New Treo 680 will not connect for synchronization

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by Degsy, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Degsy

Degsy Mobile Enthusiast

Hi Hal,

I think the confusion may be that, as a developer, I have been given an O/S of unmodified Windows Server 2003 (Standard Editoon, Service Pack 2), on my work PC (as opposed to the end-user platform of restricted XP). I cannot get my PC to recognise the device at all (except as an MTP device), so cannot even sync with Palm Desktop. Ultimately I would like to sync with Outlook (I have downloaded the latest software, and Outlook conduits), but I just can't get beyond the first hurdle.The hotsync manager is just what I have installed from the CD supplied with the phone. Does that clarify the situation at all?
    Regards.

2. Degsy

Degsy Mobile Enthusiast

Sorry Hal, I replied to this 2 days ago, but maybe the Post button didn't take...

Just to clarify, my company provides me with a PC with an open version of Window Server 2003 (Standard Edition, Service Pack 2), running Outlook 2007 SP1. I would like to sync to my local Calendar and Contacts only (I'm not concerned with shared Calendars, etc..).

I have been trying to use the Hotsync Manager supplied with the phones's CD.

I have also downloaded the latest version of the phone's O/S - now updated to Treo680-1.12-ROW (via my home laptop), and the latest verson of Palm Desktop plus the Outlook conduits.

All the updates are irrelevant as I cannot get the PC to recognise the phone as a Palm Handheld (just as an MTP device) , so I cannot even sync to Palm Desktop.

Does that help?

3. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

<Uh, sorry pal, I hadn't stepped back into this thread :eek:>

YES! It helps a lot. 1st clarified detail: what you are attempting is not a server sync. Windows Server 2003 is there in the place of the OS for your computer, so what must be ruled out first is that, through your first posts, what I understood is that you wished to do a shared servers hotsync (cause that's what a server is used for, huh?). What you attempt is a local sync. OK, what you need is the following:
    Palm Desktop
    HotSync Manager (any regular version will do, no professional one needed)
    * Outlook 2007 Update (Windows installer) for Palm OS

If all these points are covered, then I suggest you search into the Devices Manager to see if any USB mis-recognized device is there, so to purge an entry related to the Palm device; if it doesn't surface with the device disconnected from the USB cable, try connecting it as you watch the Devices Manager, to see how does it recognize the device. Next, tap once on the HotSync Manager icon in the Windows TaskBar and verify that, at the upper zone of the menu that pops, two options are checked: "USB local" and "local"; the other sync options (Modem, Network, Infrared, are best if unchecked).

If the issue doesn't end, uninstall and reinstall Palm Desktop, hotsync manager, assign the hotsync conduits into Outlook right away, and install the Outlook conduits update. Again, verify said options in the HotSync Manager.

Please post back any progress.

4. Degsy

Degsy Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks again Hal, but as previously mentioned, I have pretty much tried all the things you have mentioned, including deinstalling all Palm devices, software, and folders, and reinstalling from scratch.

The one thing that I haven't tried is checking the Local Serial option (as well as Local USB) on the Hotsync manager. I have my work desktop PC reconfigured and working for my Treo 600, and don't want to mess that up until I know I can get the 680 to work. However, I do have a work laptop with the same OS as the desktop, and will try the 2 option thing in the next couple of days.

As I mentioned before, if I cannot get the 680 to sync with Palm Desktop, there seems little point in worrying about Outlook (conduits 'n' all), so I will try that first.

Finally, coming back to the Bluetooth scenario, would you be confident that a Bluetooth modem would solve the problem (albeit with greatly increased sync'ing times)?

Cheers,
    Degsy.

5. Degsy

Degsy Mobile Enthusiast

Hello again. Tried the local/serial option - still no joy. Now convinced that this is fundamental incompatability between the OS and the Treo 680 device. Have just ordered a bluetooth dongle, and will experiment with that - D.