New Treo 680 will not connect for synchronization

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by Degsy, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Degsy

Degsy Mobile Enthusiast

Hi Guys,
    I am an experienced Palm/Treo user, but my new Treo 680 is driving me nuts, as nothing that I have tried seems to enable it to connect to either my work Desktop or Laptop, which are using Windows 2003 server, btw (is this a problem?).
    The Treo is unlocked, and has the TREO680-1.04-ROW version of software installed (from Phone Info).
    I am upgrading from a Treo 600, and originally tried to overlay the new synchronization software from the supplied CD. This did not work (even with PC restarts, Treo soft and hard resets, etc., etc..
    I have now tried removing all references to Palm from my PC with the Microsoft "Windows Install Clean Up" utility, and installining the 680 software on what is effectively a clean base.
    I have also installed the Desktop 6.2 upgrade, and Outlook 2007 upgrade. This now seems to work fine with my old Treo 600, but I still cannot get a connection response on the PC screen when I hit the sync button on the 680, which eventually times out with the standard "The connection......could not be established....." message.
    I have tried resets at all the various stages by the way, and am running out of ideas, so before I revert to my old Treo 600 plus a very expensive paper weight (a Treo without sync is virtually useless in my world), do you, dear reader, have any suggestions? :confused:
    Thanks,
    Degsy.

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hello Degsy, welcome to Brighthand! :)

Sorry to hear about your problems with your 680. Sounds like you've done a thorough check of the software, but what about the hardware? Have you tried with another hotsync cable? Another USB port? Have you visually checked the 680's connector? If the contacts are dirty or corroded they may prevent good electrical contact.

Have you tried other means to hotsync? If your laptop has BlueTooth you can try setting hotsync to use it. Is very slowly, but will help you ride tis bump until you can solve the problem.

IMO a Palm/Treo without hotsync is not useless at all. Quite the contrary. Several of us do not hotsync our devices at all, and instead rely on other sync mechanisms. Of course, since you use Outlook (I don't use it at all) I understand that you must have a way to hotsync your device.

3. Degsy

Degsy Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply Raspabalsa. Since my original post, things have moved on. I am now able to sync with my personal, Vista based laptop, and have updated the Treo to the 1.12 software via that route, so the Treo and my home environment, including the hotsync cable (I also suspected this), are now hunky dory.
    However, my work PC still refuses to recognize the handheld, either from sync'ing from the handheld, or trying to run the 1.12 upgrade from the PC, which also tries to connect from the other direction.
    It would appear that there is either a fundamental problem in connecting from Windows 2003 server (which works fine for my Treo 600), or I am not picking up the correct device driver from the CD. Is there a way of forcing this, remembering that I have already tried reboots and handheld resets?
    I have also just tried "clean" uninstall, i.e. removing the palm directories, and clearing out the palm keys from the Registry, before installing from the disk. Still refuses to connect (Microsoft seems to think it is an MTP Media Player??). I've seen from other sources that the sync cable won't work with 64 bit software, but as far as I can tell, my version of Windows 2003 Server is 32 bit, so I am seriously running out of ideas. Aaaaaaaarghhh!!!

4. raspabalsa

I'm not familiar with Win Server 2003, and I don't know if it has issues with PalmDesktop. Shouldn't, since your 600 syncs with it, but it could be that Palm dropped compatibility with win 2003 in later versions of PalmDesktop. Try searching Palm's support site, see if it lists your windows as compatible.

Also, try deleting and reinstalling your 680 from the device manager. Your 680 must be connected via the USB cable, then it will appear in the hardware list. Insert the 680's CD, delete the 680, then wait for it to be detected again. Tell the computer to search the CD for drivers. If still it fails to work properly try to manually select a driver from the CD. I don't know where they're on the CD, so try searching or browsing the folders looking for .inf files.

In the meantime, if your computer has BlueTooth, you cantry syncing by this means. BT is slower than USB, but it will let you keep your palm and PC synced until you can solve the USB problem.

5. Degsy

Degsy Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks again R,

I have spent so much time on this, I am now taking progmatic route of using my old 600 as my work PDA, while using the 680 as my phone/private PDA. BT is not an option at work, but I will try to progress along the lines you suggest when I have the time/inclination.

