No joy when trying to sync.

Discussion in 'Palm' started by steve_bb2, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve_bb2

steve_bb2 Mobile Enthusiast

Hi guys,
    I'm sorry if this is overkill with the info but I don't want to miss out any important bits.
    I'm pulling out what little hair that I have left here and could really use some advice. Here's the deal.
    I am trying to Hot sync a Palm Lifedrive, which appears to be in excellent working and cosmetic order, with my Windows XP (SP3) which has massive hard drive space, 2gb of RAM and runs at 2.8GHz. Along with the Lifedrive, I have a power lead which has a Hot sync button and a USB lead. The USB lead fits into the back of the power lead. I also have a Palm Lifedrive cradle which has power, USB and a Hot sync button. None of the wires or cables seem to be frayed or have any kind of damage.
    On my desktop PC I have installed ....
    Lifedrive manager, PalmOne Quick install and Palm Desktop.
    What I am trying to do is get the desktop to recognise the existance of the Palm Lifedrive, and vice versa, so that I can install stuff and otherwise move stuff around from PC to Palm.
    I have tried this with the cradle and also using just the wires for power and USB connection to the PC. In both instances the power lead is plugged in and switched on. Also in both instances the USB lead is connected (USB 2.0) at both ends of the lead. The USB lead, when being plugged in, gives off the standard USB "I'm connected" beep.
    As far as I can see, the PC screen shows no activity when I press the Hot Sync button but the Palm shows Hot sync type symbols and just the first one has any colour to it. There is then a message on-screen saying .... Connecting with the desktop using cable/cradle"
    After about 15 seconds there is a single beep and another message appears saying, "Hotsync Problem ... The connection between your device and the desktop could not be established. Please check your setup and try again"

I have deleted and re-installed the software twice.
    Any ideas?
    Don't be afraid to think that I may have missed something elemental 'cos that's always possible.
    Cheers, m'dears.
    Steve

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Some things to check:

- Verify that the hotsync connection is set to "Local USB". To do this, click on the hotsync icon in the system tray. See which option has a check.

- If the USB Local option appears grayed out, then this means that PalmDesktop was not properly installed. More often than not, this happens when the user does not have administrative rights, because those users can't install hardware drivers (such as the Palm USB driver that is installed with PalmDesktop). Verify that your user has admin. rights, if it does not, give it the rights. Then un-install PalmDesktop, reboot the computer, then install again.

This problem can also be caused by an antivirus program: if the av blocks the installation of the USB driver, then the USB Local option will appear grayed out. So if the above does not work, disable the av program, then un-install and re-install PalmDesktop.

- If still the problem persists, you will have to do a deep clean of the computer to remove every trace of PalmDesktop. Delete the program folders, then run regedit and delete every reference to PalmDesktop, Palm, PalmOne, etc. Before doing this be sure that any info on the computer's PalmDesktop's folder is backed up elsewhere. Once the PC is clean, install PalmDesktop again, taking care to follow the above recommendations.

- Check the Lifedrive's multi-connector (where you plug the USB cable). The gold-plated contacts should be clean and shiny. Dirt, corrosion, or pocket lint may prevent good electrical contact. If the contacts don't look clean, scrape them lightly, preferably with a round toothpick. When I have none available I use a scalpel to gently and lightly scrape the contacts until they're clean. A needle can also be used for this.

- Try another USB ports on the computer, another computer, another Palm, another cable, etc. Try to rule out possibilities. I.e.: if the cable works with another Palm, then cable is ok, etc... Be aware that the cable's wires could be broken even if there's no visual sign of damage on the outer jacket.

Hopes this helps, and please keep us posted.

EDIT: Don't worry about info overkill. Actually, the more info you provide, the easier it will be to troubleshoot the problem.

Also, I think you should read the LifeDrive manual to get familiar with its basic usage. The manual can be downloaded from Palm's website.

3. steve_bb2

Hi there,
    Just a quick reply to say that I have seen and read your reply and I thank you for taking the time to help. It may take a while to get back with the results but I'll post them as I do them.
    I can already report that I have tried USB 1.1 & 2.0 ports. I have tried USB ports that are an integeral part of the computer and I have tried hubs both powered by the mains and powered by the PC.
    Nothing has made a difference.
    I'll go and try some of the other suggestions now.
    Cheers m'dears,
    Steve

4. steve_bb2

First and easiest first. The connection pins are all bright and shiny with no dust, muck, rust or lint. This is the pins on the cradle, the alternate power leads and the Lifedrive itself.
    So the good news is that one issue can be ignored for now.
    The bad news is that I just tried to Hot sync a Palm TX and got exactly the same kind of results.
    That leads me to think that there is a problem with the way that I have this whole thing set up.

Time to try something else.

