New Details Emerge on Microsoft's Folding, Dual-Screen Tablet Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Microsoft apparently continues to work on its Courier project as it develops this e-book reader and digital journal. According to the latest information to leak out, this device will be smaller and have more in common with Microsoft's other mobile devices than previously thought.

Read the full content of this Article: New Details Emerge on Microsoft's Folding, Dual-Screen Tablet

Related Articles:

Future Android-Based Tablets from Dell Will Have Larger Displays

Apple iPad Is Going to Be a Bit Late

Sony Working on an PlayStation Phone and an iPad Competitor

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

This is so cool. Love the industrial design. And if the software UI is like the initial videos, it would be great. I wonder of if it will have much internal space (32gb) and how MS's Azure services wll connect to it.

3. TamaraDigi

TamaraDigi Newbie

OMG – the courier looks amazing; the iPad has a serious contender on its hands. However the two products offer completely different functions, the iPad is a multimedia/entertainment tool, whilst the Courier is a ‘work friendly’ glorified notebook with multimedia capabilities. I think the progression of natural user interface technology should persuade software companies to encourage us to develop more relevant natural skills and enable new technologies. The Global Graphics Blog explains it in more detail... bit dot ly forwardslash GlobalGraphicsBlog

4. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Mobile Deity

If this is work friendly I think it may be the perfect tool for writers. With good PIM and a virtual keyboard this is EXACTLY what I want, I mean, EXACTLY.

I wonder (read fear) what the pricing will be like. <$500 range, $500-$750, >$750?

5. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I don't exactly dig the Courier, but from a reader's perspective, I think having a smartphone and media tablet of the same OS makes some sense, and would make things like synchronizing between readerware easier for developers, so you're always on the same page on the go or comfortable lounging in your recliner.

I just wish the OS heads didn't have quite so much iPhone envy. I wish they could look at the iPhone and their own past, objectively, and create their own space (which there is plenty of room for) rather than copying Apple's. I anticipate my own combo will probably consist of an android tablet and android smartphone, but I welcome MS's participation in refining my future field of options.

The downside of the form factor, from a media tablet perspective, is having all that screen real estate laid out so that half, or more than half (depending on source AR) ends up not getting used during video playback. Obviously if you have little interest in playback, that's not much of a downside. Plus, if you throw in decent video out, you're only using the built in screens for video when you're inbetween larger screens.

6. belliott4488

belliott4488 Mobile Deity

Whoa!! That's so cool! This is literally the first time I've said that about anything from MS in over a decade. I wonder how well the implementation will work, because I think there are some really nice ideas going on there.

Of course, ideas can't be copyrighted, so even if MS's device doesn't live up to its promise, there's a good chance someone else's will (hello Android, hello Chrome), so I look forward to that day.

7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I just wonder how much extra utility one gets from having TWO screens in that orientation? Yes, I guess having two apps open and visible, or two pages of an e-book; but for that capability, one gets something that's a bit awkward to use (unless one is reading it like a book as in the picture in the article). I'll have to see how it works in the real world.

8. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Best modern example I could say is to find a kid with a Nintendo DS/DS Lite/DSi and just sit and watch as they go between entertainment games, web, and a few learning apps/games. Then you'll see ;)

9. xconan

xconan Mobile Consultant

if this goin to be a blackbook for some people it should have some biometric capability included. all aside i hope they also included functions and apps for an engineering, bio, chem, math or physics student, basically a mad scientist student's notepad too...

10. belliott4488

belliott4488 Mobile Deity

I've long wondered if having two screens could work, for the obvious reason that you can then fold the device. I have to say that I like the interface concept in their video a lot. You have the two-page view for books etc., but at other times it's much like the way I like to work on a dual-head desktop system: one screen has a full-screen view of whatever I'm focusing on at the moment, and the other has a collection of relevant "stuff", be that icons or multiple other windows. I also like that dock in the middle for the clipboard (whatever they called it ...) - the "journal" paradigm is just working for me.

Not so sure about the utility of the cute "sliced pie" context menu, but that's relatively minor. ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.