New Windows 10 update is 'breaking' PCs — what to do now

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by RickAgresta, Apr 7, 2020.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

The Windows 10 KB4541335 update is causing major problems for users, including some blue screens of death

It seems like every other day there’s a Windows 10 update disaster, and this is one of those days. Users who applied the Windows 10 KB4541335 updates are reporting all sorts of issues — including some bricked PCs.

According to Windows Latest, there are multiple reports on Microsoft’s forums, Feedback Hub and the site’s own comment section relating to this Windows 10 update.

So what are the issues? Some have said the update broke their computers, others are seeing Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) and many others are experiencing performance issues.

One user said that his “machine bricked all night” and that he had to unplug his PC and roll back the update. He then uninstalled the update and paused updates for a month in Settings.

Other users complained of a wide range of issues that seem to be caused by the Windows 10 KB4541335 update. These include Ethernet problems, some apps failing to connect to the internet and system crashes.

What to do if you're affected
    So what do you do? If you are one of those affected, its recommended that you uninstall the latest Windows 10 update. You do this by going into Update & Security under the Settings Menu and selecting the Windows Update tab. From there, you can view your update history and click Uninstall updates.

If none of that works, Windows Latest says you may need to completely reset your PC under Settings > Update & Security > Recovery.

This same Windows 10 update was reportedly triggering blue screens of death for users five days ago, and at the time our advice was simply to not install it. Unfortunately, the issues are now more widespread.

Link:
    https://www.tomsguide.com/news/windows-10-update-is-bricking-pcs-uninstall-this-right-now

raspabalsa, lelisa13p, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

This update was installed 5 days ago on my Thinkpad with no problems. It's waiting to install on my desktop as an optional update (it was on my Thinkpad too). I may hold off on the desktop.

These things come up every so often and I have never been affected by what people are complaining about. Which is puzzling. Just lucky, I guess. The desktop is Win 10 home and the laptop is Win 10 Pro.

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I just checked and its listed as an optional update...unfortunately in W10 I don't know how to remove optional updates, as I could in Win 7

4. Hook

It's an optional update, so it shouldn't download or install unless you request it. Some of what I've seen on the net indicates that most of the problems are occurring when gaming (I.e., very high CPU pull). Still needs to be fixed, but explains why I never seem to run into these issues. :vbgrin:

5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Going to check my laptop now. I had a hunch that Windows 10 had changed something when my previously functional printer suddenly failed to print last nite (my grocery list for Covid-19 shopping this morning) and I used troubleshooters to discover, to my surprise, that there were no longer any drivers installed. :vbeek: Wasted 2 hours last nite trying to get it back up and running but everything failed. Gave up and went to bed; it was too late to attempt getting up at 6 AM to shop. I'm going tomorrow (Wed) morning instead.

This evening I uninstalled the printer and all of the accompanying software, rebooted laptop and started over from scratch with printer installation. Printing function has returned. There was no reason for such a stupid situation to occur in the first place. :vbmad:

UPDATE: What I see when I check the Windows Update tab is this:

-------------------
    I paused all Updates because I don't see that one (KB4541335) anywhere.

So I guess I'm good until at least May 12th. Incidentally, my last Update was on 03/21, which makes sense. I didn't need to print anything during the month of March and I'm just glad that the printer problem didn't manifest when I was printing something necessary, as is usually the case. Murphy's Law. :vbrolleyes:

Hook, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I haven't gotten the update, yet. I paused updates until 5/12/20 because I'm too tired to think. (Yes, that's my excuse for not being able think -- too tired. I have other excuses, but I'll use those later).

scjjtt, raspabalsa, Hook and 2 others like this.
  7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I installed the update on my laptop a couple of days ago, no problems so far. Actually, I haven't had problem with any update on my laptops after upgrading to Windows 10.

I think this may be afflicting my son's desktop computer. He does game a lot, and his computer is old (almost 10 years since I built it). The computer is crashing frequently, mostly when he plays Minecraft. I told him to hold off gaming until I can figure what's wrong with the computer. I'll try to diagnose via Teamviewer later today, but I think it's time to get him a new computer. Yay! :(

scjjtt, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Geez, I just had to get a new laptop and it must have had that update. So far it's working, but boy do I hate Windows. I really wish Apple sold what I think of as a 'regular' laptop: decent sized screen, no uber-expensive Retina display, for which I have no need, no touchbar or whatever that's called, and the other built-in features I like like a regular hard drive, USB slots, etc. I actually considered spending a grand on an old 17-inch MacBook from 2011, but just couldn't do it. Too old.

My last laptop lasted almost exactly 3 years and in the last couple of months BSODed several times a day (although there would be brief stable periods just to lull me into thinking it was okay).

As I mentioned previously, I thought I'd stopped updates on the last laptop, but it still updated anyway. Haven't tried to stop them on this one.

scjjtt likes this.
  9. Hook

So, as I said, I had already installed the update without incident on my 6 month old laptop before I saw these warnings. I decided to go ahead and install it on my desktop and, again, no problems. Didn't even turn off my audio which several updates hav done in the past. :vbrolleyes:

Unfortunately, it's not very diagnostic, you probably can't predict your success from my success-- unless the high CPU pull theory is true. That would definitely mean I wouldn't see the problem. :vbwink:

But, for whatever reason, this update presents no problem for me. So far.

10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I don't have it and still dropped a driver. I blame Windows 10 (for a lot of stuff :vbgrin: ). I'm still holding a grudge over losing Win XP and Win 7. :vbtongue: