New Windows 10 update is 'breaking' PCs — what to do now

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by RickAgresta, Apr 7, 2020.

1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

And the Hits just keep on coming...

2. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

I'll keep my Windows 10 Pro from ever updating... by never letting it have an internet connection. I dual-boot with Linux Mint 18.3 MATE but haven't actually booted into Windows in a couple of years.

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

So, I had to go digging for reasons why my system that is perpetually stuck on 1607 hasn't seen the Edge update. Microsoft has tossed it to the side. While this system is supported until 2023 on this OS, the Edge update is only available for 1803 and newer. What a cluster. Now, I can easily download the new Edge, and wheee... have fun. But the fact that I'm sitting on a browser that is locked on an obsolete build is quite troubling. Yet another reason apps suck. They're the bane of enterprise administration, and a failure in transparency. It's no wonder the MS appstore is not faring well.

Get your head out of your *cough*, Microsoft. That's pretty inept.

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Thanks HC. I just had the massive update, but I guess it didn't change.

I found one thing that the update might have affected. A day or so after the update, I went to listen to a YouTube video and the sound was all garbled. I Googled and found how to fix it by changing the driver to the internal one. This might be specific to Dells though, as that's the first site that came up when I Googled something like 'sound through laptop speakers is crackly.'

scjjtt, headcronie and lelisa13p like this.
  5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Because my laptop is a Dell, I went to check the YouTube garble and am happy to report that I'm not afflicted. YAY! :vbgrin:

6. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

The saga (or more properly, the drama ;) ) continues:

Something is still very wonky on my Dell 5570 laptop. And it seems to be the Radeon 530 GPU, or more properly, the interaction between its driver/software and the latest versions of Windows 10. Radeon has a very nice software that allows the user to customize games from within its UI. This software is called "Adrenalin" and is always shown on the taskbar with all the other icons. Except that on my laptop it disappeared one day last week and refused to appear again. At the same time, my mouse cursor would show the round "wait" icon next to it, even if the laptop was idle. This icon would flash on/off, as if doing some short task over and over again. This was very annoying, as that icon wouldn't let me concentrate on whatever task I was doing. And at the same time, the laptop would start heating a lot, even when idle. At night I sometimes leave my laptop on so it can sync with my NAS back home, and a couple of times I woke up in the wee hours because of the fan noise. I started troubleshooting the Adrenalin software. Un- and re-install, load defaults, rollback several versions, etc., and the behavior would be the same. The Adrenalin icon would show for a couple of seconds on the taskbar, then it would disappear, and the "wait" icon would start blinking. I tried to launch the Adrenalin software from Windows Menu, it would never appear. Task Manager showed several AMD-related apps, but not the Adrenalin software. The laptop would soon get hot again. My 3D apps and games do work properly, but the laptop would get really hot and then the GPU would throttle down, and on shooter games the FPS would drop to below 15. This makes Doom (the 2016 version) very much un-enjoyable, as all monsters will move like slow zombies :D

Today I found a solution: install the GPU drivers but not the Adrenalin software. Was tricky, because on AMD's support site the drivers are bundled with the Adrenalin software and the installer doesn't offer the option to install just the barebones drivers. Fortunately, I remembered that AMD unpacks the installer to a folder in the root drive, so I went to C:/AMD and in there I found the folders for the three drivers I've been testing on this laptop. So I uninstalled the Adrenalin software once again, then uninstalled the Radeon GPU from the Device Manager (selecting the option to delete the drivers), rebooted, then went to the Device Manager again, and manually installed the drivers from the folder on my hard disk (on c:/AMD/<driver name or version>/Packages/Drivers/Display/WT6A_INF. Another reboot (if I had a penny for every reboot in the last month... ;) ) and now everything seems to be fine. Laptop doesn't overheat, fan is almost silent, the "wait" icon is nowhere to be seen, Task Manager reports resource usage normal, and my programs still work ok with both the Intel built-in and the Radeon discrete GPU. I still haven't tested my games because I'm at work, but tonight I'll see if the monsters in Doom are behaving properly again.

I'm not sure this is a definitive solution. I'm missing some customization by not installing the Adrenalin software, but the GPU seems normal. I insist: it shouldn't be this hard.

I wonder what the next issue will be. Oh wait, I already had another: the new Edge browser simply won't stay away. I uninstalled it, then a couple of days later I got a notification from Windows Update that a reboot was required to install updates, did so, then was greeted by the new Edge again, with its icon placed right on my desktop. Yay! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    scjjtt, EdmundDantes, Hook and 4 others like this.
  7. EdmundDantes

Raspy, for my future reference (since that procedure you describe might be helpful in the future), if you uninstall the GPU from the device manager including deleting the drivers, it will still keep the unpacked folders in the root drive? Or is that because you'd used the installer separately to do that? Also, is it fairly obvious how to manually install the drivers from the device manager? That might be similar to the procedure I used to use a different driver when I had the sound problem I mentioned above. Thanks.

HC, I just thought I'd mention that although Edge did not update with the big update, about 10 days later (oddly on a Friday or Saturday), I got another update that installed the upgraded Edge with the multi-shade icon you describe. On startup, it also tried to force me to transfer all my stuff from Firefox to Edge, but I avoided that.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and headcronie like this.
  8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yes, the unpacked folders are left untouched when deleting the device and drivers from the Device Manager. The unpacked installer folder contains several files, programs, and usually drivers for several Windows versions or even for different device models. When a driver is installed from these folders, Windows copies the files to its own sytem folders. These are the ones that are deleted by the Device Manager when the corresponding option is selected while uninstalling a device.

Not sure if it's obvious, because I've been doing this for so many years that the procedure is very familiar to me. But in essence, you go to the Device Manager, look for the device you want to install a driver to, right-click on it, select "Properties", when the properties window opens go to the "Driver" tab, click on "Update driver", then a small window will pop up asking you to either search automatically for driver (which means search online for drivers in Microsoft's databases) or browse your computer for drivers. Here you select to browse the computer, then you'll be presented with a "Browse" button to navigate to the folder where the driver is. Usually drivers are in folders contaning "INF" in their names, because the file used by Windows to identify a driver has a .inf extension. These are really text files, you can right-click on them and read with Notepad. They contain data about the compatible hardware and the names and locations of all the files that make up the driver.

9. EdmundDantes

Thank you so much, Raspy. Very helpful.

headcronie likes this.