Nokia X Shifts from Android to Windows Phone as Microsoft Lays Off 18,000 Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Jeff Dunn, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Jeff Dunn

Jeff Dunn TechnologyGuide Assistant Editor

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella announced the largest round of layoffs in company history this morning, and signaled the end Microsoft's flirtation with Android in the process.

Read the full content of this Article: Nokia X Shifts from Android to Windows Phone as Microsoft Lays Off 18,000

Related Articles:

Nokia Lumia Icon Review: The Last Great Nokia Phone

Nokia X2 Marks Microsoft's Push into Android

Cricket Bringing Nokia Lumia 1320 Phablet to US

What Does Windows Phone 8.1 Mean for Business?

Can You Really Work from a Smartphone with Microsoft Office Mobile?

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
    John Farrel likes this.
  2. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

Not that it doesn't make corporate sense for Microsoft, I guess, but essentially the wholesale slaughter of Nokia, the company that allowed WP to get the small toehold it has. My, what big teeth you have, Grandma. :rolleyes: Guess I'm sentimental about Nokia. ;)

And, yes, I know, there was a potentially equally grim future for Nokia if they hadn't have gone with Microsoft. They were in trouble. MS didn't do that to them.

Mi An and CLeonard like this.
  3. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I always admired certain Nokia hardware from a distance, before they got into generic slab production. It was a brave company. I commented often in the early days on the then-former MS exec's decisions that always, (not so) shockingly, put MS's well-being above Nokia's. That the now returned MS Executive VP Elop is the one to lower the final boom surprises me not at all. "Hello there" indeed. Hook's wolf in grandma's clothing analogy is very apt.

Some have argued that Nokia never could have managed a multiplatform strategy and it wasn't worth trying Android at all given Samsung's dominance, but 1) Samsung wasn't overwhelmingly dominant in 2010 or 2011, and the lead position was changing hands rapidly, with HTC dominating in Android 1.x and Moto surging in 2.x. It was a dynamic environment. 2) Samsung ultimately achieved dominance with the sort of broad approach that Nokia excelled at before Elop (the approach HTC took before the blogosphere taunted them into One-size-fits-all).

I hope the old Nokia that still does other stuff eventually reenters the fray when their contractual obligations not to expire. I wonder if they might have legal wiggle room to make, for example, Ara components, even before that. An n97 style tilting sliding screen module would certainly make me smile. That would also let them fund, build up a division and train for a time when they get the old band back together and make their own phones again. If not, I hope Google's ATAP snatches up some talent from the exiting old guard.

RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  4. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

Does this mean the old N86 and N87 (or is it N85, can't remember) that I have will be worth a lot of money soon? ;-)

- Tim

5. John Farrel

John Farrel Mobile Evangelist

Well, I know this is going to happen after a while because at firsts Windows has tried entering in the market with a little help from the Android but what they have forgotten is, people are in love with the Android appearance not the Windows looks, I guess Microsoft has also understood it well that they can't get inside the market just by taking the name of Android. This might be the reason why they are planning to fire 18,000 employes ! that's just a big loss. I would say instead of concentrating over the Windows Phone they should concentrate over the their OS i.e. Windows for the PC ! :)

6. CLeonard

CLeonard Brighthand Site Admin Super Moderator

Seems very similar to Google's acquisition of Motorola. Buy a struggling company for their assets and intellectual property. Fail to utilize this in a profitable way. Have to wonder if MS will look to spin Nokia off. If so, who would even be potential buyers?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  7. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

Not quite equivalent. They need to produce hardware for WP because, honestly, no one else seems to want to. They just don't need that many Nokia people to do it.

Mitlov likes this.
  8. mtidmarsh

mtidmarsh Administrator Moderator

From what I've read, this is a move that resembles Nadella cleaning up Steve Ballmer's mess. I think he fully believes that the Nokia acquisition was a huge mistake and as Chris mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft decided to spin Nokia off.