Newbie Cingular Treo 650 user? READ ME FIRST

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ZBoater, Mar 4, 2005.

1. royofsf

royofsf Member

ZBoater: Thanks again for your help. Here are some responses to your questions/points:

1. Once buy and start using a Treo 650, I will stop using my T|C.
    2. I have checkpoints stretching back over about two months the reasons you mention (I've been well trained by you experts).
    3. I will start from scratch. I wanted to prove to myself that I could get the T|C RAM size down to a level that would work fine with a Treo 650. I expect that after I freshly install all the apps that were also in my T|C RAM and use the T650 for awhile, that the RAM size would be similar to that of the T|C.
    4. I do use ZLauncher and like it. Just for kicks, here's a list of most of my third-party apps:

xABFR
    xAdobe Reader for Palm OS 4/14/05
    AvantGo channels
    AvantGo.prc 2/10/05
    Avantgo-AG Connect
    BackupBuddyVSF 3.1 7/14/05-Archive
    Bible ToGo
    Card Export II 2/13/05
    Cleanup 3.27b 2/15/05
    Crashpro 22 4/18/05
    DataViewer
    DateBk5 5.4a 4/3/05
    xDateBkCat
    Docs to Go 7/14/05
    eReader 2.61 4/17/05
    FileZ 6.6 4/19/05
    IconMgr/Icons
    xJavaHQ (Pocket Poems)
    Maltin Movie Guide
    xManageXT
    Mobipocket
    xNet Chaser 1.51 2/21/05
    xPocket Poems
    PrintMe
    xSmall Talk
    SnapCalc
    SplashPhoto 1/29/05
    TrackerDog 2.11 2/17/05
    Uninstall 2.62 2/15/05
    xUnited 4.0 5/30/05
    Vindigo
    WorldMatePro 2.0 2/29/05
    Zagat
    Zlauncher 5.20 4/3/05

In all cases, I only have the minimum amount of each program on the RAM that would still allow the app to open at acceptable speed (IE, not 10+ seconds). Where possible, I've moved as many of the apps associsted with a particular program and mostly all the associated databases to my card. In a few cases, the entire app is on the card. I have 16M in RAM and 103M on my 1GB card.

Using the source that I sent to you earlier, I found that pretty much all of these were reported to work on the Treo 650 except for the ones marked with an "x" above. In fact, those were not either on the working or not-working list. They were simply untested or unreported. I can email the their creators if I really need them.

So, it looks to me that clean installs of most of these should work. I'll save the "x" marked apps until last. I would image that Adobe and United would not be problems.

Any other comments? I don't like redos so I tend to ask for a lot of advice from a range of "people who know" and am very careful. I very much like your point about regular backups after each couple of installs, a procedure that I followed a few months ago when I changed PC's.

Thanks very much for your help and patience.

2. royofsf

royofsf Member

ZBoater or others: A friend told me tonight that when he recently ungraded from his m515 (OS 4.1) to v5.2 on my T3 (5.2), that the PIM apps MUST have a "Business" and "Personal" category. I don't know if he means that in all five PIMs there must be both of these categories even if they are unpopulated with data.

Is there any such requirement when uograding from a Tungstn C (5.2.1) to Treo 650 GSM Unlocked (5.4)?

3. royofsf

royofsf Member

Someone earlier assumed that you meant renaming the C:\PALM\{HotSyncUser name}\BACKUP not the entire C:\PALM nor the entire C:\PALM\{HotSyncUser name} files. If I do the first file, I have no problem repopulating my new T650 PIMs. If I either of the two latter options, I've got to take additional steps to repopulate my T650 PIMs with my Tungsten C PIMs data.

I think the confusion came when you referred to the "old backup files" plural, not singular, or am I dead wrong. The reason that I ask this is that CESD, the creator of DateBk5, has published his upgrading guide and specificlly names the C:\PALM\{HotSyncUser name}\BACKUP file as the one to rename during the initial new hotsync fo T650. Your thoughts? Thanks.

4. royofsf

royofsf Member

I mistated. I meant to post: "Someone earlier assumed that you meant renaming the entire C:\PALM or the entire C:\PALM\{HotSyncUser name} file and not just the C:\PALM\{HotSyncUser name}\BACKUP file." I thought you meant the latter.

