New ZL beta with DBcache app!

Discussion in 'Applications/Utilities (Palm OS)' started by minimalposter, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minimalposter

minimalposter some call me ... mp

ZZtechs released a new beta of ZL (found at the very bottom of the page here). Also included is a dbcache plugin. So far it works great! Its a wonderful little free app. I have mine set to empty cache at 6 MB and my Treo seems zippier :)

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Gracias! New toys to play with!

3. dump71

dump71 Looking for the door...

What am I doing wrong? Using the correct link for 5.45b1, I unzipped and copy zlauncher.prc and zlplugindbcache.prc to my SD card. Then, using ZL file manager, I copied the files to RAM. During this process, I get the following error, "Database: already open (Dm 0205)". When I check the M. Date for ZL, it shows 6/13/07 (v5.44)---clearly did not copy the new version. As for the new plugin, it appears in RAM with the correct M. Date, 11/9/07---so it did copy the new plugin. I tried two times and got the same results. I don't understand why 5.45b1 won't copy over my 5.44

Interestingly, the new plugin works with 5.44...sort of. It will display dbcache info in my plugin panel and will display/adjust preferences. It won't "clear now" when tapped however. I haven't tried the auto clear function yet.

Thanks for any help!

4. dmccunney

dmccunney Mobile Deity

Were you in ZLauncher when you did this? If so, exit to the default launcher and try again.

PalmOS is like any other OS I've seen: it won't let you overwrite a file that's in use. IF ZL is your active launcher, do you really expect to be able to overwrite it while it's running?
    ______
    Dennis

5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Since I'm not too savvy regarding the whole cache management issue, would this be something that my TX would benefit from and if so, would it spare me the voluntary soft-reset that I have to do sometimes in order to get Blazer to open more quickly & some Astraware games to run? :confused:

EDIT: I see from the documentation at ZZTech site that they think TX would benefit. :)

6. wozofoz

wozofoz Time Traveller

@ dump71:
    I have found the easiest way to install apps from the card is by using the very helpful app MyInstall by the clever Alex Pruss.
    MyInstall simulates a HotSync and I never have a problem with updates or installing anything :)

Install MyInstall to the Palm then create a MyInstall (exactly that) directory in the Root Directory of the card.
    The Root Directory is the first (base) directory and contains the DCIM and PALM directories and maybe some others, depending on your apps installed.

Move or Copy any Palm files you wish to install on your device to the MyInstall directory.
    Launch the MyInstall app.
    MyInstall will scan it's card directory and install any Palm files it finds. Done :D

@ lelisa13p:
    I guess the ZL DBCache Plug In is their way of doing what Alex Pruss's OffFlush does so it should do what you want.

Having said that, I admit to still being confused about this DBCache flushing thingie.
    I think this mainly because I don't have a problem with it so I don't see the benefits of flushing during the day that others do.
    I don't know why my DBCache always seems adequate eg: 5 secs max to launch Blazer, and if I did I would share the info, honest :D

But maybe this has something to do with it:
    If my memory serves me well, you have BackUpMan and I guess v2.3
    I have BackUpMan set as my last backup (5am) after NVBackup (4am) and have 'Ticked'
    Menu>Tools>Advanced> 'Clear DBCache After Backup'
    I start the day with a cleared DBCache and don't usually have any problems all day.

All the best, woz of oz

7. dmccunney

dmccunney Mobile Deity

The original poster was apparently trying to update a running ZL installation. No suprise that failed.

Have you been successfully able to update active software with MyInstall? (I have it installed here but seldom use it. I find it just as simple to copy the PRCs to a directory on a card and use FileZ of the like to copy them to RAM.)
    ______
    Dennis

8. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Moved to Applications/Utilities (Palm OS)

Piece of warning for other non-power-users:

This is BETA material !! Use at your own risk ;)

Nowadays it is the ONLY way of installing for me:
    CardReader, copy to /MyInstall, hit Home, MyInstall, Presto :D

Haven't tried yet with this new beta but I seem to recall there were one or two apps not playing nice on my setup in combination with MyInstall.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. minimalposter

minimalposter some call me ... mp

This is a beta -- but ZZtechs have never let me down. I have tried almost all of their betas and I have never had a problem :) Remember when ZL wouldn't work with the TX when it was released ZZtechs released a beta within about two months. Such a long time to be without ZL but the beta was stable once it was released.

@dump71, did you get this working? I always have ZL running and it updated fine on a hotsync. In fact it was my first hotsync in over a month :)

The dbcache app is working great so far. This really is a free app that ZZtech didn't need to put in their launcher. Its a very nice surprise and should help all of the NVFS devices!

10. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

I remember a 5.43beta which did not play so nice on my 680 early this year :rolleyes:
    Then again they were VERY responsive to correct the issue :newpalm:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.