Nokia Camera, Selfie

Discussion in 'Nokia' started by Jerry_NJ, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

I have a Nokia Lumina 630, think that's the model, may not matter running Windows 8.1

I figure there must be some way to trigger the camera with a delay, say 5 seconds, to give time to turn the camera around to shot a "selfie".. perhaps the info is in the user manual, but welcome any tips here, including look in the manual, it is there (Key word Selfie?)..

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

in Android, there is usually a sub-menu within the camera app that allows you to set a timer; it may be on the main camera screen, as a setting icon. in my case, I find it as a choice when I tap the cog icon, upper-left of the screen.

Screenshot_2015-08-30-11-40-14.png

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

4. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Thanks, I found the application you provided in my W8.1 Lumia (got the model right this time, thanks there too) "Store". I'll down load and give it a try.. surely it is better than trying to trigger the camera on the side opposite my eyes.

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Jumping in with an on-topic Nokia Lumia 635, off topic for selfie...

My phone jumped out of my shirt pocket (never put it there) when I was bending over out on my gravel driveway. It fell no more than 3' has fallen farther on the rug inside. I pick it up and WHAT!! the screen is broken badly...

The phone still works but I go shopping anyway and find Youtube instructions on how to replace the screen.

Amazon has the screen for $17 or the whole phone for $40... may just buy a new phone... that said I see an Amazon Fire for $50 tablet, can that be used for a smart phone too.. or are tablets in general not phones.

While replacing the screen looks very "doable" I'm leaning toward just buying a new phone.. then all I have to do is move my SIM and the Additional Memory chip I installed on my existing phone.... suppose that requires some initialization with my carrier, AT&T Gophone. Advice?

6. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Jerry, Gophone doesn't care. Just stick your sim card in the new phone and away you go. You only have to go to AT&T if you get a phone that requires a different size SIM card, which they will generally give you (they always have for me). So, if you get the same phone, no problem at all.

7. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Thanks, yes the local brick-and-motor AT&T store took my old Cell Phone SIM and mapped it into the different physical size needed in the Nokia Lumia.

I am thinking I'll go ahead and buy a replacement screen. Looking again at the Youtube demonstration it looks like a slam dunk to replace the screen with no more than 15 minutes work.

I'm still open to the idea of a Tablet as a replacement. The iPhone is a tablet, right? I get email and text (phone based) all the time from people with an iPhone signature.

The low-end Amazon Fire is a few generations behind I think and Android I think...

8. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Jerry, the iPhone is a phone, not a tablet, and rather expensive (although the iPhone 6+ is called a Phablet because it is a phone with a large screen). Most tablets are wifi only although there are a few that have data. Both *can* be used to make calls and text, but they are work arounds like Skype. If calls and texts are important to you, I wouldn't go the tablet route.

RickAgresta and Mi An like this.
  9. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Fwiw Jerry, in 9 years of smartphone ownership I've broken one screen, and it was a lumia. They seem to be more prone to it.

RickAgresta likes this.
  10. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Oh, and the kindle fire is a good tablet but is not a phone replacement...there are a few tablets that might do that but kindle fire wouldn't make my list.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.