New user seeking help and info on mobile phone

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Confuzzled367, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Confuzzled367

Confuzzled367 Mobile Enthusiast

Hey everyone,

I'm new to smartphones and so far I've had only a regular cellphone, which was enough for me up until now. Now I'm looking to get a smartphone, and I've done some research on what to get, but I'm still a bit confused on a few things, so I came here to as a few questions regarding mobile phones and their performance.

To start off, I'm looking for an Android smartphone with good performance (whatever that means haha) which can also be used to play games every now and then. I'm not a hardcore gamer or anything but I like to play games when I'm bored. I'm also looking for something that will last for next few years, like 5-6 years at least, since I'm not the kind of guy who's gonna be getting a new phone all the time. And something that runs apps and games smoothly.

Right now, I'm looking at the Xiaomi Mi Max 3GBRAM/32GB, which has excellent overall specs and reviews alike. However, I've been looking at some Antutu benchmark tests, and have discovered that another Xiaomi mobile, specifically the XIAOMI REDMI NOTE 3 PRO DUAL 16GB phone with seemingly *weaker* specs overall (and 25% lower price) actually has better performance and is ranked higher than the Mi Max despite lower specs. So I got a few questions here.

My first question is, how relevant are Antutu benchmark tests, and how come a phone with weaker specs has better performance than one with better stated specs?

My second question is whether or not these tests are relevant to using apps and playing games? Does better performance on Antutu tests mean an overall smoother user experience, whether playing games or using apps?

My third question is - what does smartphone performance depend on exactly? If a phone with lower specs can perform better than one with seemingly higher end specs, than how do you measure performance exactly?

Ok, phew, I guess I'm starting to bore you already. I'm basically looking at these 2 mobile phones right now. The Mi Max 32GB costs around 280 USD, and the XIAOMI REDMI NOTE 3 PRO DUAL 16GB costs around 210 USD, basically a quarter cheaper, but with better performance than the Mi Max?

Also to note, I do not live in the USA, I live in Croatia, but prices are pretty much the same, more or less. One more thing - if anyone can give me a recommendation on what other phones to buy in the 250 USD range that are better than the Xiaomi phones mentioned above, then please do suggest [​IMG] As a new user, I'm not that knowledgeable, so a few good recommendations would help a lot. I love the fact that the Mi Max has a 4850 mAh battery and very long life, and I'd like my phone to be durable in terms of battery power.

Anyway, I think I talk (type) too much. Probably already starting to bore you, too. I appreciate any help that comes my way, and thanks for reading my mumbling xD And thanks in advance for any answers guys and girls!

2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Welcome Confuzzled367. I know that others can give you some great answer to your questions. Just slightly above your price is the LG v10. The battery never makes it through the day for me - but I always carry a spare - but it is a great phone.

Good luck and keep us posted how we can help.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

3. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Welcome to Brighthand. :newpalm:

The two phones you mentioned look to me to have the same resolution (1080p) and the same chipset (snapdragon 650). Those are the two biggest performance drivers in hardware (higher resolutions slow down performance, you can expect a 720p phone to run faster on the same chip than 1080p, and 1080p to run faster than 1440p). Software can determine some from there, and if a manufacturer optimizes their software well, it can outperform the same hardware by at least a little. As far as RAM goes, you don't want to have too little, but having more past a certain point may have little or no impact on performance.

Can't make too specific recommendations on what to get, but a few models for you to look into and compare that I believe will be close to your price range. First, the Moto G4 (there are several variants), motorola built a good reputation on these mid range device. Huawei has the Honor 5x in a similar range and probably some other models as well. Exploring those may lead you to other related models. And scjjtt has a good point, prior year flagships can sometimes be a good bargain. Good luck!

r0k, raspabalsa, scjjtt and 1 other person like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Welcome to Brighthand, Confuzzled367.

I find it difficult to expect 5-6 years from a smartphone, but it's certainly possible. Consider how you'll protect if from knocks, bumps and scratches (a good case should help) and the ability to replace the battery.

r0k, raspabalsa and scjjtt like this.
  5. Confuzzled367

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies! Didn't know I'd get this much help, but I'm glad I know a bit more now.

Scjjtt: Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look it up :) And thanks for the welcome as well!

Mi An: Aaah right, I understand. That actually makes sense to me now haha xD So basically, a better Antutu score doesn't have to mean much then, when it comes to performance. I know it comes down to what I would like to have in a smartphone, but being a newbie I still got questions heh. Thanks for the explanation, and I'll look up the phones you mentioned, and see what they got :)

jigwashere: Well, let's just I'm the kind of guy who takes care of his stuff. So the phone will be safe with me, no worries. I know I have to be careful not to damage it.

I have another question, that should be relatively simple to answer I guess - is the Mi Max 3gb/32GB a good phone for the price of 280 USD? Or rather, is it good bang for the buck, so to speak? I have the notion it is, but being new, I'd rather ask someone more experienced.

Thanks everyone for the help so far! :)

r0k and scjjtt like this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Welcome to Brighthand, Confuzzled367!

I can't really add much to what's already been said, other than to mention that if you really want to get 5 or 6 years of use out of a phone, *and* you want it to stay current (OS version, security patches, etc.) you'll want to look for a device which can be rooted (that's an action that allows the user full access to all settings&files -- somewhat similar to a Windows account with administrative privileges compared to one without those privileges) -- not all phones can be rooted.

Best luck!

r0k, raspabalsa, scjjtt and 1 other person like this.
  7. r0k

r0k Dazed

Welcome to Brighthand, Confuzzled367!

It's 2016 and I got my first iPhone in fall 2010. I think I'd be pretty miserable right now if I was still carrying around whatever iPhone I had back then... iPhone 4, maybe? I do still have some of my old phones lying around. Heck I even have some of my old Palm devices so I know they can be made to last. One big factor in obsolescence is the inability to run current apps because you can no longer get software updates, hence RA's suggestion that you make sure you get a phone that can be rooted. Another approach is to decide to replace it in 3 or 4 years while it still has some resale value so you can have a more current phone instead of holding onto it for so long.

Best of luck to you!

Let us know what you decide to get and how it works out!

8. Confuzzled367

Rickagresta: Hmmm rooted you say? I'll look it up thanks!

r0k: I think your suggestion of holding onto a phone for 3-4 years and then reselling and buying a new one might be better than holding on to one device for 5-6 years. I know software is being updated all the time, and that was actually one of my concerns. I think I'll go for your suggestion instead of looking for something that will last absurd amounts of time haha xD

I'll let you know what I decide on after I've looked some other options and informed myself more.

Thanks for the help so far everyone :) If anyone has anything else to add, please feel free!

r0k likes this.
  9. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

The issue is less whether you keep the phone safe, and more whether the phone can keep up over time. The phone will likely not get more than 1-2 major OS upgrades from the manufacturer, and it will definitely drop any and all security updates after a period of time as well. So if you intend to keep the phone going for a long period of time, I suggest you become familiar with XDA-Developers and the various ways to root and hack an android phone, as you will definitely need to do so to keep an Android phone going for more than 3 years.

r0k likes this.
  10. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

It sounds as if cost is an issue (which plays into the usage for 5+ years), I'd go with the cheaper one and count the saved $70 or so towards future contingencies (losing, damaging the phone; finding it won't make it 5 years or more).

I forgot to mention, the cheaper phone has less storage; but does it have a card slot? If so, you can make up the 16GB (and much more) for far less than $70.

r0k, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.