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

There's a lot there; but just because you don't see any obvious 'fraying' etc., doesn't mean that at some point a wire wasn't crimped in a way to break it.

Since you have the cradle too, I think you can systematically try the various connections to see where the problem is (unless of course the problem is in the LD unit itself).

6. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

This may have been mentioned above, but did you try soft reseting? I own a Lifedrive as well, and whenever I can't use Drive Mode or Hot Sync, a soft reset almost always solves the issue. A free program you may try is Clean Prefs. It removes uneeded settings found in Unsaved Prefs, which the app advertises to solve Bluetooth issues, and seems to fix the issue for me that you mentioned above. Another program you should check out for backing up, if you haven't already, is NVBackup. It completely backs up your Lifedrive's Palm OS memory to your SD card. Both programs are free.

http://tinyurl.com/NV-Backup
    I can't find Clean Prefs at the moment, though.

1,400th post!

7. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

Hi Steve-
    From what you say you installed (Livedrive Manager), you installed from the Lifedrive CD. There is a point in the middle of the install where it asks you to hotsync, DO NOT HOTSYNC, SKIP IT! For some reason, this will screw things up for some PC's.

Just do the install, skipping the Hotsync. Hard reset the Lifedrive. Then Hotsync.

8. steve_bb2

I appreciate all your help, guys. I really do.
    I tried to get the whole Hot sync thing going with a laptop running Windows 7 using software called something like Hot Sync 62. That didn't seem to want to work either. I am at work for the rest of the day so won't be around much but what I plan to do is wipe everything with the word "Palm" or any words associated with Palm, from my PC. I will then do a hard reset on the Lifedrive and the TX (I have no personal data on them as yet) and then start over.
    I have the genuine Palm install discs for both the Lifedrive and the Palm TX but I'm just wondering if I should use them or whether I should download files direct from Palm which may be more up to date than the files on the discs. I ask this because of something that happened during one of my attempts to get PC and LD connected. A message popped up during the early stages of the install asking me if I wanted to go online and download the latest updates from Palm. I clicked the "YES" button but after a few seconds another message appeared saying that I wasn't connected to the internet. That is complete rubbish because this PC is connected to the internet 24/7 and only gets rebooted when software installs and windows updates dictate.
    I figured that I could run the software "as is" and update at a later date. The problem there is that without being able to Hot Sync, I couldn't get the updates (I never tried)
    I think my next port of call will be the Palm site to see if there is a download that I should use instead of the discs that came with the units.

Happy days.

9. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Better stick to fixing the hotsync on the XP box. Don't try on the Win7 yet... it can be really tricky from what I hear.

Before doing more drastic things, did you check the USB Local option in the hotsync's icon in the systray? Since the hotsync fails for the LD and TX, then the problem is almost certainly on the computer.

It's best to skip the "dowload updates" during installation. Also, the program on the CD is perfectly adequate, so it shouldn't be necessary to download newer versions of it. My TX runs on its original PalmDesktop on my XP SP3 computer, no problem at all.

If USB is still no go, you can try hotsyncing over WiFi. How-to details are in the LD's and TX's manual. There is also an extensive thread about wireless sync here

10. steve_bb2

Houston .... We have lift-off.
    I can't be 100% certain what I did that helped me along the Hot Sync path but I am pretty sure that it was because I ditched the CD that came with the Lifedrive and instead, installed PD414esetup (file version 11.0.0.28844) on to my computer. After that, it was all plain sailing ...... almost.
    I still got the request to go on-line to download the latest version of Hot Sync followed by another message saying that the internet could not be accessed. I'll wager that has something to do with the initial problem.
    Before downloading that new software, I used Ccleaner to uninstall any Palm software and then I did a thorough search for any files with "Palm" in either the title or text of any files. I got rid of all the ones that were outwith a folder on my desktop called "Palm Stuff".
    My Hotsynching now works with the loose cables AND also with the cradle AND also with the Palm TX as well as the Lifedrive.
    My guess, and slap me with a kipper if I'm wrong, is that the problem was caused by a combination of the official Lifedrive CD mixed with XP Pro SP3 (including all the latest updates) and not being able to update to the latest Hot Sync software during installation.

raspabalsa
    .... Yes, I took your advice and the first thing I did when I got the chance was check that the "Local USB" was ticked. As for trying to get it working with Windows 7, it was advised earlier that I try all the combinations of connections that I could in order to eliminate issues. The only other PC that I had handy just happened to have Windows 7 on it.
    Anyway, now that I have a window of opportunity, and before I break it again, I think I'll install all the programmes that I have for it.

My next problem (said while reaching for the manual,) is how to install stuff to the 3.?? gb hard drive and what kind of stuff should be put in there?

Cheers, m'dears.
    Steve

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.