New/Stable Version Universal BootLoader

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by chrismrulz, Jul 4, 2007.

1. chrismrulz

chrismrulz Mobile Deity

iPAQ stuck in a bootloader loop?
    Can't flash using HP's tool due to wrong version no. or corrupted rom?
    You're in luck. This is the Universal BootLoader Tool.
    --

This new version should be used instead of the hx4700 bootloader or the old universal bootloader, It's far superior.
    It is a build on the Universal BootLoader,
    It accepts servicepack/.exe files, aswell as .rar, .zip, .cab, .nbf, and .nb0 files.

What has changed since the last Universal BootLoader version:

Now supports flashing under Windows Vista.
    A dialog box will prompt you to install drivers automatically if it detects you are running vista.
    You may need to hold f8 while booting windows, then select 'disable driver signing' for drivers to install.

"Auto-find header length" is now the default option.
    -In the past I only added this as a method that was still being tested, But recently I've looked at alot of different iPAQ roms,
    and found that all the headers would work using this method.
    this means there is no longer a need for the BootLoader launcher too.
    you should be able to use this for all iPAQ's without setting the header length or any other manual options.

Warns if there are spaces in the nbf file path and the temporary directory of the archive's extracted nbf, then exits.
    -There were reasons i didn't do this before. But too many people forget about removing the spaces.

Fixed the UltraEdit Associations screen popping up.
    -Sorry guys, I didn't realize this was happening until i uninstalled UE.

Default directory is up one level.

Download: BootLoader.exe

How to use:
    Put your device in bootloader mode by pressing ITASK+CONTACTS+RESET, and put it in the sync cradle.
    Select an .nbf/.nb0/zip/rar/exe/servicepack file, and let it do the rest.

Note: The combination of keys to put the device in bootloader mode can be different for some devices. google for your device if the above one doesn't work.
    e.g. For the iPAQ HX2000, You press ITASK+CONTACTS+RESET, and you will see "USB CONNECTED". Then you press the CALENDAR button for 2-4 seconds, and it will change to "USB".

Notes:
    Make sure the .nbf filepath you select does not contain spaces or it will warn you and exit.
    e.g. C:\some folder\wm5 os.nbf << WRONG
    C:\some_folder\wm5_os.nbf << CORRECT
    If you are extracting the .nbf from an archive, the path to the bootloader application must also have no spaces, or it will warn you and exit.
    e.g. C:\Boot Loader\Boot Loader.exe << WRONG
    C:\Boot_Loader\BootLoader.exe << CORRECT

Custom settings:
    You can customize settings in the bootloader by creating a settings.ini file in the same folder as bootloader.exe.
    This example shows the options available in the ini configuration file and how they work-

[hexedit]
    bytes = 500 << this specifies you want to remove 500 bytes from the nbf file. (default = null)
    nbf = C:\CE_OS.nbf << this specifies an absolute file path to an nbf file. if specified it will skip the inital selection screen and use this file. (default = null)
    findheader = 1 << if set to 0, it will use the 'bytes' setting. if set to 1, it will search the nbf's header to find where the nb0 image begins. (default = 1)
    [mtty]
    port = \\.\WCEUSBSH001 << specifies the port setting to use in mtty. (default = \\.\WCEUSBSH001)

GUI Version (BETA/STABLE)
    Please download the beta app, use it normally and perform a full flash,
    and note down how the new features do/don't work. then make a new post here about it.
    You won't risk damaging your iPAQ any more than with the stable bootloader versions. Nothing has been changed in the method of which it is flashed.

Download: BootLoader_GUI.exe

It includes a GUI showing the percentage of the rom transferred instead of the mtty console.
    Currently the "Show/Hide Terminal Window" button does not work so don't worry about that.
    But what should work is telling you the percentage of the rom transferred to the device accurately, and show a dialog after the rom has been flashed.
    I'm not 100% certain that the percentage method will work for all devices, thus it is beta.

Updates:
    --Update, 8th July 2007: Just updated the GUI version. added alot of manual checks of the terminal to check for errors and warn you, and also to make sure the rom has definitely been flashed right.
    --Update, 13th August 2008: I've received a few pm's now regarding the tool detected by virus scanners as a trojan. (IM-WORM.win32.Sohanad.cf was one of them)
    Someone found a virus when the tool came out, but it's happening more often after recent updates.
    I assure you, There's no virus, It's the same one everyone else has been using. Virus scanners are wrong alot of the time.
    I suspect it's the methods involved in flashing, controlling other apps, and installing drivers.

--Update, 16th August 2008: Built with new compiler, should fix some vista issues. Added extraction of nb0 inside rar files.
    --Update, 19th August 2008: Built GUI version with new compiler. Included new x64 devcon.exe for installing drivers. Successfully flashed using the GUI and normal version under vista x64.

