New user seeking help and info on mobile phone

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Confuzzled367, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Confuzzled367

Confuzzled367 Mobile Enthusiast

I actually agree with getting the last year's flagship phone, that's a good idea. I know that CPU numbers mean little and that benchmarks don't showcase the real potential and performance of a smartphone. But then again, knowing this only makes it harder for me to choose, if you know what I mean. Running real-world tasks is definitely the best way to see ho well a phone performs, but we both know there's a catch to that: you have to get it first haha xD Hence my dilemma! Thanks for the reply, I have to say I find this forum very friendly, not to mention useful in terms of information. Pretty much every reply gives me some insight on what to look for.

Once I decide what to get, I'll be sharing it with you guys, and tell you my first impressions at least. Thanks everyone!

scjjtt likes this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Not really... I do try to get hands-on experience before buying my gadgets. Often, when I've decided to buy one, I go to a brick-and-mortar store and start playing with the available models. Usually I have 2,3, maybe 4 candidates in mind. I check specs online, then try the phone (or whatever gadget I'm getting) for size, and if possible install a few apps to test. More often than not this process involves me sitting on the floor as I tinker with the devices, while a store attendant hovers nearby. Every 15 minutes or so I look up at him and repeat "I warned you this would take long". Some real-life examples: I tested several BT headsets for more than 2 hours at the Sony store until I decided to get the MDR-1RBT model, I played with 3 laptops for about an hour until I decided to get an Asus N56JR model (but that was so short because I had done some research, and the only unknowns were keyboard feel and overall build). For my Sony Xperia Z1 and LG V10 phones I took about one and a half hour each. Playing with gadgets is one of my hobbies, so I don't count any of that time as wasted. :)

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Mi An like this.
  3. Confuzzled367

Hahaha you're quite a customer aren't you xD I think I would feel very uncomfortable doing what you do, but then again it's your hobby so that's understandable. Certainly a good way to see if you like the gadget or not. I'd feel uncomfortable doing that for 45 minutes, so I doubt I'll go for that option, but I see your point :p However, I will definitely try out a gadget if I can to see if it works properly at first glance. And I can always exchange it for a new device as long as I have the receipt, so no problem there.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  4. Confuzzled367

Update: Alright, so right now it's a toss up between the Xiaomi Redmi note 3 Pro 3GB/32GB ROM (255 USD), the Xiaomi Mi Max 3GB Ram/32GB ROM (280 USD) with its large 6.4 inch screen aaand last but not least I managed to find a used Oneplus 2 that's 6 months old but in great condition with 4GB RAM/62GB ROM being sold by someone in my city for 255 USD.

The Redmi note 3 pro seems to have it all, as long as I update it to the latest Android and the latest OS version. The Mi Max has me worried when it comes to screen size but it has an amazing battery and everything else seems in place. The only thing that has me worried with both of the Xiaomi smartphones is the fact they are mostly made for the Chinese market and I'm wondering if there's gonna be any compatibility issues (of any kind) with these phones if I live in Europe. I'm not talking about any specific compatibility issues, just in general. I also know I have to get the Global ROM if I want it to be completely in English (which I would like). It will take some updating to have the Xiaomi smartphones personalized the way I'd prefer it, so perhaps these are some of the nitpicks with these two.

As far as the Oneplus 2 is concerned, it seems to have it all, except that it is used, which means I don't know what I'm getting basically. However, the person selling it lives in my city so reaching them should be no problem. I know this smartphone is a very god one and hard to get as well. It has great reviews, a few shortcomings like no NFC (that doesn't really bother me all that much...we still got cash and credit cards, and data transmission is doable in many ways, so yeah), no quick charge (not a deal breaker for me really) and apparently it's not all that resistant to water or dust but then again who cares...I know I shouldn't expose my smartphone to such conditions anyway I guess. Only question is, how smart is it to buy a used one for around 280 USD, 6 months old?