Just noticed your address. The Galapagos is the best place I have ever visited / dived. Lets hope we don't screw it up.

Cheers,
    Degs.

6. Degsy

Degsy Mobile Enthusiast

Final post-script on this. Having followed virtually every tip and technique to get this loaded, I have come to the conclusion that the Treo 680 is not compatible with Windows Server 2003 (please let me know anyone who has managed to synchronize on this platform). The final proof was following Solution ID: 3713, from the Palm Support site about installing new hardware. At the point where you double-click on the "Palm Handheld" Model, "The software for this device is now installed, but may not work correctly. This device cannot start (Code 10)". I have emailed Palm to confirm the incompatability, but have had no response. So until when and if my company upgrades its developers software, I seem to be stuck with my old Treo 600.

7. raspabalsa

Thanks for the update, Degsy. Too bad your 680 can't sync with WS 2003. I find it strange that the 600 can sync with this win version while the 680 can't. I can't offer any help with this issue, hopefully a 680 user or someone who knowsabout WS 2003 can help with your problem.

8. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Degsy, one part of the problem may rely here: in your personal computer, in the Palm HotSync Manager, you better inform the system that this Palm device is expected to sync with more than one computer. Now, if the computer at work doesn't get along with the 680, better uninstall all Palm software, check around the Device Manager as already discussed, and search for any driver related to a Palm device. Next, AFAIK, a Palm device will not get along with a Windows Server 2003 using the resources that come out-of-the-box. Believe it or not, a Palm syncing to a Windows server is a dying framework; yes, I know it was used a lot in the past, but it's turning obsolete, at least in the eyes of the guys that decide what may be bundled in with such a device. To do this, you need a hotsync manager that can talk to several folders at a time for a single app. The 680 is bundled with Palm HotSync Manager, that can't handle that. Other Palm models were bundled with Chapura PocketMirror Standard Edition (standard, as in personal use purported, so it doesn't handle multiple folders either). You may have to purchase Chapura PocketMirror Professional Edition, which can sync to several folders for a single app, and that's where the Windows Server thing arrives. Once installed, you have to define the shared folders you want a given app to sync with (i.e., this is very common with shared address books, and shared calendars; almost nobody uses a shared Memos folder, you follow?).

9. Degsy

Degsy Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks Hal,

1. You seem to be confirming the incompatability of the 680 with WS 2003. I find it incomprehensible that Palm would decide that this is not a platform worthy of support, particularly as it worked with previous versions of the Treo. Surely it would not be too great a task to upgrade that for 680 usage?

2. In terms of multiple folders, I only need the 680 to sync to my Notes, personal Contacts, and personal diary (not even email), so having to resort to Chapura Professional would seem a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut. I am also at the stage where I need to be convinced that this would even work.

3. I have been down the route of removing everything Palm related that I could find in terms of folders, registry, and devices, before reinstalling, which proved useless, even after a hard reset (which should resolve the multiple hotsync problem).

4. It has been suggested that a Bluetooth connection might circumvent the problem, but from what you are saying, I might still be subjected to the shortcomings of the Hotsync Manager. I don't really want to invest in a modem which might turn out to be a nother useless piece of kit.

All in all, I can only hazard a guess at what someone who might be new to Palms, or is not particularly technically adept or interested, might think finding themselves in this situation. Surely a phone should be pretty much plug and play these days.

Cheers,
    Degsy.

10. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Hmmm, again. What you need in order to sync to server folders with your Palm device, is a hotsync managing program that can connect to shared server folders. I suggest Chapura PocketMirror Professional Edition. Other options, like Palm HotSync Manager or Chapura PocketMirror Standard Edition, can't see into shared server folders.

Your point #2 is not an example of multiple folders syncing. Syncing to multiple folders means, in the example of the Calendar, that you could sync the device to both a local folder in your Outlook profile, for instance, and a shared calendar in a server folder. At this point, I am starting to perceive some confusion in what you want to do. Please, post the OS you use in your computer, the program you sync your Palm into in a straightforward manner (including version if you please), and where is the location of said Windows Server 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.