New to PDA - Suggestion between 2 PLEASE!

Discussion in 'PDAs and Handhelds' started by mrtbig, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrtbig

mrtbig Newbie

I am looking at possibly a iPAQ 2795 or Palm TX.

I want access to web, outlook, word, excel, possibly GPS, photo viewer, music player and I have a large genealogy data file that I can get a program for to use on a PDA and synch my file so I can use easily when researching at various places.

What do you think of these devices is the best? Or is there something better?

Thanks!

UPDATE:: Also considering the Dell x50v or x51v. Also, is it a breaker to have windows mobile 2003 instead of windows mobile 2005? Is 2005 that much better?
  2. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

I'm personally very pleased with all of the iPAQ hx2700s - in my experience, an hx2750 was the fastest, zippiest, most responsive PDA I've ever used. Even faster (for my kind of usage, anyhow) than many newer, more expensive machines with "better" specs.

I haven't used Palms much at all (I'm a WM type) ... but from what I've heard, the TX is a very robust, capable, impressive device - perhaps the best Palm-type device available. I've even toyed with the idea of purchasing one myself, given all the TX acclaim in Brighthander talk I've eavesdropped on.

Based on that, I'd say they're both great devices. Unless you require a specific OS platform to run certain apps or something, it's really all a matter of which path you would find most pleasing. The WM devices (like the hx2795) might have a bit more of a learning curve, but otherwise they seem to be pretty much on par overall.
  3. davidbec

davidbec Mobile Evangelist

The iPAQ 2795 has a QVGA (240x320) screen on 3.5 inches of real estate. This may not be the best for viewing web pages and other graphics work.

The TX has a HVGA (320x480) screen on 3.7 inches of real estate. A slightly better experience. However both are humbled by the VGA screens of the Dell Axim x50v and x51v PDAs.
  4. Konrad Pierce

The only reason I didn't specifically recommend the hx2795 is cost; if you could find some for sale under $250 I'd like to know!

Again with the QVGA ... yeah, the HVGA is better <grumble grumble mutter> I can't say anything bad about it.
    But you generally have to pay a considerable premium for anything with VGA, sadly. I guess, bearing that consideration, you'll probably want to consider nothing smaller than a 3" screen ... it just makes eBooks, word processing, and spreadsheets annoyingly unworkable when you have to constantly scroll up/down and side-to-side. Bigger screen = better screen, even more important than the resolution.
  5. mrtbig

mrtbig Newbie

I can get new 2795 for around $290 and I have seen the palms on ebay for about $200. The screen size is a difference but I am concerned with my large genealogy database that I need the fast processor of the 2795. Will the palm handle it well? It is about 400mb and I plan on putting it on a card.
  6. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

If the hx2795 costs as much as you guys are saying, then it seems ridiculously overpriced for a QVGA device. (Too bad that HP has yet to produce a VGA device since the hx4700.)

...Oh, wait, I keep on forgetting that the United States isn't the only country to use "dollars" and "cents" as currency, and that a certain poster here is from another country that also uses "dollars" and "cents"(Canada). What's the exchange rate, again?

Anyway, if you're looking at the 200-300 US$ spectrum, I'd recommend a Dell Axim X50v or X51v without hesitation. Very well-rounded devices for the price, and yet they still have features that most other devices don't(VGA, and especially an OpenGL-ES-compliant GPU).

Now, for the OP's requirements:

Web browsing-Windows Mobile wins hands down, if only because of Opera Mobile and support for resolutions beyond HVGA.

Outlook/e-mail-VersaMail and SnapperMail fetch my e-mail far faster than the integrated e-mail client on my X50v does(the latter seems to hang for a while just trying to log in). Regarding e-mail syncing, Palm OS devices can sync to just about any e-mail client I can think of, whereas WM devices are pretty much tied to Outlook for PIM data(I believe alternate clients such as Thunderbird can be used for e-mail, but I'm not sure). Both appear to sync e-mail from the desktop fine from my experiences.

Word/Excel-WM devices have integrated Word and Excel apps, but they pale compared to Palm OS's Documents To Go(though the PowerPoint viewer on WM5 devices has less rendering artifacts). I can't comment on the popular Word and Excel substitutes for WM(TextMaker and something else, can't really remember), since I'm not buying them without a robust PowerPoint viewer AND editor.

GPS-I don't know enough about this subject to make any judgment calls.