5. ZBoater

ZBoater Mobile Deity

I have the Business and Personal categories (Business is empty), and I let them be because I read something similar about Palm getting screwy if you deleted them. It was long ago and before the Treo, but since it doesnt bother me to have a Business category I let it be.

On the other topic, I meant the entire Palm directory. I just wanted to eliminate any possibility of moving over anything. I did an uninstall, then renamed the palm directory palm.old, and installled from scratch. It may not have been necessary to be that drastic, but I didn't feel like trying to figure out if renaming the <hotsync id> directory would be enough. I sync with Outlook, so all my PIM data in the PST file anyway.

6. tbarrett

tbarrett Mobile Enthusiast

Dear Zboater,

You saved me tons of time!!!!!
    I took your advice for a treo 650 by Sprint, ie changing past palm file and making new one, it worked. Prior to this my synchronization was "crashing" my palm and I was having a very difficult time getting it back, HARD SET and all.
    I had already spent several hours working on this when I came across your post.
    I just wanted to say thank you so much!
    :)
    This is in response to your post
    Newbie Cingulair Treo 650 user-READ ME FIRST

7. llanning

llanning Newbie

I'm not very techno savy but I was able to follow your directions and am successfully using my Treo. I only have a couple of programs loaded (BookBags and Ringo, and of course BackUp Buddy and Uninstaller) and so far everything works great. I was able to correct some mistakes I made by following your instructions. Thank you so much.

8. royofsf

royofsf Member

ZBoater: Thanks for your clarification. What is the "PST file" that you refer to? I use Palm Desktop fo syncing. I assume that doesn't matter and you'd recommend to me that I rename the entire Palm directory for resons that you explained. I did a separate post about recent problem (last day or so) that I've encountered upgrading to a Treo 650.

9. ZBoater

ZBoater Mobile Deity

The PST file is the Outlook Post Office file that contains your email, contacts, tasks, calendar, etc., IF you use Microsoft Outlook, that is. If you use the Palm Desktop, then its a bit more complicated, as all your contact data is in the Palm directory. Renaming the directory will give you a clean start, but that also means no contacts/calendar data. The good news is that by renaming the old directory, all your data is alive and well. I know there is a way to copy over those databases to your new install, but I don't know which files or how to do it, since I have never used the Palm Desktop to keep my personal data.

10. royofsf

royofsf Member

Here is the procedure that I used to upgrade from a T|C to a Treo 650. It was based primarily on plans by ZBoater in this terrific thread with a CESD (DateBk5 creator) variation thrown in plus advice I got from JRakes (Brighthand software thread), Jeffrey Kaplan and Theseus (both on the DateBk5 forum) as well as others.

I would always use and recommend the ZBoater plan except in this one instance. CESD has indicated that the entire ungrade to a Treo 650 can be done from the old BACKUP folder IF the old PDA is very similar. He felt that that was the case with my T|C. He stated and I understood that this was only a an assumption and that there was risk here that could require a redo. Had my machines been too different (a subjective call), he would not have recommended the step that I took.

So, I decided to spice things up and try his variation to see if it would work. It has the advantage of being quick and restoring all my prefs so that I would only have to enter registrtion keys. It is critical, though, that all apps uses be the latest version since the Treo 650 may, and probably does, require those.

The plan succeeded and would have been much faster had I not forgotten to install the latest DB5 version:

