NEWS: Barnes & Noble to Launch Another Nook Tablet

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Ed Hardy, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Brighthand's sister site TabletPCReview published a news article this morning I thought some of you would be interesete in:
    Barnes & Noble will be launching a new, more expensive tablet under the Nook name, according to an unconfirmed report. ​
    You can read the full text of this article at:

2. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

It's probably time for an update to the NC, but I think B&N found the sweet spot at $249. I don't think it does nearly as well at $349 unless there is a compelling difference.

3. Chet L.

Chet L. Mobile Deity

Just got an email from B&N that the Nook Tablet is available for pre-order at $249 and will be available on 11/18/2011. The Nook Color price has dropped to $199. Looks like they determined that $249 was their sweet spot.

4. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

Yeah, I cancelled my Kindle Fire pre-order and made a Nook Tablet pre-order. Netflix + Hulu Plus > Amazon Prime for me. Expandable memory alone is worth the $50.

5. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

The wife just pre-ordered a Nook Tablet today, mostly because of how well the rooted NookColor project went. I'll post a user review or add my two cents to any other posted thread once we receive it.

6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

IP I'm looking forward to it. I think this would be great for my mother.

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Do you know if CM7 will work on it? I haven't been following CyanogenMod development. I really like having a 7" tablet, and my Nookcolor does most of what I want, but I'd really like a better bluetooth radio. Built-in GPS would be a bonus (I think).

8. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

No one knows yet, but I expect the NookDevs to be all over it as soon as it hits.

9. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

From my investigation/comparison of the specs, the following are the only improvements of the Nook Tablet over the NookColor:

- Faster processor
    - Double the internal memory
    - Slightly better battery life
    - One ounce lighter
    - Different color casing

Otherwise, it's the same "look" including identical dimensions to the NookColor. They advertise Hulu, Netflix, etc., but the NookColor already has that if your root/ROM it. I also highly suspect that the Nook Tablet is going to have the same/similar limited App Market. I also suspect that with the new processor comes a better BlueTooth radio, but have nothing to confirm that. They don't brag about a GPS or camera(s) so I seriously doubt it has those.

I've been running all four NookColors overclocked at 1.2ghz with no problems. In my opinion/use of both the four NookColors and my Acer A500 tablet, internal memory is overrated. I mean, sure you want some for apps and stuff, but most of the big stuff (movies, music collections, photos) ends up on the external MicroSD. I'm not going to notice 1 ounce difference in weight, even after holding it for a long time watching a movie or reading a book. I think the lighter weight was just a coincidence of the new processor, screen, and battery, but I don't blame them for advertising it.

I think the Nook Tablet will be perfect for someone like my wife, who will just use what it offers without trying to squeeze more out of it, but until the hackers figure out a way to root it and open things up a bit, I think it would frustrate me. Again, I think my wife will enjoy hers and it will be interesting to do a real world, side-by-side comparison when hers arrives.

10. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

The bluetooth is a question I'd want confirmed before I bought it to hack. Since it is not advertised or even turned on when it is stock, I would be concerned that Barnes and Noble would find a build without it.