Credits/Thanks to:
    Chris Malone (Me) - Developing the bootloader, updating threads etc.
    Doug Markell, Jon Reed, Julian Satran, Volker Tristram, Keresztes-Fischer, John McFarlin, David Meyer - Kindly donating to help me get closer to paying for the repair for my iPAQ, as this will alow me to work alot better on the bootloader.
    Abbaml - posting the info for using the bootloader with hx2000 devices.
    Ishman - Re-flashing his iPAQ for the sake of beta testing the GUI version to help out.
    Jim (a.k.a jiminy68) - Providing the link to the thread about the USB drivers for Windows Vista.
    Menneisyys - Providing users of his blog with links to, and information about the bootloader.
    Holvoetn (BH admin) - Allowing another bootloader thread and stickying it.
    Other BrightHand admins - Allowing the thread even with the legal issues it imposes by the ability to even flash HP's 'update' roms. (mobilitysite admins allowed this to start, but new admins deleted the threads about a year later)
    All forum users from BrightHand, Mobilitysite, etc. - Contributing to provide useful information, and supporting the project.

2. Julian_Satran

Julian_Satran Mobile Enthusiast

I've recently ruined my 4700 trying to "upgrade" to WM6. I am trying now you latest (non GUI) bootloader. It is doing better than the previous ones - it is still running. How long will it take to load WM6 (around 130MB)?

3. Julian_Satran

It finally worked with the graphic beta. I will be sending you a contribution immediately. Keep-up the good work.

4. Julian_Satran

oops - please provide a contributing account (preferably Paypal - I will not use Webmoney)

5. Julian_Satran

I did try to move from WM6 to a new version. Bootloader did not help me.
    What do I have to do keep my 4700 in boootload mode (it restarts WM).

6. abbaml

abbaml Mobile Enthusiast

Chris,

No wonder IPAQ USERS of HX2000 Series can not use your Universal Bootloader, because you MISSED Someting in "How to Use".

You said (WRONG):
    Put your device in bootloader mode by pressing ITASK+CONTACTS+RESET, and put it in the sync cradle.

THE CORRECT ONE:
    Put your device in bootloader mode by pressing ITASK+CONTACTS+RESET, and put it in the sync cradle. On IPAQ HX2000 SERIES - YOU WILL SEE "USB CONNECTED", THEN PRESS CALENDAR BUTTON FOR 2-4 SECONDS, IT WILL CHANGE TO "USB".
    THEN Select an .nbf/.nb0/zip/rar/exe/servicepack file, and let it do the rest.

PUT MY NAME IN CREDITS :)

7. chrismrulz

chrismrulz Mobile Deity

Yep, different combination of keys for all devices.
    i'm thinking i should get the universal bootloader back so there can be instructions for each device..

thanks abbaml. didn't know that about the hx2000.

8. hippie2684

hippie2684 Newbie

Hey Guys, First thanks much for all your input... Went from having a paper wieght on my desk to having my HX4700 back up and running. After fussing with the Bootloader macro chris set up, i finally just did it myself after many failed attempts. Mtty was my main problem could not get it to open my device. Finally replaced the drivers in the device manager for the "HP USB Sync" with the wceusbsh ......... FINALLY able to connect.... however would end up with the "Fail to synchronize (1)" error.... after reading around i found no solutions.... Well here's what finally worked for me.... after so many times i had been pasting in my file name, and eventually tried copy n pasting the whole path line.... FOUND IT OUT!!! DON"T COPY PASTE ANYTHING - YOU MUST TYPE FULL FILE PATH and FILE NAME /W EXTENSION.... tried multiple times and this seems to be where my hang up was.... hope this helps some one else out in the same situation.... If this works for you or would like more info plz feel free to let me know, riioo@hotmail.com

THANKS MUCH FOR ALL YOUR TIME AND HARD WORK ON THIS PROJECT Chrismrulz.... hope you read this and if you do plz contact me and let me know if this is what is actually happening in other peoples case..

Thanks again everyone! Happy iPaq'in !

Rio Lundquist

9. chrismrulz

chrismrulz Mobile Deity

glad to hear you got it to work Rio,
    but you really only needed to do that first step, installing the right USB Sync driver. (for xp you can use any activesync driver and vista you just run the bootloader and it will install a special driver)
    unless..
    were you running it on vista?
    i've actually seen some problems recently where it doesn't send the commands properly.
    could just be that it happened to you too.

the good thing about that is though.. if it doesn't work, it just wont work.
    it wont do any damage. so there's no risk trying.
    you can then just try it on an xp machine or typing it in yourself if it doesn't work.

10. hippie2684

hippie2684 Newbie

Yes i am running windows vista, it would not seem to do the driver install on it's own (which is what caused me to not be able to see the right port in mtty, only showing com2, and com3)... and after doing the manual driver install and running the macro i would get hung up when mtty opened, and it would just end up sitting there till. Anyways... read alot of people having similar probs and figured it couldn't hurt to post it. Maybe it was just me...

I guess trying an XP machine would have been a good way to go too... good ol' vista :)

Thanks again, and for the quick reply.

Rio L. de L.