New to me - Used HTC EVO Shift

Discussion in 'HTC' started by headcronie, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Netflix works on mine to. If Amazon Video breaks, either the rooting method is doing more than rooting or AV can detect permissions ;)

Via Tapatalk

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

In researching, I believe AV detects rooting.

3. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

In general, I do not regard The Fire as normal Android and there may be various exploits to aggressively defeat hacking, even benign hacking like rooting. That's Amazon.

4. headcronie

Good point. Anyone running AV on a rooted device other than the Fire?

Sent from my HTC EVO Shift using Tapatalk

5. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I ran it when I had my nook tablet. You need otarootkeeper, which has a temp unroot feature.

6. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Its somewhat like my Desire Z, but with CDMA, a somewhat nicer body design and less expensive body finish.

Even in the age of dual core phones, I still enjoy using my Desire Z because I never tire of the transformation aspect from bar to slider, and the fact its addicting to click on keyboards. I find myself looking an excuse to text or tweet just to slide out the keyboard and click on it.

7. headcronie

Looks like root is a no-go. My device was previously upgraded to 2.3.4, but there is only a functioning root package for 2.2. I'm not wanting to run Froyo.
    Oh well, I'll live without it I guess. I sure do miss being able to block apps from the net tho.

It works for what I need it to. :)

8. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Some of the HTC rooting processes involve downgrading to an earlier OS version, my Desire HD was like that where it used a radio exploit in the earlier version to get root access, then was upgraded again as part of the process, can't remember what the process was called though :rolleyes:

HTC's locked bootloaders are a pain, I tried the official HTC method with my sensation and gave up as it required me download this, that, and the other thing, find two left handed toads feet, spin around 360 5 times while counting backwards from 100....ridiculous amount of effort that ultimately I wasn't prepared to endure, the methods on xda devs were far simpler [which wouldn't be hard] but my patience had worn thin enough to not even bother with rooting that particular model.

I'm sure you will stumble across something eventually that does the job, I tend to have a pretty short fuse with anything like this these days [the process is of no interest, just a means to an end] and give myself a couple of weeks before looking at it again :)

9. headcronie

Today is a rainy day. Well, not by the weather. Sunny and wonderful. However, I grew tired of the bloatware apps hogging my valuable and minimal internal storage. I'd seen one too many memory low errors. I'm about to flash Froyo on it now. Been working on it for an hour so far. Oy... yes, the locked bootloader is a pain. But I'm well past that point now. Can't wait to ditch the TWO built in twitter apps. Really? Really? Geeezzzz...

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Okay, it's been 5 minutes. What's happening? Inquiring minds want to know! :newpalm: