No joy when trying to sync.

Discussion in 'Palm' started by steve_bb2, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

That's great news, Steve! It's good to know your hotsync is now working.

If you're ready to install programs, one of the first you should look at is a backup to card solution. You see, PalmDesktop makes a backup of the Palm's main memory (not the LD's 3GB storage partition) during hotsync, but this backup is not 100% complete, meaning the LD will not return to the exact previous state it was in if you hard reset and restore via hotsync. A good backup program will do this, plus since the backup is stored in the SD card you take it with you everywhere, and you don't need a computer to backup or restore your data.

Some good backup programs are NVBackup, RescoBackup, BackupMan. NVBackup is freeware, the others are shareware. A lot of people around here prefer NVBackup, while I'm a happy RescoBackup user.

You may be wondering why you should bother with another backup besides hotsync. If you run a search on the forums, you will find quite a few threads where users lost all the data on their Palms, only to find that hotsync failed to restore the data, or simply hadn't been backing up the info without them noticing, or the data loss happened while they're on the road away from their computer. Here's where a backup to card program becomes a lifesaver.

2. steve_bb2

steve_bb2 Mobile Enthusiast

**Holds hand up**

It's confession time. I'm not really a high powered mover and shaker in the Financial District. I don't really need to have the full facts and figures of the Stock Market at my fingertips 24/7. As for contacts, everybody I know has at most 2 phone numbers (home and mobile). Their mobile number is stored in my mobile phone and their home number is in my head (about 40 in total). As for meetings and work related timetables, screw that game, lol. I retired on 16th March 1995 so none of that stuff matters much to me.
    What I bought the Lifedrive for was simply to have a gizmo that I could put in my pocket to watch a movie or listen to an audio book, maybe even read an e-book if I was feeling energetic, while sat in line for a haircut or on a bus or any of the hundreds of occasions in life where you wish you had thought to bring something to pass the time.

Am I the odd one out of Palm Lifedrive users? :)

3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Retired and with a new LD to play with? And you think you're odd... are you kidding me? ;) Most of us can't use our Palms for fun only... we have to work with them. I still have about 20 years to go before I can happily retire! :D

There are a number of programs to help you enjoy your LD. For movies, TCPMP is the best option, not only because it's free, but also because it can play a lot of movie formats. For ebooks there are a number of options. eReader is very popular, and you can find lots of free books for it. I personally prefer iSilo, which can read not only its propietary format, but also *.txt files and palmdoc files. There are a few more ebook programs available, such as PalmFiction, TomeRaider, etc.

I believe the LD comes with a version of Pocket Tunes (pTunes) installed to listen to music and audiobooks. This should be more than enough for your needs, but you could also upgrade to newer versions with more features if you feel the need to.

4. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

No need to confess. There isn't one 'right' way to use a Lifedrive or any Palm, smartphone, etc. Compared to most here, I'm a pretty lightweight user. I use my Lifedrive for:

WordSmith. This is probably 60% of my use. I use it to write, read e-books, and as a pseudo database manager.

The other uses in rough order are probably:
    Contacts and calendar (PIM)
    Email
    watching videos
    listening to music
    browsing the internet (I thought I'd do a lot more of this; but I inherited a laptop not long after I got it, so I use that a lot when I might have used the LD.)

Edit: I should also note that WordSmith ties into the native Memos function, which I also use a lot via WS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.