New user seeking help and info on mobile phone

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Confuzzled367, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Confuzzled367

Confuzzled367 Mobile Enthusiast

Update: So, my phone arrived! Yaaay! A great piece of technology to be sure :) It works great, runs smooth, had no problems with it whatsoever. Came with the latest android version installed as well, so didn't need to upgrade anything manually. It covers all networks including G4 of course.

There is only one problem I am facing at the moment with the phone. It lost the G4 signal after I downloaded the latest MIUI 8 Global Stable ROM and installed it. It's the official version of the ROM so I didn't flash the phone or anything. Went to the MI forums straight away and asked, and someone told me the Indonesian government disabled G4 for my particular device because of some rule or law regarding local content.

Now I am unable to get the G4 signal, and have to deal with the issue manually. This happened after installing the MIUI 8 Global Stable ROM. However, the funny thing is that I had the G4 network available all the time while my phone had the MUI 7 version of the global ROM. It was basically gone with the MIUI 8 version xD It's not a problem with the phone however - the phone works great, but it seems I will have to ask for permission to unlock bootloader, and then follow a process to get access to G4 again. Or so I was told.

All in all, I'm satisfied with the phone itself, no issues there :) I just guess the Indonesian government needs to stop messing around with my phone! xD

scjjtt and Mi An like this.
  2. Confuzzled367

Final (hopefully) update: Disregard everything I said about the loss of the G4 network after updating to the latest global stable ROM. It appears that the newest update simply chooses the 3G network on its own and sets it as the primary network, and then you have to search for available networks and choose one you prefer. I searched for additional networks on my phone, and there it was, G4 :) Simply selected the G4 network in settings, and voila. G4 seems to be working no problem :)

And yes, disregard the stuff about the Indonesian government as well. Some guy on the MI forums said so, and I was skeptic from the start, though I didn't know what to think of it.

All in all, so far I can only say I love the phone, and it's perfect! :) No problems whatsoever.

I just hope that poking around the phone options and settings didn't do any damage to the phone's system etc.

I took out the Sim card several times in order to try and get the G4 network to work, and I turned off the phone and rebooted it (I think). Can anyone confirm that this won't do any damage to the system guys? I'd hate that just now that I barely got the phone.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    scjjtt, raspabalsa, Hook and 2 others like this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Rebooting the phone won't do any harm, and poking aroung options and settings could break some functionality, but nothing that can't be fixed by reconfiguring settings or, at most, doing a factory reset, which will delete your apps and data, and will restore the phone as it was right out of the box.

You could do some damage to the system if you poke deeper, such as unlocking the bootloader, installing root-only stuff such as Xposed, and flashing custom, unstable ROMs. Some of this stuff could brick you phone, sometimes irreparably. It's advisable to research procedures to do and undo flashing, unlocking bootloader, etc., before attempting to do it.

scjjtt, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  4. Confuzzled367

Thanks for the reply :) I thought as much, I just reset the phone once to reset settings and that was it. Works great. I'm not thinking about unlocking bootloader yet, but I do know that most phones have a good amount of bloatware and I'd like to get rid of it at some point. I know I have to unlock bootloader in order to get rid of bloatware, but I'm not really sure about that yet. Been reading a lot about it, but that's a topic for another time :)

5. raspabalsa

Actually, you don't absolutel need to unlock bootloader to get rid of bloatware. Lots of built-in apps can be disabled without needing root, unlocking, etc. Go to Settings -> Apps, look for the app you want to get rid of, tap on its name, and you'll be presented with some info, including how much storage and data it consumes, permissions, etc. There you'll see a button labeled "Disable". Once you tap it you'll receive a warning that if you disable a built-in app some other apps may misbehave. If you tap Ok, you may get another notification to delete the app and replace it with the original one (if the app was uptaded). Once you disable an app, it won't appear in the app drawer, it won't consume user storage, RAM, data, it won't do anything other than sit on ROM hidden and quiet. This is a very good way to get rid of manufacturer and carrier bloatware.

6. Confuzzled367

Thanks for the update on that issue man :) I tried disabling one app by tapping "Force Stop" because the "Disable" option cannot be chosen for many of these apps despite the fact that it's listed as one of the options. And after that I found out I couldn't get it to work again. There's no option to enable it again once I tapped "Force Stop". Now, this isn't really a huge issue because I did inform myself on what apps I can disable without doing any damage to my system and this app was basically useless and didn't really do anything, hence why I decided to mess around with it - so far so good haha xD However, I take it that this is the case generally only with bloatware, while the actually useful apps can probably be disabled and enabled as I wish? If I "Force Stop" a useful app, that could spell trouble.

7. raspabalsa

I think the ability to enable or disable an app depends on two things: the app must be built-in, that is, present in the phone right out of the box, and the manufacturer and carrier must not have denied the ability to disable that app. Example, on my V10 I can disable almost every app, including gmail, chrome, and other google apps, but I can't disable LG Backup, SIM Toolkit, Settings, and other apps that must be essential for the phone to function properly. That said, the V10 had surprisingly ver little in the way of bloatware, so I jus had to disable 2 or 3 apps.

scjjtt likes this.
  8. Confuzzled367

I think my Xiaomi doesn't have all that much in terms of bloatware either, it came with Google apps installed (which is normal from what I understand), plus some Xiaomi apps that are not exactly bloatware but rather part of the essential tool kit for smartphones (like calculator, browser, clock, weather forecast, updater, recorder, compass, scanner, music app, radio and such). My Xiaomi came with the Android Marshmallow upgrade and I also have the latest Stable Global ROM installed. The only bloatware I see is basically in Settings - Installed Apps directory. In this directory there are apps such as the one I mentioned above that can't be disabled but rather must be "force stopped". Most of these apps are very small in size, basically insignificant, although I have no idea how much battery life they take, though it doesn't seem to be much. Then again, I have nothing to compare it to, so yeah xD

I found no bloatware on the main screen, the main screen contains google apps, play store, and the above mentioned Xiaomi tools (calculator, radio, compass etc). That's about it, unless you wanna tell me that the Xiaomi apps I already mentioned twice are bloatware?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017