New user seeking help and info on mobile phone

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Confuzzled367, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Confuzzled367

Confuzzled367 Mobile Enthusiast

questionfear: Right, I'll do that. I'll look into it.

EdmundDantes: Actually, cost is not exactly an issue, I have enough money to afford flagship phones. But I'm not the kind of guy who wants the newest and most expensive stuff for the sake of having it. I just want a good performance smartphone for a reasonable price, although I'd like it to be better in terms of performance since I do want it to keep up with new apps and stuff. I know it sounds like I don't know what I want haha xD This stems from the fact that I don't yet know how demanding apps and games might be I guess. Also, storage isn't a problem, really, both phones have a card slot so no problem there :)

r0k likes this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Speaking of storage: keep in mind that external card storage is great for media (pictures, songs, videos) and documents/e-books, but many apps can't be stored/run on the external card., they must "live" in internal memory --- initially, not a problem on a new device, but as time goes by and you add new apps, it may become an issue, depending on what you add (I've read that some games require *a*lot* of space). I don't mean to be saying that the less expensive phone is a bad choice, but you asked for assistance, so I'm adding my thoughts. I will say though, that in my opinion, 16Gb internal memory is the absolute minimum you should consider (speaking from personal experience with a tablet with only 8Gb internal storage).

3. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

This isn't completely true, in my experience. Android continues to make external SD card storage for other than media storage very tricky, and it isn't likely to get better over time. You can get around things with root, but you can still run into problems and some apps have cut their losses and only use internal storage. That's why I now care more about how much internal storage I have and don't even seek out phones with SD card storage. If they have it, fine, but when I have it I use it for media.

Get the maximum internal storage you can afford, even with SD card storage. It will make life a lot easier. I deeply regret getting a 16GB tablet even with a 128GB SD card. JMHO, of course.

Edit: heheehee sniped by Rick! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    r0k, raspabalsa, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  4. RickAgresta

nah, complementary posts -- say, can we drag this thread off-topic yet? :vbrolleyes:

r0k and jigwashere like this.
  5. Confuzzled367

Rick and Hook: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about internal storage. I know apps have to be installed on the device itself, meaning internal storage. Thus I'm definitely getting at least a 32GB internal storage smartphone, that's a no brainer for me. My PC has 300 GB and most of it is taken, so I know I'll need the memory sooner or later on that smartphone xD

Also, I've been looking at some smartphones and another Xiaomi device just caught my eye - the Redmi note 4 64gb/3GB RAM for around 280 USD. Lots of storage space and even with a deca core (not that I'm crazy about deca cores but heck, I guess I could go for something that's off the grid haha). Been looking at reviews of different phones and perhaps a decision will fall soon.

Does anyone think that a deca core 2.1 Ghz is perhaps too much, and would overheat a lot? If so, I'm not sure about buying it. I'm more interested in constant good performance rather than a very high performance that dies out quickly.

Thanks for all the help so far guys and girls, learned a lot from you guys in just a few posts, gotta say I came to the right place :)

Edit: I just read user reviews about the redmi note 4, it seems to be facing overheating issues, and some also say that battery life is low. It also sounds like the redmi note 4 can't keep up its performance for very long as well. Kind of puts me off of buying it, but I''ll keep looking into it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    r0k and RickAgresta like this.
  6. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

A particular CPU type or speed won't tell you everything you need to know about heat (or performance or battery life). Part of it is the engineering: what components are used and how well the phone is put together. The Samsung Note 7 was a fantastic phone on the spec sheet. :vbwink: That's why reviews, even user reviews, and forum discussions are important because they will tend to show real world evaluations of the phone over time. Forums require you to remember that people post when things go wrong, not when they are good, but you can still get good information as long as you keep that in mind. Generally, by picking a few trustworthy forums, I can see what problems are being reported, how common I think they are and whether I think I would run into them. For forums that cover a large number of devices (unlike Brighthand which is my favorite for the smart, friendly people :newpalm:), I prefer Android Forums and XDA. XDA is more of a developers forum and they are a little grouchy, but you can lurk and find things out. Android Forums is a much more friendly and helpful, like Brighthand, but the scope of device coverage makes it a little more scattered and less close knit.

r0k, RickAgresta, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  7. Confuzzled367

You're right. I'm aware of the fact that engineering and components play a role as well. That's why Im having a hard time deciding what to get heh xD'I understand I should probably just buy one that I like and go from there. I can already see this forum has some really nice people on it, I like it already :) Lots of help for a newbie like me as well haha. And yeah, people do post only when something is wrong. Right you are. I think I may have picked a Xiaomi phone that I like, and I'll be reading some user reviews about it and see what people have to say about it. Perhaps that's the one I'll get, but there's still other options I'm considering.

Thanks for the reply, you've helped once more :)

scjjtt, r0k, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Welcome to Brighthand, Confuzzled367.

I mostly agree with all that's been said above (that's why I didn't post earlier - everytime I drafted a post I saw someone else had posted the same thing first :) ). Personally, I like powerful smartphones with 5" or larger screens, but I seldom get the newest, shiniest smartphone. I usually get last year's flagships, that way I get a high-end device at a relatively low price. I do try to get a device that has been considered a flagship (or at least the one the manufacturer tried to market as one), that way the hardware has enough power for HD movies and games. IMO, CPU model numbers in themselves often mean little, and benchmarks much less. I've never run a benchmark of my devices, instead I judge their performance running real-world tasks.

I bought a Sony Xperia Z1 (Snapdragon 800, Adreno 330) in 2014, back when the Snapdragon 805 and Adreno 420 were the top choices, and it served me very well until I decided to upgrade to a LG V10 (Snapdragon 808, Adreno 418), a few months after the Edge 7 debuted with its Snapdragon 820 and Adreno 530. I don't feel like I've lost anything by "trailing" the numbering sequence. In fact, I decided to replace my Z1 mostly because I wanted a larger screen and more storage, but its performance is still perfectly adequate for me. Now it's my mother-in-law's "new" phone and she loves it.

Not sure if this rant is of any use to you, but hey, this is Brighthand! :D

9. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Be sure to post back after you decide and tell us about the device. You'll help future posters with your impressions. And we love hearing about new gear, too. :newpalm:

scjjtt, r0k, Hook and 2 others like this.
  10. RickAgresta

+elebenty!

scjjtt, Mi An and r0k like this.