Nexus 5 backlight changing unexpectedly

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by tbessie, Nov 15, 2013.

1. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

A response to my question about why this might happen for some and not others got a slightly similar suggestion here:

Brightness throttling, disappointing. - Page 3 - xda-developers

... someone there said that people had reported different Nexus 5 units having different absolute max screen brightnesses. I don't know how accurate that is, but if it's true, it might trigger thermal profiles differently.

Yeah, I don't know about that contrast thing - I had only seen it mentioned with regard to other devices, so it might not apply. I should look for that thread again.

I'm running everything absolutely stock, not even unlocked and rooted.

- Tim

Hook likes this.
  2. tbessie

I have all sync's shut off too - I have Gmail on manual sync, but don't sync anything else (I use Aquamail too for my other email accounts). I also turned off Okay Google (and am running Nova anyway, so wouldn't have access to it, but I turned the setting off before I changed launchers).

You might just be lucky... or I might just be UN-lucky. :-/

- Tim

3. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Good question you asked over at XDA.

I have to admit, given the low reportage of this problem, if I were in your position, I would gamble with a replacement unit. Worst case, nothing changes. Best case...

You don't need the original packaging. I did this with my N4. You call up Google, they send you an new unit and RMA labels for LG. A charge goes on your card, but stays in the processing category. As long as LG gets the returned unit and scans it in a reasonable amount of time, the charge never goes trough and disappears (in my case, did so even before LG got it).

Up to you, of course.

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Tim, re: the xda response -- going back to my undergraduate days in chem lab, a small change in a low-light environment is easier to detect than an equivalent change in a high-light environment. in this case, I'd expect to see the problem more easily in units that had lower intrinsic screen brightness, versus in units that higher intrinsic screen brightness. anyone else here remember the different screens the TX had? those seemed to be more about hue than brightness, but my point is that the situation with the N5 isn't unique. personally, I'd be on the phone looking to get a replacement unit. good luck!

tbessie and Mi An like this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Look on the bright side. If this is only happening when looking at your Nexus 5, you can rule out that you're having a stroke. :eek:

tbessie, Mi An, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  6. tbessie

T'anks! :)

Hmm. I returned my Nexus 7 2013 because I didn't like the way it felt, nothing wrong with it. I wonder if they would be like "You keep returning stuff" and reject it. Also, do you think there's any chance of getting a refurbished model if I returned the Nexus 5? I absolutely hate refurbished anything.

- Tim

7. tbessie

That *is* a bright side! :)

- Tim

PS "Bright" side? Pun??

8. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I certainly didn't get one with my N4 and that was 4-5 months after it came out. I think if it were going to LG for warranty service (i.e., you send your unit to them and they send it back from repair) that might happen, but I don't think Google does that with an RMA replacement, which I think is shipped from the warehouse.

9. tbessie

Well I just tested this with the backlight turned down to maybe 75% or so, and if it happened it was less noticeable (I didn't really notice anything).

I will test this some more - if I can avoid it by just turning down the backlight a bit, I might keep it and not RMA it, since RMA'ing it (and re-installing everything - didn't root/unlock) would be a major pain in butt.

- Tim

Hook likes this.