'New Posts"

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements' started by Varjak, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

It happened again. I clicked 'new posts' and got 85 results. The first two pages read fine. When I went to click the 3rd page (51-60) it told me there were no matches. I used the previous suggestion to use this search method:

http://forum.brighthand.com/search.php?do=getdaily&days=3

Which gave me 60 results. No matter what number I add to the end (3, 4, 5, 10) I get the same 60 results. So 25 results disappeared. I really wish that BH would implement a ROBUST function that would let me retrieve ALL the new threads updated since my last visit and KEEP THEM, and not have them vanish or be impossible to access.

Can someone tell me another way to possibly find the updated threads?

Thanks.

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Showing results 1 to 20 of 88
    Search took 0.04 seconds. Search: Posts From Last Day

just ran your link, results above. just a guess: try clearing your cache and try again. or can you think of another way that BH keeps track of what you've read?

another way, I think, is to try another browser, possibly not logged in; to the best of my knowledge, that function will work even if not logged in.

3. RickAgresta

and if you really want to keep them, open each page in a new tab/window, before you begin reading them.

4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

When viewing the search as you like to do, do the following:

Open each page of search results, in a new tab. In this case, you would have had 3 tabs. Browse at your leisure.

This method has never failed me once.

5. headcronie

Sneaky, sneaky... my secret is out...

6. RickAgresta

well, I don't actually use the technique here, but I do at icanhascheezburger.com ;)

7. headcronie

Mmmmm.. thanks RA. My critter and I are laughing hard now. :D

8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

What EXACT string did you run? What did you set 'days' = to? I ran it over and over and only got 60 (and then 61 after this thread was added). How did you actually use the 'string?' Did you cut and paste to notepad (I use WordPerfect actually) and then click the link that's created?

I may try the tabs approach or even paging through EVERY page first, and then going back tor read them, although the ability to go back might disappear as well.

Thanks all.

9. RickAgresta

the only thing I did was click your link; clicked that same link just now (previewed this response) and there were 87; keep in mind, too, that the number will go down as you read the new posts.

EDIT: of the 87, 80 were listed *below* this statement:
    The threads below have not been updated since your last visit or since forums have been marked read.

10. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Wow. Now I get 87 too. It didn't work yesterday. However, I don't know how representative that is; because it now includes TODAY'S posts.

The log-in/log-out is part of the problem. Once you've logged in, it assumes that you've seen all these threads (in the original 'get new posts.'). When you use this string, you can get all the posts, though some are not in bold, because BH has assumed you've already had a chance to see them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.