? Upgrading-Tungsten C to Treo 650 GSM Unlocked (Cingular)
    ?
    ?
    ? take SIM card from old phone and insert in Treo 650
    ? charge new device fully and do a hard reset just to make sure nothing is on Treo
    ? test phone: call out, call in, setup & check voicemail
    ? copy entire Palm folder onto desktop as protection
    ? make sure that all 4 PIMs on my old T|C have the following two categories: Personal and Business; if they aren't there, add them (this ridiculous requirement was caused by some Palm programmer on his first and, perhaps, last project)
    ? hotsync T|C
    ? replace old cradle with new cradle
    ? uninstall old Palm Desktop
    ? install new Palm Desktop
    ? rename C:\PALM\ my hotsync user name\BACKUP (hereto forth referred to as OLD BACKUP)
    ? hotsync new device; use same user name that I've been using with T|C when asked
    ? can always go to new user name but that entails new registration codes with all 3rd party software
    ? during process, select application for hotsync (Palm Desktop or Outlook)
    ? should now have 4 PIMs loaded in
    ? update Treo 650 ROM now (if needed) since update needs about 16MB+ free RAM
    ? test phone, create new contact, dial from contact, create new PIM entries, change PIM categories-TEST everything
    ? if PIM is corrupt, use DateBk5 dbScan to check for problems (dbScan will help correct them)
    ? if OK, backup
    ? do not configure or use Versamail yet
    ? make list or spreadsheet of all apps destined for RAM and number them, from low risk to higher risk; the way I did this procedure, it is preferable to have all the newest versions already installed on the old T|C; check these off as process proceeds
    ? use software's webpages, emails and Palm Focus Treo 650 Software Compatibility List to determine each apps compatibility with Treo 650
    ? install everything from OLD BACKUP file since T|C and Treo 650 are reasonably closely related; pros-if this works, won't have to input any prefs; cons-if this doesn't work, will get crashes and/or oddball behavior and will have to delete the latest app(s) and install fresh version from original zipped file saved in DOWNLOADS folder on desktop or possibly do a hard reset and all fresh installs (preview-it did work and saved me the pages of prefs inputting that apps like DB5 & ZLauncher require; if this hadn't have worked, prefs can be added reasonably quickly by taking them from old PDA and transferring them to new one in side-by-side operation)
    ? the reason that I risked this was that CESD of DB5 stated that this is the procedure that he would use (see Pimlico Yahoo DateBk5 thread and following messages: "Upgrading to Treo", message# 50486 and, more recently, "Treo 650--Turns on by itself", message# 54094)
    ? this process assumes that I know which files to reinstall from OLD BACKUP file for each app; not all apps share the same Creator ID; some, like DocsToGo, used many creator ID's and strange names that have no relationship with the app; one way to do this is to use FileZ or ZLauncher's file manager (which has a better way than FileZ, in my opinion) to quickly identiy all files that share the Same Creator ID; the only way that I know of to also know which oddball files go with which app is from watching what was initially installed; I would imagine that a study of the Uninstall tool's apps and associated files would work if you had that instlled when your old machine was new; about 70% of my apps share the same Creator ID with their associated files; if I did'nt know all the associated files for the other 30%, then this procedure would not be the correct one
    ? install DateBk5 1st (NEWEST VERSION) since this app is my my key app and I must know if this is going to be working properly, do checkpoint backups & test everything; I installed old version by accident and had problems that only cleared up when I reinstalled newest version over-the-top of older version
    ? install Uninstall manager 2nd (tracks each app and associated files & protects Treo if use "sandbox" isolation until I know that no problems are occurring); some may prefer to install this 1st
    ? backup with BackupBuddy2 (backs up to PC) & BBVFSNewPro 3.1 (backs up to card) ("checkpoints" is name for separate, distinct backups that will NOT be replaced by next backup; BB2 does this automatically; BBVFS must be instructed to this after each backup where this is desired) after every install in case one if corrupt (if one wants to be extra careful; otherwise could do backups after every two or three installs); REMEMBER, hotsyncing is not backing up
    ? if in doubt about app, test it by doing soft reset (if it's incompatible, it probably will not initialize); if so, do warm reset and delete file
    ? do DocsToGo & remainder of apps plus checkpoint backup & testing
    ? if reset or other problem, can also use CrashPro & ResetEmu to find and help eliminate problem app
    ? watch carefully to make sure that I leave a MINIMUM of 2-3MB free in RAM (more is even better)
    ? MEMORY CARD: once I get things syncing correctly, use the ZL card category to navigate to each app on the card that I'd moved w/ ZL and created a shortcut. Launch that app to see if it is going to be a problem. If so, delete the app w/ ZL and reinstall it from scratch. Then move it back to the card w/ ZL
    ? re-enter software registration codes
    ? reconfigure software apps as needed (was not needed)
    ? open good bottle of red wine

I am not recommending this to others. The purpose of this posting was just to memoriliaze what I did in case anyone is interested. ZBoater clearly states that the procedure that he puts forth is conservative, careful, reasonably foolproof and, therefore, most likely to work in the greatst number of circumstances.

I had the time and wanted to have a little fun, knowing that his method would be the fallback. Thanks for all your help.