Nexus 5 backlight changing unexpectedly

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by tbessie, Nov 15, 2013.

1. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

Something I just noticed with my Nexus 5 - reading an article on a browser window that's all white, I sometimes see the backlight level change suddenly for no reason. The phone is set to max brightness, so no change should be happening.

The change is very slight, but it's definitely happening.

Anyone else see this happening?

- Tim

Sent from my Nexus 5

2. tbessie

Just reproduced this - opened Gmail, scrolled down a few times to force load of a few pages, waited, brightness stepped up a notch by itself.

The first time, it happened after about 16 seconds, the second time after about 25 seconds.

It might be tied to processor activity and power usage, I'm thinking.

- Tim

Sent from my Nexus 5

3. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

You have it on Auto-brightness. Turn it off. One of the first things I did.

RickAgresta likes this.
  4. tbessie

Didn't read my full posting, didja? It's on max brightness, auto brightness is off.

Sent from my Nexus 5

5. Hook

Are you sure? Because that is how auto brightness behaves and because they put the control for it at one end of the brightness adjustment bar, it is easy to set it back on or mistakenly think you turned it off, especially since it lets you move the slider even when it is on. I nade that mistake a couple of times. If it isn't that, I haven't seen what you are reporting.

6. tbessie

100 percent absolutely sure - I wouldn't post such a thing without first checking that, my good sir.

Sent from my Nexus 5

RickAgresta likes this.
  7. Hook

Didn't think you would, but like I said, I found it an awkwardly designed control and accidentally turned it on once myself. If that's not it, I'm stumped. It is not happening here.

I checked with both Firefox and Kindle.

8. tbessie

I posted this question on xda just now, and also did some more searching, found others who have seen this and say it is the processor throttling and unthrottling.

Sent from my Nexus 5

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Is there a power-saving option? On my E4GT, I can turn on power saving in settings. Under power saving, there are various options that might affect screen brightness, I think.

10. Hook

Be interesting to see what you find out. Looking around the internet, it looks like this popped up with Jelly Bean but seems to affect only a small number of people. Which is strange. If it were Android, you'd expect more people to be affected, and if it were hardware, you'd expect more with the same hardware to be affected. Hard to believe a 2.26 Ghz processor supported with 2GB RAM would be throttling for much of anything. ;)

Let us know what you learn. I don't have it. If I did, I'd be asking Google to replace it.