New Gmail Activesync with Versamail

Discussion in 'Email/Messaging (Palm OS)' started by patrickdylan, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrickdylan

patrickdylan Mobile Evangelist

Anyone try the new Gmail exchange/activesync with versamail? (they've added gmail to the exchange server that already was working with calendar and contacts, so iphone and WM users can now have push gmail) I have a TX with versamail 3.1, and during account setup I successfully "tested" the connection, but got an error when trying to actually sync. I suspect I might need the versamail 3.5 update, but I'm not sure if it would work either.

I use multiple google calendars, and it appears that on platforms other than the iPhone/iTouch (e.g. windows mobile or palm OS) you can only sync the main google calendar, and not the others. I'm already successfully 3-way syncing multiple google calendars with iCal and my palm, so this limitation on Google's activesync would be a non-starter for me... but I'm still curious whether anyone's gotten versamail 3.5 to successfully sync with Google exchange.

2. Radon222

Radon222 Mobile Deity

I can't help you with anything Palm or Versamail specific, but Google had a few hiccups with the new email synch rollout which might be part of your trouble. You can read more about it in this thread.

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=271863

3. patrickdylan

Interesting, thanks! Since I could successfully "test" the connection but not sync, I wonder if it's a client problem or server problem? If anyone gets it to work with 3.1 or 3.5 let us know!

4. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Google Sync should be up and running today, so any issues you are having are probably on the configuration side.

have you used other exchange setups with VersaMail? Do they work?

5. patrickdylan

Thanks, I haven't used any other exchange servers, just pop & imap. I'll try it from home later on and see what happens. Thanks.

6. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

No problem...

Silly question but does versamail support exchange? That could be your issue. I didn't realize Palm OS had activesync support...

7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Palm can do ActiveSync with Versamail, and with Chatteremail. I used the latter on my 755, and it worked quite well. VersaMail didn't play nice with my exchange server.

8. patrickdylan

Yup, in theory it does, and loads of people have used it with corporate exchange servers. I have not personally, though.

9. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

What is the process? Do I delete my old gmail account on versamail and start from scratch? Or can I modify it in some way? Frankly, push email on my LD isn't crucial; but maybe it would be nice.