New One...Three questions about TX!

Discussion in 'Themes and Skins (Palm OS)' started by blackheart, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackheart

blackheart Mobile Enthusiast

Hey guys. I am new here(not really). I've been browsing the forums since february(since I got my TX) and today I decided to join!

I have some questions in regards to my TX. I never really used it that much because of the ugly Interface of Palm OS(how dumb could I be...). I installe d UISkin today and it completely changed the way I look at my TX. I found some nice apps for it also.

I have a few problems...

1) The dark gray color of the keyboard is annoying me. Could I change it to a lighter gray or lighter blue so it goes well with my Apple theme from UIskin? Please don't say to use a launcher. I prefer the original launcher. If not, which is the best freeware launcher that could change that ugly color keyboard?

2) The keyboard also comes up sometimes when I don't want it to and the button to hide it is grayed out. How can I solve it. For example in Memo, portrait mode, it comes out by default and I can not put it back. How could I solve this.

3) The home button(which I use very often to quit applications) is becoming loose. Is it going to break if I will use it so much in the future? Is there any way I could quit every single app with a button or a movement on the touch screen?

4) Where can I find some nice skins for it? A linux skin would be eyecandy!

2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Welcome to Brigthand, blackheart.

1) There is a wonderful program called MyKbd which you will find HERE. It is not free, but has certain functions you don't have to buy it to use. I believe one of them is to change the color of your keyboard. This program is well worth the money, by the way.

2. This generally happens with older palm programs or newer Treo programs that cannot do 320 x 480. It should not be happening with Memos. Something is wrong here, but I can't tell you what.

3. Another free function of MyKbd is to add a home button to the button bar at the bottom of the screen.

4. I have a very nice Linux theme on my TX, but it requires Zlauncher. In general, you will need a third party launcher to do a lot with with themes.

3. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand blackheart. :newpalm:

I lurked for quite a while before I joined.

Hook provides solid advice. He's been around the Palm block a few times (including the sketchy neighborhoods). ;)

4. blackheart

Thanks. I used mykbd before but since my parents are against Internet Paymetns with Credit Cards, I am stuck as I don't own a credit card. Still It would be just OK if i could change the color of it. Not only the keyboard...but the gray bar on the bottom of the screen too! Make it blue or something like I saw in a vista iSpin theme. MyKBD is trial. All the stuff expires after one month I think! Is there any other way except myKBD?

THANK YOU GUYS!

5. wozofoz

wozofoz Time Traveller

Welcome to BrightHand blackheart :)

myKbd/mySkin is the only way to change your keyboard colors etc and to change the look of the StatusBar (bottom bar) that I know of.
    Using myKbd, you can keep the original Palm keyboard if you like and just change it's color using the features in the myKbd Menu.
    Personally, I love the Atomic keyboard and I am using it now to write this Post.
    Although I have a foldup keyboard it only gets unfolded for writing novels etc :D All other times I use the myKbd Atomic, it is very fast once you get used to it ;)

I use this StatusBar Skin by FerdFerd and there are many others

If the credit card payment system is the only thing stopping you from buying myKbd then maybe you could find a friend who can pay for it by credit card and you pay them cash ?

As mentioned before myKbd will put a HomeButton on your StatusBar instead of the Search button and this feature (plus myKbd HardButton Macros) will remain when the trial period expires, so in the end it's free :)

You say that you have only had your TX since Febuary and not used it much but the Home HardButton is 'loose', this is not good.
    I would keep an eye on this and all the buttons and be prepared to exchange it while it is still under warranty.

Enjoy your TX :)

All the best, woz of oz

6. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

Actually, there is a freeware app called keycolor (works with T3, T5, and TX). All keycolor does is change the color. Unlike myskin, it doesn't add any cool effects or bitmaps. I used it before I found mySkin/mykbd. I don't use mykbd because I like QWERTY just fine, thank you. ;) I see no reason to mess with different keyboard arrangements. Just makes it confusing when I have to type on my 'puter. And I'm better off writing with G2 than I am pecking at a tiny keyboard...
    If you are good with something like Paint.NET or Photoshop, you can install a utility called PFCD to decompile .prc and .pdb files. Then you can just copy StatusBarResources.prc to your computer, use PFCD to decompile it and edit the bitmaps. Then, copy it to your card, and using something like FileZ to copy it to RAM (if your file manager asks you if you want to overwrite something, say yes.), then soft reset immediately afterwards. It should use the resources you changed, and you now have, e.g. a Mac OS Tiger skin. I have myskin, which simplifies the process a lot. :D

7. wozofoz

wozofoz Time Traveller

Thanks for the info about KeyColor, I didn't know about that one :)

Since I don't own a Chunky Computer the QUIRKY keyboard is alien to me and I just sit there staring at it, wondering:
    Why is it so :confused: :D

All the best, woz of oz

8. blackheart

Thank You very much! All of you. I did use myskin and changed the ugly color of the keyboard and the bar. I plan to get a wireless keyboard for my TX. The gray color was just bugging me. I hope it will keep this color after it expires.

I bought my Palm in february, when I was living in the USA. I moved in Europe( :(( ) and I am afraid I can not exchange it very often. I guess I just have to stop using the buttons.

One more question I have. I guess I should make a new thread for this... I saw some iPhone headphones and they come with a microphone. If I had those headphones, would the mic work on the TX?

9. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Much to H's horror, I use MySkin with a qwerty keyboard. Between my Neo and Computers, I try and minimize the amount of typing I have to do on the PDA (frankly, with the Neo, my PWK is collecting dust). However, I really like not having to switch virtual keyboards to get numbers and special characters and to customize the look of the keyboard as well as which special charaters and where they are located. To me, MyKbd is worth every penny. :)

Of course, that's just me. ;)

10. FerdFerd

FerdFerd Recovering Palm Fiddler

Your new keyboard color and any DIA/status bar skins you have installed will stay after the trial of mySkin/myKbd expires, but you won't be able to make any changes after that, except to go back to the original. If you are happy with your changes when the trial expires, then you're good.

For myself, I fiddle a lot and like to make minor changes from time to time. Except for the no online credit payments you have to live with, you would find quite a few programs by Alex Pruss that are worth paying for. This pair is one. (Most of his stuff is free - and you owe it to yourself to explore his offerings.)

Oh, and woz - nice to know you are using my status bar skin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.