New review of the e800

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Eugenia, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eugenia

Eugenia Mobile web developer

I got a special edition of the e800 recently and wrote a review about it:
    http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=13394
    If you must reply, please reply on osnews.com and not here, as I don't visit this page too much to reply or explain stuff if needed.

2. Gerard

Gerard Mobile Deity

Your link in the article to the CAB, from which users are to extract the ace_ddi.dll, seems broken... at least in NetFront I get a 'not a valid URL' error.

And just a suggestion; it's considered poor manners to link to an external article and then ask us to post comments there. If you post here, expect replies here, period. If you check the box which says 'receive updates by email' you'll get notified immediately when replies happen. No need for excuses about not visiting often.

3. Eugenia

The .cab file is correct, but the kind of path on FTP is not supported correctly by Netfront.

As for the "reply to the article" thing, is because I would like to have the discussion in one place, nothing more (email notifications are off on my account, I hate this kind of emails). Of course, people are free to reply wherever they want, there's no question about that.

4. classvino

classvino Mobile Deity

Eugenia;

I read your review - sounded good - one thing you might want to mention (or emphasize if you already did) is that Toshiba is no longer in the PDA market. Granted, I'm happy with my 800, but it's the last Toshiba PDA I'll buy, through no choice of my own...

5. ctorkildson

ctorkildson Newbie

I must be blind, but when I extract the .cab file I don't see any 0ati-ddi.xxxx or anything like that. Is that the right .cab?

6. pdaadp

pdaadp Mobile Deity

nice review...i always enjoy reading these about the tosh, a pda that has been still running strong for 2yrs....and still capable of doing what the latest dells and ipaqs can do (or sometimes even better than those...)

i do sorta disagree with the size of the pda.....

think of it as a minilaptop and size issue will no longer be an issue....

and, is saying the tosh doesnt have wifi really a con if the model you have is the bt only version?

;-)

7. Eugenia

Can't remember exactly the name of that file, it's like 0ati_ddi.Something. It is there. It's the only Xati_ddiXXXX file called as such.

8. Gerard

Gerard Mobile Deity

The DLL in question relates to ATI, but is called ace_ddi.dll once renamed. Inside the CAB it is named 0ace_ddi.xxx (sorry, forgetting the suffix) and so must be renamed before pasting into \Windows.

9. signothefish

signothefish Toshiba e800 Aficionado

You know, I've been thinking lately. Do you think that Toshiba's reputation for cutting-edge technology in Pocket PCs could have also been their demise? I remember when they made the e740. Everyone in the world jumped on it. But it was a double-edged sword. One... it had such lousy quality that a lot of future customers bailed on Toshiba in favor of Axims and Ipaqs. Two... they were so inundated with repairs of the e740 that it forced them out of the PDA market. Probably about the time they figured this out, they already had begun prototypes of the e750 and e800, so they decided to push them on to market. I think the e800 was their last gasp for air. Too little, too late. After all the costs vs profits were determined (which probably took a while to ultimately consolidate all the figures), I wonder if they actually ended up in the negative. It's a real pity, because I wonder if other vendors have learned from Toshiba's mistake, and it's kept them from being innovative. Besides adding a phone, just what has changed in the Pocket PC market since the e800 was introduced? Absolutely nada. That's why it didn't bother me one iota to get the same replacement for my defective unit. To this day, I lament the fact that Toshiba dropped out of the market. If they got back in, it would be huge news... plastered all over every Pocket PC enthusiast site in the world.

10. Eugenia

> Do you think that Toshiba's reputation for cutting-edge technology in Pocket PCs could have also been their demise?

No, the problem was three fold:
    1. Expensive units. When a Clie or Dell at the time could be bought for $300, Toshiba's cheapest offerings was at $500.
    2. Not enough marketing and PR (especially in USA). What was the last time they gave away units to online magazines for reviews? The few reviews found online are just because these editors actually bought the devices.
    3. No penetration to the main PDA market in USA: businesses. HP and Dell already had a foothold in the enterprise with their other products, so it was easy to throw PDAs in their mix. Toshiba had none of this sort of foothold. So their sales were mostly directed to few individuals and combined with the high prices, very few bought these units.

Toshiba had no chance. They did try to do their best product-wise, because I can see that from the amount of unique applications they developed for WindowsMobile, including a full bluetooth stack, which is not an easy thing to code. But they had no strategy, and that cost them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.