Newbie Cingular Treo 650 user? READ ME FIRST

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ZBoater, Mar 4, 2005.

1. ZBoater

ZBoater Mobile Deity

Well, essentially I moved everything I could to the SD card, and deleted everything I could from memory. Some applications create temp files (like Chatter) and for a variety of reasons they linger. Each app is different, and the filenames are different, so you have to research each file (I use Cleanup from Northglide) to see who it belongs to and whether you can delete it or not.

The call database log keeps track of incoming and outgoing calls. After a while it can grow, so I just purge it for everthing but the last few days. There is an option to do that in the log.

I also do not keep emails on my Treo. All my email accounts are downloaded onto my PC and a copy left on the server, so when I download with my Treo I can read them and delete them knowing a copy is on my PC. A large email inbox can consume a lot of space.

9.6MB is a lot, almost 50%, so unless there are more apps you want to load, you should be OK. If you start to run out of memory and have moved everything you can to the SD card, its time to start reducing the number of apps. 24MB can only go so far.

2. mviana

mviana Mobile Enthusiast

Zboater...thanks for all the helpful info. I unfortunately did not know about your tips when I purchased my T650. I have a had it and been using it for a few months now. I want to know is it too late to take your advice? Can I wipe it and start from scratch? The only 2 3 party apps that I use are Snappermail and FileZ(If you have any info on these 2 apps, that would be appreciated :)). Also I have a 512MB card. Is that enough or should I get the the 1G like you have? The problem that I'm having is I have a couple of SMS messages that I am trying to delete and everytime I try and delete them the T650 resets itself. It's startign to be very frustrating. Last thing, if i do start from scratch with this and follow your steps, can i use my Bluetooth headset right away or do i have to wait the 2 or 3 days and use the phone as a phone? What about receiving text messages? Any help or direction that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

3. ZBoater

ZBoater Mobile Deity

Hi mviana,

Let me see if I can answer some of your questions...

I want to know is it too late to take your advice? Can I wipe it and start from scratch? The only 2 3 party apps that I use are Snappermail and FileZ(If you have any info on these 2 apps, that would be appreciated :)).

It is never to late to start from scratch. Snappermail and Filez appear to be very stable apps, but I would recommend a clean install and backup in case you need to go back to a "clean state" in the future, you can do so with all your favorite apps installed.

Also I have a 512MB card. Is that enough or should I get the the 1G like you have?

512MB is a lot of space. It depends on what you will use the space for. I have about 300MB of MP3s, and still have 500MB free. If you plan on carrying a large music collection, then the bigger the better. Other than that (for normal apps and application files), 512MB is plenty big, and even for a couple hundred megs of MP3s too.

The problem that I'm having is I have a couple of SMS messages that I am trying to delete and everytime I try and delete them the T650 resets itself. It's startign to be very frustrating.

That sounds like a corrupts SMS database. You can try manually deleting the SMS Messages file to see if that helps. That will erase ALL your messages though....

Last thing, if i do start from scratch with this and follow your steps, can i use my Bluetooth headset right away or do i have to wait the 2 or 3 days and use the phone as a phone?

Sure, you can use the Bluetooth headset right away. The Bluetooth software is already preloaded on your Treo. If you experience problems while using your phone "clean", you may want to try without Bluetooth, but you should be fine.

What about receiving text messages?

That should be fine too. Using the phone and its basic functions (browsing the web, email, SMS, etc.) should be fine. What you want to avoid is loading any software just to make sure you rule out any 3rd party software as a cause of problems for you. If you experience problems using your basic phone functions without having loaded any software, you at least have ruled out the add-on software as a cause. You would then need to consider possible hardware problems, such as a bad SIM card or a bad phone.

Good luck!

4. parlayguy

parlayguy Mobile Consultant

Turns out now that I've followed all of your good advice, I'm going to load Good Link technology since my company suports that for wireless syncing of my email and PIM information.

However, they say that I need to uninstall hotsync because I've loaded it to specify syncing my PIM through the Microsoft outlook (rather than specifying "another PIM". I'm not sure if there are other reasons they want me to reinstall it.

My question Zboater is given that I've installed and used BackupBuddy, Uninstaller, and other applications... will reinstalling Hotsync manager affect any of that stuff such that I should start with a really clean Treo 650?

