No Windows Mobile 6.1 Upgrades for Current iPAQs

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

<p>Last week, Microsoft formally unveiled Windows Mobile 6.1, the latest version of its operating system for handhelds and smartphones.</p><p>Naturally, the owners of current devices are anxious to know if and when updates for their units will be released.</p><p>Unfortunately, there's bad news for users of HP's latest iPAQs. Responding to a question from <em>Brighthand</em>, Mike Hockey, Hewlett-Packard's Worldwide Public Relations Manager, said: </p><blockquote><p>HP will not be offering an operating system upgrade for currently shipping HP iPAQ devices beyond what ships on the device today -- Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.&nbsp; </p><p><span>This decision comes after having evaluated the potential for delays in firmware and software updates, device recertification, and carry-over costs to our customers that are often associated with an operating system upgrade.</span><span></span></p><p><span>HP is committed to continuing its long-standing relationship with Microsoft and will deliver HP iPAQs with Windows Mobile 6.1 at a future date.</span></p></blockquote><p><span><br /><strong>Related Articles:</strong></span></p><ul>

<span>Microsoft Announces Windows Mobile 6.1</span>

<span>HP iPAQ 210 Enterprise Handheld Review</span>

<span>HP iPAQ 110 Classic Handheld Review</span>

<p><span><br /><script src="http://www.Brighthand.com/assets/1554.js"></script></span></p>

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  2. yildi

yildi Mobile Consultant

As an old Hx4700 user, I was not counting on any reasonable policy by HP on this topic (the updates for Hx4700 were very late and nearly unusable, in comparison with cooked ROMs...). HP's customer policy definitely sucks but they produce the best pocketPCs... The competition does not aim at the same customer base and we are stuck with HP and its despising policies...

3. TimothyP

TimothyP Mobile Deity

Unbelieveable. What was the point of putting the device out and delaying it. This sucks. Now we have to go with some cooked rom in order to get flash on our devices. Great:(

4. SHC

SHC Mobile Deity

This is bad because this is not an upgrade from 2003SE to WM5 (as in the 4700) but just an incremental update from WM6 to WM6.1 What is in 6.1 that would make it difficult for HP to engineer? It makes me even more suspicious that they know there are problems with the 21x implementation of WM6.

And where would we get a cooked ROM from? Hp are just about the only one producing PDA's without phones. It would be some chef who could cook that up!

5. wetsleet

wetsleet Mobile Deity

so what value, if any, do we place on HP's promise of a 3 year support cycle?

6. treynolds

treynolds Mobile Deity

on exactly what the advantages of 6.1 would be on the Ipaq 210???

While we all want the latest and greatest, I would rather have a stable OS, than have one with quirks.

Additionally, I'm not certain that I have the patience to wait for an Ipaq with 6.1, especially given the uncertainty of whether they'd release another device with VGA or greater resolution.

That's my quandry now. Get the 210 soon and have a relatively nice, easy to use VGA device, or wait for a MID with roughly the same form-factor and greater resolution?

Tony

7. adamz

adamz Mobile Evangelist

You don't need WM 6.1 to get Flash. Just install it. Here's how:
    http://www.allshadow.com/2007/11/28/how-to-watch-online-video/

Using TCPMP to play Flash video is 1000 times better than having it embedded in the browser like with Skyfire or Opera Mobile.

8. Genjinaro

Genjinaro ~3rdPrty 4ehvur!~

AFAIK, never buy HP PDAs/Smartphones if you expect to get official upgrades. HP has done this sandbagging with WM6 and will continue this in the future.

9. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

If HP won't do it, the community will. Given all those cooked ROMs for devices like the hx4700, the X50v and X51v, and all of those HTC phones, somebody's bound to try and bring WM6.1 to the 210.

10. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I'm rather surprised by this. With HP talking about a 3-year support cycle, I would have expected them to bother with at least the WM6.1 update rather than trying to slog along with 6.0 for all this time.

