Nexus 5: Read and write to external storage without root. Nexus Media Importer Revisited.

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Hook, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I hadn't been paying much attention to Nexus Media Importer lately. When it first came out, it provided a usable but awkward read only access to external media on my Nexus 7 tablet. It was never a possibility with my Nexus 4 (and, unfortunately still doesn't work with the Nexus 4 because of someone's insane decision to not properly implement the hardware for USB Host capability). However, now, I have discovered it works fine with the Nexus 5 (confirming it really does have USB-To-Go capability). What's more, it has been improved and can both read and write to FAT32 partitions.

Therefore, I can put a micro sd card in THIS (I have a 32 GB one and will be getting a 64 GB when I can afford it) and use it to store media or to copy documents back and forth. A very portable combination (although the meenova reader is very compact and hugs the phone tightly and firmly, I probably will only attach it when using it), or I can attach a thumb drive or even a powered portable hard drive. The fact that I can now read and write both internal memory ans the external card from withing the program is very useful

The drawback, which will lead me to rooting eventually, is that only the NMI app can be used to do this. No other app can see the added storage and make use of it directly, alas. I'm not sure why, if NMI can do it, other programs can't liscence the technology from the developer and build it in, but this is still a nice extra capability.

I will still root for the extra storage for all programs directly, but I won't need to do it quite as fast. ;)

RickAgresta, Mi An and jigwashere like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I've been using my E4GT w/o the microSD card. The only thing I really needed external memory for was music and videos for long trips, not so much for daily use. The Meenova Mini MicroSD Card Reader will solve that issue for me, it looks like. Then again, when I travel, I usually have my netbook along and can transfer media that way, too. I'm also used to transferring photos from my device to my PC by popping out the microSD card, but obviously a simple process change on my part will handle that.

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Just found out a few days ago that my Note II supports "On The Go" cables and thus supports usb mice, keyboards, thumb drives and portable drives. I had no idea... Bonus that this is out of the box. Root not required.

Sent fom my Samsung Galaxy Note II.

scjjtt likes this.
  4. Hook

Yes, as identified at the meenova site I linked.

By the way, HC, can you fix the title of this thread for me. :eek::rolleyes:

5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Title fixed. You're welcome. :)

6. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

jigwashere likes this.
  7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

It's still ridiculous how few devices incorporate card slots and support for using the storage on those cards easily.

headcronie, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I agree. The ability to swap batteries, even if only done once a year, is another sticking point for me.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

9. Hook

Thank you, gracious and lovely mod. :)

lelisa13p likes this.
  10. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Jigwashere, yes, swappable batteries are great; but as batteries have gotten better it's less of a concern for me. Plus, if you can carry an extra battery, you can carry one of these device chargers too. Not as elegant; but about the same. There isn't quite as much of an equivalence for the ease of having a card slot in a device over having to use a plug-in and/or extra cables. For me, I'd think both are important differentiators for devices, especially on Android.