Nextel 7520 BlackBerry

Discussion in 'Blackberry' started by DRNewcomb, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRNewcomb

DRNewcomb Mobile Deity

My brother, who is not a techno-geek, showed up for his new job and was handed a 7520 BlackBerry with Nextel service and told to carry it all the time. They trained him how to use the e-mail and phone functions and that's about all. We were looking at it and saw that it had GPS, WAP, Java and long list of other features. I spent some time today reading the manuals from the Sprint/Nextel website.

I'm curious about what (if anything) can be done with this device that Nextel won't tell me? For instance, it seem to have a J2ME environment. Does the 7520 support 3rd party J2ME applications? Are there any particularly handy ones? Any place I should look for hints, cheats, etc? Can you tether via Bluetooth?

2. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

3. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Oh yeah, I'd recommend Google Maps:
    www.google.com/gmm/

It definitely works with the BlackBerry 7520, and it proably supports the built-in GPS receiver. And it's free.

4. DRNewcomb

DRNewcomb Mobile Deity

OK, so there's really a lot of software available for the BB. I use a Palm myself and wasn't aware of all the programs for the BB.

I'll have him find out how much freedom he has in the way he uses the company BlackBerry and let him know some of the options.

5. Ashton

Ashton Dell Axim X51v Advocate

I had the 7510, and compared to a smartphone (windows OR palm), the software is VERY limited, and the costs are very high for such a slow service ($30 for phone, $30 for Inet, $40 for BIS (which is 14.4 btw) that's $100 a month! and as I said you're getting 14.4kbps internet access.) I payed $30 a month and had a MotoQ with 400kbps average internet, with spikes of over 1.2mbps (on sprint PCS) Even with a smartphone on Nextel @ 14.4 you'll cut out the $40 a month BIS charge (and dont think you can use the BB without it)

you can tether it using SharkModem (dont know if it supports BT tether or has to be USB though) but again you have 14.4kbps, which is not worth anything but checking email or RSS feeds...

6. DRNewcomb

DRNewcomb Mobile Deity

Thanks. I'm beginning to figure out just how limited Nextel's data service really is. I mean, I knew that iDEN runs on like a 20kHz physical channel and that getting 8 voice slots in there required some black magic but I never really connected that with data rates. Still in all, after he learns what sort of plan the company has and what limitations they put on the use of the BB, then he'll be able to decide how far to go with added applets, tethering, etc.

7. DRNewcomb

DRNewcomb Mobile Deity

Well, we did down both Opera Mini 3.1 and Google Maps and both worked quite well. Does anyone know if Google Maps can read fromt he onboard GPS? I saw an option for BT GPS but not onboard GPS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.