11. David Hettel

David Hettel Mobile Deity

Unfortunately you are assuming something that simply isn't true IMHO, the 210 is not stable. Such simple things as indicating if the Wi-Fi is connected don't work reliably. The basic ability to have a compact flash memory card in your iPaq 210 while it is off, without the card draining your battery doesn't work, reliably. Further if the battery is depleted enough, you may or may not be able to recharge the battery. HP is notorious for not fixing software flaws IMHO. The quality of the audio produced by the iPaq 210 has been question. If the iPaq 210 ROM will not be upgraded it is dead in the water and many users did nothing more than pay for the privilege of alpha testing for HP.

12. Shadowlord

Shadowlord Mobile Enthusiast

Damn! I was absolutely hoping for an WM6.1 update...
    Concerning flash support:
    The plugin for TCPMP is a nice solution for Youtube and some other sites, but I was hoping to be able to watch videos on Niconico Douga on my PDA which does not work with TCPMP...

13. DrAT

DrAT Mobile Deity

There are to many bugs for the 214 to be a true corporate device. My Outlook databases have just disappeared again and the screen is getting worse, I'm sure. Then there's sound (an alarm clock?), WiFi, no remote desktop...
    It's a good toy for enthusiasts but I don't see HP supporting it for 3 years. There'll be a cooked ROM but if HP don't intend addressing the bugs, it won't sell. I rather thought they would, whether it was 6.1 or some patches.
    I was going to buy them for work but my experience says it just isn't up to the task as it is.
    I do hope there's something like the 214 that works properly soon.
    There are plenty of older iPAQs foor sale (they cost more than the 214 - I should have seen the warning) but a big screen is a must.

14. palo

palo Mobile Enthusiast

What about 6.2 or 6.3 or 6.8?

How far behind the curve will HP allow us to fall?

p

15. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

I'm not surprised. In fact, I am surprised that any upgrades to a firmware-based OS are provided to any device by any manufacturer.

What I am surprised about is the glacial product replacement cycle of non-cellular devices by all manufacturers, and the persistent gravitation towards low-end devices on cellular devices.

16. wetsleet

wetsleet Mobile Deity

well, call me naive, but I am surprised. Surprised because HP gave me to understand that they would support this product for 3 years. Now that's got to mean more that just stocking replacement stylii for 3 years, surely?
    OK, I've been shot down already for believing them when they said it had an 18-bit screen, apparently I should have known that was a porky and I have been told its not important enough for it to have to be true anyway. But a three year support cycle - you bet I believed them, you bet it was important, and yes it was an important factor in my decision to purchase rather than to wait for WM6.1, just around the corner - after all, 3 years' support, why wait?

17. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

To me, support has always meant status quo. Anything beyond that would be termed upgrade. Semantics, I suppose.

In any case, I share the frustration. I bought a Dell X50V with the understanding that it would be upgradable to WM5, which officially it was, but we all know how well that turned out.

18. flash214

flash214 Mobile Consultant

This happened to me before on my HP iPaq 1945. HP decided that WM2003SE would not be available for this unit running WM2003.

Looks like the only incentive that HP has is maximum profit. The only way that HP would change their mind would be to see a decrease in sales. Hopefully this will happen after people realize that HP is not exactly what you call a supportive company.

19. billpool

billpool Elder Newbie

How about classy actions?

bill
    :newpalm:

20. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Windows Mobile Curmudgeon

While HP didn't promise an upgrade, it seems very unfriendly to just start shipping a new Pocket PC with WM 6 and not allow upgrading to an OS that was announced shortly after.

I suppose this is the "new" HP, though -- forget about your loyal customers who helped make you one of the top PDA companies around. Compaq and HP used to offer upgrades, but I don't believe they've offered any since they made WM 5 upgrades for the hx4700 and hx2xxxx series.

I think my OS upgrade editorial written back in 2003 still holds true.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.