increased cancer risk, cellular stress, increase in harmful free radicals, genetic damages, structural and functional changes of the reproductive system, learning and memory deficits, neurological disorders, and negative impacts on general well-being in humans. Damage goes well beyond the human race, as there is growing evidence of harmful effects to both plant and animal life.”

The scientists who signed this appeal arguably constitute the majority of experts on the effects of nonionizing radiation. They have published more than 2,000 papers and letters on EMF in professional journals.

LINK: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/we-have-no-reason-to-believe-5g-is-safe/

Hook, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Well... that sure puts a damper on things. I just started working remotely, utilizing my cell phone for remote assistance. :/

3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I wouldn't worry much. There's always an easy solution.

6174PsFWJSL._SL1000_.jpg

Looks like a good time to invest in tin foil :newpalm:

Ok, seriously now, I've read about these concerns and they seem quite legitimate, instead of the more frequent exaggerated reports. They seem to be increasing in momentum too. I wonder if or for how long will 5G manufacturers, carriers, and promoters continue to deny all of this.

RickAgresta, headcronie, Hook and 2 others like this.
  4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

:vbeek: :vbeek: :vbeek: :vbfrown: :vbeek: :vbconfused:

Hook and headcronie like this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

If I understood the article, the risks would go beyond those who purchase 5G phones:

scjjtt, lelisa13p, raspabalsa and 3 others like this.
  6. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Thanks for that wonderful bit of clarification Jig. Ugh.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

yeah, I'm not sure that a cell antenna every 1 or 2 football fields (either what we call soccer, or NFL style football) is going to be all that popular, either, aesthetically. and if all those antenna can't be implemented, I guess the phone will automagically switch to 4G...in short, it appears to me that 5G will turn out to be mainly in cities, and not so much in the suburbs. just my 2¢...

scjjtt, headcronie, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I read somewhere (but can't find the link now) that 5G would require something of a paradigm shift regarding antennas and their distribution. Given the very low penetration power of 5G waves, antennas could no longer be standalone structures. Instead, that article envisioned 5G antenna arrays incorporated in the designs of buildings and houses, just like another system like water, gas, electricity, etc. The article mentioned the benefits of such a setup: the building would share the load, making whatever free bandwidth it had available to users outside the building. I'll try to find the article, it was an interesting, if disheartening, read. I think I read it at the time where some organizations in Switzerland were opposing 5G deployment.

The worrisome part is that health concerns have rarely - if ever- prevented a new technology from being massively implemented. For that to occur would require another paradigm shift, maybe a larger one that the new 5G antenna arrays.

9. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I think this is a fairly sane discussion of both sides by a technology journalist who seems to know her way around the science.

https://www.cnet.com/news/5g-phones-and-your-health-what-you-need-to-know/

To be honest, I think phones will be 4G for a long time to come. I think 5G will be much more about the Internet of things, including robotics, AI and driverless cars/trucks, as well as about being a wireless means of very high quality media delivery. It won't be about holding a phone to your head and making calls and, yes, it will be primarily urban for years to come.

Yes. more research needs to be done, but maybe something a little more naturalistic than irradiating the whole bodies of mice and rats with many more times the radiation dosage than any human would experience from even a 5G base station.

10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Regarding possible unknown/unforeseen side-effects from using new types of wave technology in a widespread manner, the multiple 2018 incidents in Cuba and China involving mysterious debilitating symptoms come to mind. (I'm not saying this is at all related, but that story popped into my head.) And once again I'm reminded of the fact that just because something CAN be done, doesn't mean that it SHOULD be done and that indeed, once the genie is out of the bottle, it can't be contained. My twocents.gif .

Details of incidents to which I referred.

scjjtt, headcronie, Hook and 3 others like this.