New Solution to Power Button Problem!

Discussion in 'Palm' started by yorker, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yorker

yorker Mobile Deity

Hey everybody! I found out a way to fix power button physically without even opening the T|X.

1. First check if your T|X makes any cracking/loose noises. (If so continue to step 2 if not go to step 3.)

2. If this is the case literally, then it must be that you casing is loose usually caused by the flip cover. So tighten up the screws on the back of the case. Then on the top you can see the black bezel, if it looks like its popping out push it down.

3. Don't panic, but find a skinny knife or something skinny and hard. Where the power button is, you will see ledge/crack surround the power button. So take your knife or whatever and try to lift up the button with knife between the ledges. That's it your done!

Many people's PDA's power button gets stuck but they don't realize it. Next time you press the power button make sure you press it from the middle, not from the side because this would cause the button to incave in the casing.

***There is also another alternative of powering up the T|X, hold the select button for 2-3 seconds and then it will display your clock, with the ok button highlighted, so select ok and your guided to the main screen!***

Does your T|X make cracking noises ? Just want to know. Would love to hear you posts !

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. pipesmoker

pipesmoker Mobile Deity

you could also use the hard keys, e.g. I mainly use avantgo, so have one mapped.

G>

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Gregte

Gregte TX lifer

When I first got my TX the power button worked good for a few weeks but then became a bit harder to press. I took the back off the TX to see why. What I did to completely cure it was to put a small amount of JB-Weld (epoxy) on the back end of the button that presses the plunger on the actual switch, for the purpose of taking up some of the 'freeplay' travel of the button. The extra travel causes you to have to push the button so deep, making it hard to do with a finger. This plus a tiny drop of WD40 on the plunger itself has made my power button work great for over a year now. The slightest touch activates the switch. No hard pressing is ever required.

4. n2ho

n2ho Mobile Enthusiast

My Palm lately developed on/off switch problem after a year of service and I decided to open unit up and look inside with the hope that I will be able to repair it somehow. The process of opening is shown very well here (video):
    http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=RD
    (they call it Tungsten TX) and it was really simple. Switch is soldered to the board and solder joints looked good to me, however to turn unit on or off required multiple pressing on the switch. Replacing it is not a simple task unless you have the right switch and an experience and equipment to deal with multilayer board and surface mounted components.
    Here is what I did.
    I took 100% isopropyl alcohol (do not use rubbing alcohol, it has 30% of water!) and placed tiny drop on the top of the switch while pressing it on/off several times, then repeat the same procedure again and again observing alcohol penetrating inside the switch. I let then the unit dry out for a couple of hours, assembled it and - switch works just fine like new for already 3 months!
    If you would like to try this:
    1. Take off just the back cover and top bezel, don't extract the board from the case. Be careful with the switch - it soldered to the board and supported by plastic case of Palm which holds switch in place, otherwise you risk to break switch off the board by pressing on it.
    2. It is winter now so be very careful, air is dry and static electricity is extremely high and can destroy the unit, so don't touch anything inside unless you ground yourself up (which is recommended anyway).
    3. Do it on your own risk and I wouldn't recommend other chemicals except mentioned above alcohol, any type of contact cleaner could destroy plastic part of the switch.
    Hope it helps.

Regards,
    George

5. Arborguy

Arborguy Coffee

Hey Yorker. Yeah, my T/X makes crackling noises when I compress the edge. I think its the screen sandwiched between the covers making the noise. Anyways, good info, and thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.