Nokia Lumia 1020 Officially Announced, Priced at $300

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by mtidmarsh, Jul 11, 2013.

1. mtidmarsh

mtidmarsh Administrator Moderator

After weeks and weeks of speculation, Nokia finally unveiled its camera-focused Lumia 1020 in New York today. Some of the more impressive features include: 41-megapixel camera, dual capture, detailed zooming and Nokia's Pro Camera Software (which allows for both automatic shooting right out of the box and the ability to customize various photo/video settings). It will be available for pre-order on July 16 and go on sale July 26. However, it will cost users $300 (on a new two-year contract). What are your first impressions of the Nokia Lumia 1020.

2. NexusRaptor

NexusRaptor Mobile Enthusiast

I saw a few imaging videos on YouTube and the camera on this Lumia is undeniably leagues ahead of the competition.

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The image quality is mind-blowing and the camera UI is excellent, but the two-second delay between shots is simply unacceptable to a parent like me. Need to take a half-dozen pictures at a time to get one where my two boys aren't picking their noses or poking each other.

Pity, because I otherwise adore the phone. Of course, Nokia's habit of putting its best phones on AT&T only doesn't help a US Cellular guy like me.

4. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

It doesn't have burst mode? Perhaps third party software can provide that, like Pro Capture on Android?

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

There is a burst mode; the two-second delay the reviews talk about seems to be after the photo is taken and before you see the results (i.e., processing). I think with burst mode it takes a bunch of photos in a short duration and then processes them all afterward.

The scenario where the Lumia 1020's delay is a problem is (1) take a picture, (2) "no, that wasn't quite right," (3) take another picture, (4) "nope, still not right," (5) repeat. Which I find myself in a lot. I don't often use burst mode despite this, because if I capture the right photo the first time, I'm not sure I want five more.

I'm probably being stupid and impractical, but that's how I tend to take photos with my phone.

6. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I was making a quick reply and it was too quick and sounded like I was saying burst mode was the solution. It could be one way to end run the problem, but without a doubt a 2 second delay is a big problem and sorry if I sounded like you were making a big deal out of nothing. You weren't. :)

RickAgresta likes this.
  7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

No, it was a very fair question and I actually didn't even know if the Lumia 1020 could do burst mode until you asked. That definitely mitigates the issue somewhat.

For what it's worth, as a result of this discussion, I've now enabled burst mode in ProCapture. Three-shot bursts...good enough for an M16A2, good enough for my phone ;)

RickAgresta likes this.
  8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

That's why a massive number of pixels is mostly idiotic for a smartphone camera.

Mitlov likes this.