Anyway, it's a race between these 3 smartphones. And I have a hard time deciding. Right now, I'm mostly leaning towards the Oneplus 2 simply because I'll have an easier time updating it and the UI will be in English etc...while the other two Xiaomi phones might need more time to update/personalize and seem to have a somewhat "whacky" UI such as the panorama view not being available while viewing apps. I also read recently that the newest update for Oneplus 2 has some serious issues with having its mobile network dropped like 10-12 times a minute, so that kind of puts me off for the moment xD

Anyway, opinions are welcome, and I guess I;m relatively close to making a decision once i do some more research on these 3.

Thank you once more for reading my rants, I know a type a lot.

scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  5. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I don't know if Oneplus doesn't sell over the web to your location, but when I go to the Oneplus site from the US, the Oneplus 2 is available brand new for $299. I'd guess maybe shipping would be prohibitive? Don't know.

scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  6. Confuzzled367

Even if it does ship, the phone will be subject to 25% taxes once it enters the country, and 10% customs tax as well. That 299 USD will go up 35%, which is another 105 USD, to round it up. I've already done the math and all, it comes up to around 405 USD, rounded up. Shipping costs are also subject to this increase, so if shipping is let's say 20 USD, it goes up to 27 USD, and in the end this phone would cost 432 USD. While I do have the money, I'm not the kind of guy who will shell out that kind of cash for a smartphone xD I've decided that 280 USD is the upper limit to be honest. I *may* pay a little more than that only if it's a really great deal. Prices are comparable outside and inside my country when you calculate taxes and customs, so yeah. Thanks a lot for the suggestion though, I appreciate the time :)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    jigwashere, Hook, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I'm in the same situation regarding buying tech stuff from the USA. Total price including shpping and taxes usually goes up by 40% or even 50%, plus most online sites don't offer warranty on unlocked phones. Interestingly, phones from big local stores usually are cheaper than buying online (once you include S&H and taxes), surely because of the mass economy involved. The largest local cell carrier (Claro) also sells unlocked PAYG phones and prices are usually lower than on stores. In fact, the three high-end phones I've purchased for me and my wife in the last 4 years were purchased unlocked from Claro. The time spent researching does pay off in the end :)

scjjtt, RickAgresta, Hook and 2 others like this.
  8. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Darn, I was hoping that because OnePlus (actually a Chinese company, I believe) operates a large number of international online stores (although they don't list Croatia) that there might be a better deal for you.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  9. Confuzzled367

I agree that the research pays off in the end :) I've spent the last week researching and reading reviews on the smartphones I would want to potentially buy. I also watched a good amount of reviews on youtube and saw how these smartphones work, they all seem to work great, so it seems whichever one I pick, I can't go wrong :) Pretty much all the reviews are very positive, though I have to say that that Xiaomi smartphones have gotten better reviews than the Oneplus 2, especially on Kimovil, which I have found to be good source of feedback on the smartphones in question.

In any case, barring me discovering another smartphone that's in the range of these three regarding price/specs/performance, I'll be deciding between the three smartphones I mentioned above. Being a perfectionist though, I'll do more research and read/watch some more reviews and go from there.

And yeah, those taxes and customs fees are brutal.

Yup, Oneplus is a Chinese company indeed. Yeah, for 299 USD this would be a really sweet deal, I'd go for it if it wasn't for the high taxes and customs fee. Still, I appreciate your effort and suggestions mate, thanks for pointing it out - perhaps it helps someone else reading the thread :)

RickAgresta, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  10. Confuzzled367

Update: Alright then, after having called a local mobile shop to get the smartphone I decided on, they didn't have it. I then proceeded to check the internet for other offers and stumbled upon 3 decent offers. Finally I decided to order from Aliexpress because of the lowest price and the fact that it's a special edition version of the phone with a few extra features.

The phone in question is the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro Prime special edition 3GB/32GB version. Great price, and with the newest android version as well. I should be receiving it within 14-22 business days, according to the info on the site.

There, I guess that covers it :) If all goes well, I'll be posting my opinion/review of the phone here. Since the community here has been very nice and helpful, I'll remember to give something back at least, and tell you guys and girls about the phone once I have it and use it a bit :)