Nook Color

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Varjak, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Okay, so I have the use of a Nook Color for about 3 weeks. There are some limitations as to how I can use it; but I was wondering what things I should try with it, other than reading books (obviously). No hacking, as it's not mine.

Can I access apps and stuff from the card slot?

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm not sure if you can side load apps from the card slot. My Nook Color isn't hacked -- but I boot it from the microSD card with CyanogenMod 7.1. Here are the instructions I used. You can boot up from the microSD card without doing any harm to the internal system. When you want to go back to the stock Nook Color, simply remove the microSD card and reboot.

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I'm tempted to try that; but I signed an agreement more complicated than the paperwork to buy a car. My library is now lending them out, so I thought I'd take one for a test drive.

I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed by the software. It's a bit balky in scrolling and responding to button 'presses.' I enjoy the crossword puzzle app though. I'm not sure I'd get used to reading on it; but I do think it would be good for huge books like the Stephen King or the new Peter Nadas opus (1200 pages!). It's also surprisingly heavy for the screen size.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Booting from the microSD card will not change anything about the Nook Color, so whatever paperwork you signed shouldn't be cause for alarm.

In any case, one app I liked on the Nook Color is Pulse. It's free and gives you access to some news and magazines. It does take a bit to get used to it, though.

Download a free book or two to try out reading on it. Also, you can read (almost) any eBook in B&N's store for 2 hours w/no charge while your at their store. They also give away a free book every Friday, but don't get too excited about that -- I haven't seen anything terribly worth the effort.

You're right about the weight. It's heavy. Imagine a 10" screen!

Finally, one issue/complaint I have about the Nook Color is their modified USB cable. It's not very good quality and I read many reports online about them breaking. B&N will replace the cable for free under warranty, but otherwise it's not cheap. I struggle to connect the USB after reading in the dark and wish there were an easier way to charge it at night.

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Thanks for the warning! My library will charge me something like twice the money if I break anything (although I guess I could swap the cord myself, it's not tagged).

Yes, the heaviness surprised me. Offhand, I don't know the measurements, but it feels as heavy or heavier than an iPad2. And the balkiness also surprised me.

Ironically Pulse is the app I was trying to think of for Mi An; and you mentioned it and I saw a mention somewhere else that jogged my memory. When it first came out the Times objected to it and Apple pulled it from their store. Then reinstated it. I guess it's still available there also.

6. Chet L.

Chet L. Mobile Deity

With today's update of the Nook Color to 1.4.1, you can now watch Netflix. The Netflix app is a free download and there is the option of a free 30 day trial of Netflix. I watched an episode of Mythbusters today and it played flawlessly.

My original cord broke within 2 months, but the replacement has worked perfectly and is even easier to insert. The original cord was a real PITA to use.