New Q?: Nuvi 295W

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by icreadence, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icreadence

icreadence Mobile Enthusiast

Anyone try this thingy. It seems to be a Nuvi with Email and Web (with contact lists calendar...). It runs Linux so It should be possible to add apps.
    $194 at the big A

2. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Mobile Deity

In one of the reviews I read it says it uses WebKit for the web browser so I'm pretty sure you will not be able to load and run other apps. With only a browser and navigation functions, this is a long way from being an iQue replacement. It will be a good fit for some, especially if you have been wanting a snapshot camera with built-in geotagging ability, but not for anyone who is a serious user of the Palm applications and the Palm Desktop on their iQue 3600 or equivalent features on the M* models.

I was surprised to see in the reviews that it's only a standard size Nuvi screen (3.5"). I had been under the impression that a "W" on the end always meant a Widescreen model (typically 4.5"). The small screen would make it a non-starter for me for both navigation and browsing.

...ken...

3. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

Only thing I read in reviews, that got my attention, was, the browser on wifi was "Slooooooowwww" and I kinda quote there. Thats what the reviewer said. He said it was slower than his browser on 3g. I didn't need to read further.

4. lcole07

lcole07 Mobile Enthusiast

Okay, I have the 295w, and while they are still going to have to pry the three iQue's out my cold dead hands, this unit is just what I was looking for. It is slow loading web pages, but for my G-mail it works fine. It has a 3mg camera, so-so pictures, it plays MP3', I have 6 hr worth, and it has a calculator and a few other aps. The main thing I miss is syncing the address book and calendar with my Google site. Other things, it will go vertical like the iQue, also you can use you current base with the unit. You also can use mapsource to download you trips and upload all the things you can do with the iQue. The screen is very bright and very sharp, so all and all for me it's a keeper.
    Larry - Hobe Sound, Fl

Also:
    It was $149 at Amazon

5. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

Is this a phone?

6. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Mobile Deity

You mean the Nuvi 295W?

No, it's a GPS with a few other functions added. But no phone.

...ken...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.