Photo viewing-(W)VGA WM devices hold the lead because of screen resolution, and with Resco Photo Viewer, make nice digital photo wallets. The HVGA Palm OS devices follow(I'd suggest Resco Photo Viewer or GrxView for that platform), then 320x320 Palm OS devices, then the common QVGA WM devices.

Music player-Both OSes are about equal. I'd suggest TCPMP for both platforms, as it's freeware and plays just about anything(except WMA and WMV for the Palm OS version). If you need WMA and WMV on Palm OS, as well as streaming support, there's Kinoma Player 4 EX.

Look over those needs carefully, and decide which platform is for you. I'd still have to back up the X50v and X51v on the WM front, though you shouldn't overlook the hx4700 and the LOOX 720 or N560(is it that one that ditched the CF slot, but adds GPS?). Palm OS-wise, the T|X is pretty much the one to get.
  7. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Welcome to Brighthand, mrtbig.

No comments here, other than I suspect that a 400Mb database on the SD card is going to stretch pretty much any PDA.
  8. mrtbig

mrtbig Newbie

See update above. Another potential PDA and software question!
  9. Konrad Pierce

I've always been conscious of that fact :p ... If you'd like, you can review my past babblings and take note that I've either always posted "current" US prices or explicitly stated the value in non-US currency. I tend to refer to XE.COM for my conversions.

As a rule of thumb, when browsing prices online, pretty much everything happens to be listed in USD$ on most sites by default (regardless of your actual location), so I'm generally quite aware of the US-equivalent pricing.
  10. NamelessPlayer

WM2003SE and WM5 differences:

-WM2003SE and prior use the device's RAM to store data as well as for running programs. WM5 and later use the device's NVRAM for data storage and the RAM just for running programs, making it more like a PC in terms of memory usage. This results in several differences:
    -On a WM2003SE device, if the battery is completely drained, your data will be lost because the volatile RAM doesn't have any more power to retain contents, and the device will be in a hard-reset state. If a WM5 device were to lose all battery power, your data will still be present in the NVRAM, which doesn't need constant battery power, and the device will only be in a soft-reset state when you start charging it again. This also means that WM5 devices tend to have longer battery life than WM2003SE ones.
    -On the other hand, NVRAM is slower than volatile RAM, resulting in many people saying that WM5 feels slow compared to WM2003SE.
    -WM5 uses far more RAM than WM2003SE does given that the latter's RAM is not burdened with programs and data in storage and is allocated to function mostly as program memory. This probably won't be an issue for the vast majority of apps.
    -Some programs only run under WM2003SE. Others only run under WM5. Most run on both, or will have versions dedicated to either one.
    -Between the X50v and X51v, the former has a backup battery that keeps the RAM fed during a battery swap. The latter doesn't have one, but since it only runs WM5, you'll only have to deal with a soft reset.
    -Also just between the X50v and X51v, WM2003SE comes loaded with the WIDCOMM/Broadcom BT stack. WM5 on both uses the Microsoft BT stack by default, but the Broadcom one can be installed courtesy of a neat package hosted on the Aximsite forums. (However, the Broadcom stack doesn't seem to restore BT multiplayer functionality in one of my games...)
  11. mrtbig

mrtbig Newbie

NamelessPlayer,

Thanks for all of your feedback, I appreciate it. I don't want to sound undecided but I am. I am a little concerned about the Dell since Dell has abandoned the device. Question, how does the iPAQ hx4700 stack up? Researching reviews it sounds like the best! I can get them both for about the same on ebay, which direction would you go? Of course I can also get the hx2795 for about the same price but the screen differences look like it would be stupid. Like I mentioned before one use is my genealogy database that I can buy a pocket genealogist program for to run. The database is about 400mb and growing. I think I should stick to the 624 processors. I hope you can get all this and I didn't ramble too much.
  12. Konrad Pierce

The essential differences between the X51v and hx4700:

- The X51v integrates the Marathon 3D graphic accelerator chip (with 16MB of memory)
    - The X51v has twice the ROM of the hx4700 (256MB vs 128MB)
  13. NamelessPlayer

More differences between the Axims and the hx4700:

-The hx4700 has a 4" screen compared to the 3.7" one on the VGA Axims, and most people who have seen both say that the hx4700 wins by a landslide, not just because of size, but because it doesn't have refraction issues(tilt a X50v or X51v up or down in portrait orientation, and you'll notice that the screen gets rather bright or dark if you're not looking at it directly), and possibly because of the way colors look. (Note that I have never seen the hx4700 in person, so I can only regurgitate what others have said.)
    -The hx4700 has a larger stock battery of 1800mAh compared to the stock 1100mAh in all Axim X50-and-X51-series devices. On the other hand, it's larger.
    -For whatever stupid reason I can't fathom, the hx4700 has its IrDA port on the BOTTOM of the unit. The Axims have it on top, where it should be.
    -The hx4700 does have a GPU, but it's only an old ATI Imageon that can only accelerate MPEG-4 video decoding in TCPMP. It won't run OpenGL-ES software, which mostly consists of games.
    -The hx4700 has this weird touchpad on the bottom rather than a traditional D-Pad. This is actually the main reason why I strayed away from it, as gaming is one of my main uses for a pocket computer, and the trackpad would be even worse than even the infernal T|T3 button layout because of its lack of tactile feedback. For other uses, however, it may not be so bad.

I found the X50v and X51v to be better FOR ME than the hx4700 because of the controls and OpenGL-ES-compliant GPU, but there's no denying that with that screen and a good-sized CF or SD card, the hx4700 would probably make the better video player, e-book/PDF/saved Internet page viewer, and the like due to its screen.
  14. Konrad Pierce

lol, I've used both devices, and - if I had to proclaim a preference - I'd say the Axim has a slightly better screen image, overall. The difference in screen size is hardly significant, especially since the HP seems to have deeper plastic edges around it. I speculate that any real (not perceived) differences in the quality of the screens is more likely the result of differing qualities in individual screens themselves than in the models they're mounted in.

And the battery issues aren't really an issue - who cares how physically big the battery itself is, as long as it can all be packed into the PDA and doesn't weigh 30lbs? The important factor is that both devices generally have the same running lifetime on a single battery charge.

Otherwise, I fully agree with your arguments about the axim's superiority. Especially the IrDA port (what the hell was HP thinking with that one?)
  15. NamelessPlayer

Back to batteries, both devices do have extended-capacity batteries.

Only, in the Axim's case, the 1800mAh battery sticks a bit out of the back, kind of killing the uniform look. The 2200-2400mAh batteries are a bit worse, and the 3300mAh makes it a brick.

I'm sure that batteries of similar capacity would make the hx4700 more of a brick than it already is, but at least it appears more uniform, spreading along the entire back of the unit.

And, as far as screen quality goes, that's reassuring regarding my X50v. As I said, I have NOT seen the hx4700 screen in person, so I was just reciting what I've read regarding forum posts that pertain to that device's screen-and it just so happens to be that people tend to prefer the hx4700's screen out of what I've read.

Oh, and one more thing about the hx4700-they have the upper-left corner of the device crammed with a power button, headphone jack, and stylus silo, but the upper-right corner is devoid of anything useful, like maybe an IrDA port(where it should have been in the first place!). I also haven't noticed anything regarding side-mounted buttons such as jog dials or anything like that. Shouldn't they have went through a bit more testing before accepting the design it shipped with?
  16. portnoy

portnoy HP iPAQ HX4705 user

I've never messed with an axim, but I'm totally lovin' my hx4705. The screen on that thing is amazing.
  17. Konrad Pierce

HP is very unimaginative in engineering/design of new iPAQ models. Every single one mounts all the electronic stuff in the upper corner. This is because (when you take an iPAQ - any iPAQ - apart) you'll see all those bits of hardware mounted on a single solid plastic-molded block which precisely clamps into place in the front casing piece and precisely makes contact with a single connector on the mainboard. If you want to replace any one of those components (headphone jack, power button, leds), you've got to order the whole block as a single piece or develop methods to dismantle and rebuild each of the individual subcomponents it contains.

The stylus silo is basically just a perfectly-shaped empty "tube"; some models incorporate a cheap spring-lock mechanism, others (like the hx4700s) don't. I have no idea why HP stuck it on that side of the unit (as opposed to the other), except that the opposite side of the unit (the more intelligent place to put the silo) is packed with ICs.

Sometimes the layout of things in an iPAQ is just crazy, and makes no sense whatsoever from an engineering standpoint. My best guess is that HP spends the least amount of time and money they can to redesign a device as a newer model, and to retool their equipment to mass-produce it.