Bob

5. ZBoater

ZBoater Mobile Deity

I'm not sure how to reinstall Hotsync Manager. I know you can change syncing from Outlook to Palm Desktop (and vice versa) with the Treo CD - there is an option in one of the menus to change that. The only way I would know how to reinstall hotsync manager is to reinstall the Palm Desktop, and that is rather extreme.

I dont think that whatever you do will affect your Treo. If your Treo is already loaded with the apps you want, every time you hotsync everything is being backed up to your backup folder on your PC, and reinstalling the Palm Desktop (or hotsync manager) shouldn't affect your installed apps -- check that, if any apps have conduits (like DocsToGo, mVoice, eWallet, etc.), then you will need to reinstall those apps on the PC to get the conduits reinstalled. Reinstalling an app on a PC usually reinstalls the Treo prc file also, but that shouldn't be a problem.

6. jah1952

jah1952 Newbie

Thanks for all the information. After reading it, I realize that this PDA is far too technical for me. While I'm sure all of these are solutions, I would expect that for about $400 Palm could give me a product that works when I follow their instructions. If I calculate my hours (which I bill out at about $100 per hour) the phone cost me almost $2000.

Sigh. It's too bad. There were lots of features I really liked, but in the end, it was the incompetence of technical support at Cingular and at Palm that did me in.

I may keep the Treo to continue using it as a stand alone PDA, but I certainly have "fired" cingular as my wireless company.

7. royofsf

royofsf Member

Thank you ZBoater. If needed, I assume that I would install the Treo 650 Updater 1.13 at the beginning of step 3 since it changes the memory capabilities. Is that correct?

8. ZBoater

ZBoater Mobile Deity

You can install 1.13 at any point. The trick is to use the phone clean after installing 1.13 to make sure it works as a phone FIRST, and then load the other stuff.

9. royofsf

royofsf Member

ZBoater, I have a few questions:

1. You mention DocsToGo in steps 5 & 7. As I understand it, you recommend in step 5 that I should install the "update to DocsToGo" after the PIMs and some subsequent phone testing. Do you mean the version that comes on the disc with the Treo 650?

I already have DTG7.006 (945) on my Tungsten C. Does that change anything?

2. I use the same backup tools that you do: BB2 & BBVFS Pro 3.1. I've read elsewhere about some concerns using these with the Treo 650. You must not have had any problems with either or you wouldn't have included them in step 6. Correct?

3. I've pared down my Tungsten C RAM to 16M in preparation for the switch. I also have about 103M on my SanDisk 1G Extreme III card. Is there a maximum RAM amount not to exceed to keep the Treo 650 from having instability problems?

4. Are their any particular apps that may cause trouble other than what's pointed out here http://www.palmfocus.com/treo650software.php.

I have posted elsewhere (IE, on the DateBk5 forum in case there are any particular concerns that they have). Thanks again for your terrific posting!

10. ZBoater

ZBoater Mobile Deity

No, the version on the disc is already old. 7.006 is the latest version available from the DocsToGo site. Are you running the Tungsten C and the Treo on the same PC? I don't know exactly how that would work.

That is correct. They both have worked fine for me ever since the first release candidate for BBVFS 3.1 was released. The important thing is to do ocassional checkpoint backups - a backup of the backup, so to speak. If you always use the same backup (never do checkpoints), then you run the risk of not being able to go back further back than your last backup, and if something is wrong with that backup for whatever reason, you are toast.

I have read that the Treo doesnt like going below 2MB, but I haven't been able to confirm that. However, from your question, it seems like you are thinking of "migrating" your Tungsten C stuff to your Treo. I would advise against that. If I were you (and I was - upgrading from a T5), I would start from scratch. You need to use the version of Palm Desktop that comes with the Treo, and there is no telling what files are getting backed up from your Tungsten that when restored to your Treo will screw it up.

Make a list of all the apps, get the latest versions, put them all in a directory, and install them one by one from scratch. My $.02.

I don't particularly care for launchers. I just read too many posts about something going wrong with them. If you do use a Launcher, make sure you have a good backup WITHOUT a launcher, just in case. Also, stay away from apps that are not specifically designed for the 650. That is where Uninstall Manager and BackupBuddy will come in handy if, like I do, you don't follow my advice. :D I love to play with all sorts of new little apps, hacks and betas. I do so at my own risk, and if my Treo implodes I have no one to blame but myself. BBVFS has saved my skin too many times to count, so be diligent about doing backups and cleanly uninstalling stuff you no longer need or want.

Good luck!