Nexus 5 with 4.4.2 crashing when enable USB tethering...

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by tbessie, Dec 16, 2013.

1. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

Hey all...

I just tried tethering my Nexus 5 with USB for the first time since installing the 4.4.2 update.

After connecting the phone and turning on USB tethering, it crashes after about 20 seconds (the phone reboots).

Anyone seen this?

- Tim

2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I've never used USB tethering and have never quite understood it's purpose. I use the wifi hotspot feature to set up a secure WPA2 connection for my tablet or laptop when in places like airports, but haven't even had the opportunity to try that since getting the N5, so I'm not much help.

I tried it just now and my Win 7 computer complained I didn't have the right driver. Not curious enough to venture further, sorry. Also, since I have an alternative ROM, may not be a good test anyway. :)

3. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

Well, before WiFi hotspots on phones were around, and if you did't have Bluetooth tethering, you'd use USB tethering - that's its purpose.

Also, to your computer it looks much more just like a regular NIC card, so I find it pretty dependable without needing to use WiFi. Also, it's useful if your computer doesn't have WiFi or Bluetooth - eg. my desktop machine at work, where we're on a restricted network, the only way I can read my email (which is via SSH) is to use a different network, and it being a desktop machine, doesn't have built-in WiFi or Bluetooth. I actually did buy a USB WiFi adapter for it, but my Nexus' WiFi hotspot function is less dependable than USB tethering.

Hope that answers your question. :)

- Tim

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

USB tethering will also consume less battery, iirc

5. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Since I'm not even allowed to do that at work and at home the only computer without wifi has a direct cable connection to the cable modem, it just never occurred to me to use it.

6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

What exactly is USB tethering? What kinds of devices do you use it with? Is it a hardwire connection where you mean just plugging in a USB device into your phone/tablet like a hard drive as some here have described? I can see why that would be called tethering; but it seems confusing when the same term is used with the wireless communication between devices.

7. RickAgresta

When I was staying at a rental that had no internet, I tethered my Droid X to my laptop, using PC & Android software and the data cable. Had to do it that way because the phone is 3G, and the carrier would have charged extra to use the phone as a Hotspot -- part of their agreement with the FCC when they acquired the 4G band was to not charge extra for hotspot use.

8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

So what you mean is using the USB port and a hardwire-connection to utilize the 3G wireless of your phone on your laptop instead of using your phone to create a hotspot? I get that. That's one form of tethering I understood; but didn't realize that meant USB tethering, but it makes sense.

9. RickAgresta

yes, USB port on PC, microUSB on DroidX, connected by the data cable, creating a wired hotspot for one™ :D