New to Palm TX

Discussion in 'Applications/Utilities (Palm OS)' started by fnpaulie, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

when you get to the point of exploring further (?) wifi hotsync is much faster. and, truth to tell, unless one is using the handheld to sync with MS Outlook or the Palm Desktop (for scheduling, tasks, contacts, memos) many of us (myself included) don't hotsync, but back up to an SD card in the TX itself. that provides the option of restoring when away from the computer with which you've hotsynced, plus it is a more complete backup. but that's slightly ahead of the game, I think, at this point.

given your description, I'd imagine that you'd be using a PC program for the heavy lifting of scheduling, etc., so hotsync will likely be in your future.

and, of course, Welcome to Brighthand, fnpaulie!

2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Ah, 64-bit. Just like Rick points out, for one Wi-Fik can be faster to hotsync, or no hotsync could be used at all, whatever suits you most. I do sync under Bluetooth, and it works as well. It's your call :)

3. fnpaulie

fnpaulie Mobile Enthusiast

Actually I am having a difficult time with setting up versamail. I have my business email account - Outlook - but I use Verizon.net for my own and am having a bad time trying to set it up. It has Authentication errors...

4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

For some reason I'm thinking that you can only handle one email account at a time but I may be mistaken. Does anyone else remember this? :confused:

5. hal

You're right, Lauren, VersaMail allows to setup several email accounts, believe 5 or 6, but it can reconcile only one at a time. Reconciling email on several accounts involves doing so in one, switching to another and so on. Whether any given email account can be setup in POP or IMAP, VersaMail can only do pull email, unless there is some fix to access Microsoft Exchange Server accounts, unto which the Palm device is enabled to work along push email services (but obviously only with said type of account, and I think it's not even thanks to VersaMail, but through a complementary email client that doesn't work in the user's view). Now, I don't even know if said fix is available for the Palm TX; you see, people, I use VersaMail but in a Palm Treo 680, and the latest fix (Jan'2008) enabled this latter feature.

Now, most probably Verizon.net has some padlock to do it either in a smartphone, or the email client features have to be carefully tweaked as when using a full-size computer email client. I bet it's gotta be the latter; email accounts only intended to be used in smartphones don't have a webpage that can easily be visited from a computer. fnpaulie, try to play with all of the options, like SPA and SSL boxes.

6. fnpaulie

Well I've been exploring over the past week and like my TX a lot. But...
    I need an app to set up a bill pay schedule. I'm not a fan of Ma Tiere. Something that I can enter on my pc would be great. Any ideas?

7. hal

Bill pay schedule... Well, if you can spend say a Friday evening on the subject, I suggest you take a dip into freewarepalm. There are several apps for basic money management that you can find handy. Now, I suggest you also wait for other members to post, cause I have no experience with any money app you can find there.

What I use is SplashMoney, that for one is not freeware, so it's up to you to try it and determine whether it's worth for you to purchase it. It's still for basic money management, kinda personal wallet, but it's effective, you can purchase the app as a standalone Palm OS app, or purchase the app for your computer and ease the data input (and sync amongst mobile and desktop), which you mention is what you're looking for, and it's also offered in several other platforms, so given the possibility you move in the future to another mobile platform, it's likely that you don't suffer a data migration issue. Besides, in SplashMoney, you can schedule payments in assorted manners, which is another of your requirements.

8. fnpaulie

Poking around on freewarepalm now, good apps. Please add to this list, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.